Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • maxle lite rear – how fragile? (cos i've just bust one)
  • captain_bastard
    Free Member

I’ve just broken the alloy collar you use to tighten a maxel (rear). Didn’t take much effort to break it – looks like it’s designed to snap off? (there is a slit on each side to weaken it at exactly that point)

is this a common occurance? I’d hate to think i need a ready supply of spares, reading other forums, some riders have taken to carring a spare axel!

am i doing something wrong – or is it a common problem?

wwaswas

sounds like it’s to stop you over torqueing the axle.

are there instructions on how to fit it?

captain_bastard
    Free Member

no instructions as such – just the sort of picture ‘instruction’ you’d get with a piece of self assembly furniture (ie – of no use)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ArcticBeast
    Free Member

Yep I’ve broken two of them, before realising that the threads on the frame needed chasing to remove from of the pain, maybe you need to look at that instead?
    luckiily i managed to get them replaced under warranty so it might be worth giving that a go.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

not sure what hub/axle diameter you use but if you’ve got Pro 2 which are known to snap 12mm axles you might want to replace it with this (many owners use the similar BETD axle but it is 45 quid).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26370

If you want to keep the maxle lite have a look at uk bike store, they sell a spares kit for it for £25 (new maxle lite is ~£45). Personally I’d get the abba axle, its not heavy and is probably stiffer and stronger than a maxle (and only needs an allen key to undo).

captain_bastard
    Free Member

it’s a 142 x 12 so abba axel doesn’t fit, shame looks much better

does worry me – i can see lots of breakages, going to alps in a few weeks, don’t want to be stuck with a broken / useless bike

think i’ll have a look for a 142 x 12 alternative axel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘maxle lite rear – how fragile? (cos i've just bust one)’ is closed to new replies.