Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Marathon time – It's London baby!
  • matt_bl
    Free Member

After four years of trying I have finally got a place in the London marathon, through the ballot!

So time to put down the cake, dust off the running shoes and get ready for a PB.

I know it’s going to be big, noisy and a scrum from start to finish, but I am looking forward to it already. Anyone else get lucky?

Matt

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve not got an entry but my office manager did.

emsz
    Free Member

a married couple I run with applied, he got in, she didn’t!!!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Got the “You’re a failure magazine” yesterday, but my local running club gets given a few places so there’s always the chance of getting one of those.

Jamie
    Free Member

I didn’t get a entry 😡

…but to fair, I didn’t enter. Gave up after several years.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I think I’d have given up on the whole thing if I wasn’t guaranteed a place in 2013. I’ve done Edinburgh twice in the meantime, which is a excellent race, if you don’t mind freaky weather.

I don’t know what the odds are through the ballot, people used to quote 1 in 5, but they seem to be getting worse.

Matt

29erKeith
    Free Member

Took me 4 years, to get in, did it once, hated it, will never do London again (unless I get in on a “good for age” start).

What sort of time are you after? The quicker the better I’d say, less and less chance of incredibly optimistic idiots in your way for the first 13 odd miles, most of which should be 2 pens back from where they do start. ruined it for me 🙁

Be careful really setting your heart on a PB.

Honestly though, hope you enjoy it.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Edinburgh is high on my list, heard nothing but good about it too.

Jamie
    Free Member

I don’t know what the odds are through the ballot, people used to quote 1 in 5, but they seem to be getting worse.

As long as some nob off the telly can get a ticket it’s just fine…..saying that, they will probably raise more money than I which seems to be the point of the marathon now.

Might give Brighton a go. Looks a nicer route.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Mate did Edinburgh this year. Said the run was ok, but the finish was a shambles, but the finish point had changed from previous years.

matt_bl
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member
    Mate did Edinburgh this year. Said the run was ok, but the finish was a shambles, but the finish point had changed from previous years.

The finish this year was a complete balls-up. You turned a corner and then had 385 yards to run which was fantastic, but they had contrived to keep the majority of supporters away from the run-in!

The post-finish and baggage reclaim was all in a line down quite a narrow street and it was an absolute log jam.

The finish has changed for this year, presumably because of the feedback from runners, everyone I met mentioned it!

Having said that I would do it again with the same finish, the course is good (more challenging than they make out) and the crowds, although not in the same league as London, do a fantastic job of encouraging the runners. Now if they could hide the power station for a day, so that you can’t see how far away it is, that would be perfect!

Matt

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I fancy a go at Berlin.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Berlin is supposed to be excellent: flat and fast. I’ve done Florence (good course; fantastic city; painful cobbled streets at the end) and Dublin (great atmosphere; bigger hills and some boring stuff around the Stillorgan Road). I don’t think I’d fancy London at all.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Dublin is good, one of my fav’s, a few dull bits 20 odd miles in but good route, well organised, I’d do it again

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’m awaiting on getting a ‘golden ticket’ place through The Stroke Association.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Marathon time – It's London baby!’ is closed to new replies.