Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • M & S Insurance – renewal and policy changes
  • cinnamon_girl

Apologies if this has been discussed before!

Renewal came through with policy changes that now includes NOT having to inform them of items over £4K.

Section on pedal cycles now states that you have to inform them of any over £2K.

So … is this a way of increasing premiums? Has anyone informed them of the real value of bike/s? Did you get charged extra?

cynical c_g

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah it’s been covered on a few threads recently (my renewal hasn’t come through yet though). It will mean your policy increasing if you have £2k+ bikes (that said I already had one bike worth £5k and that’s costing me about £35 as a named item so I’m not expecting the increase to be horrific for me as I only have one other bike worth over £2k). If you don’t inform them then you won’t be covered for them and you’ll likely invalidate your whole insurance policy so not a wise course of action!

andymac
    Free Member

I have renewed with M&S and specified a couple of bikes. However, by upping the excess on everything from £50 to £100 I kept the premium only a little higher. The excess is per claim rather than every item so doesn’t seem too bad to me.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes it’s worth heaping on the excess if you intend to keep your insurance as a “when the house gets cleared out” contingency, rather than the “oops, scratched the back of my phone, best get a new one” philosophy!

cinnamon_girl

Thanks very much guys but hadn’t see the other thread.

Just been on the phone and my premium would double! Have 3 bikes over their limit plus 2 that are under.

Explained my dissatisfaction particularly as my gaff is like Fort Knox and that I would be getting other quotes.

I also explained my security arrangements in an attempt to show that I take this seriously and am responsible.

trail_rat
    Free Member

and CG they probably view the fact you have taken your security seriously that you feel its a high risk area and items – loaded premium accordingly.

i have security but i dont tell the insurance that – the day it gets nicked will be the one day i didnt lock them up for somereason.

cinnamon_girl

trail_rat – sorry but I disagree. Don’t most people look after their possessions ie locking their car, closing their house windows etc etc.

I tried to explain about how difficult it is to value due to upgrades so that any figures I give aren’t a true reflection of the cost of replacing.

Followed this by asking how they would go about valuing a bike if something happened. That got them!

Dear me, I’m the customer from hell. 👿

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Don’t most people look after their possessions ie locking their car, closing their house windows etc etc.”

people are surprisingly complacent IME – then wonder why they got robbed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Has anyone informed them of the real value of bike/s? Did you get charged extra?

was about £50 extra to insure one for £4.5 k
    Overall still competitive but others were a little cheaper but M & S seem good if you need to claim so i stuck with them

FuzzyWuzzy

For M&S it’s new for old cover so your valuations do need to based on the replacement costs with a new bike of equivalent spec, it’s not that difficult to work out really (as a decent approximation), better to err on the side of slightly over-estimating to as it shouldn’t add much to the premium but means you won’t be short should the worst happen (they won’t worm out paying on under/over valuation clauses if you’re pretty close).

chakaping
    Free Member

Followed this by asking how they would go about valuing a bike if something happened. That got them!

They get a very thorough chap at Wheelies to talk to you for ages about your bike that was nicked.

Your increase seems steeper than others have mentioned CG. Have you had to make a claim?

cinnamon_girl

I only have contents cover with them. Made a claim for repairs to my road bike following accident. I wouldn’t say that premium has increased per se, more a case of them being downright underhand with their changes.

I’ve seen a company called LV being mentioned, who is that please?

Junkyard
    Free Member

LV -= LOVE no idea of what they are like tbh

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

TBF C_G your insuring 3 bikes over their limit of 2k right? surely thats why its doubled?!?!

if you just had one over the limit i doubt it would be much more, its now obviously done per bike over 2k and you have 3, so basically like 3 seperate bike insurance policies i guess

as above, quoted online was only just over what paying now if increase the excess – just on standard cover from premier at the mo, but i dont need all the premier stuff anyways, so im pretty chuffed

edit – ps i only have one bike!

njee20
    Free Member

and CG they probably view the fact you have taken your security seriously that you feel its a high risk area and items – loaded premium accordingly.

You give them too much credit, they’re telesales monkeys working on a “computer says no” type basis. All the pricing is pre-determined, at most they’ll have tick boxes!

LV -= LOVE no idea of what they are like tbh

No it’s not, they’re called Liverpool Victoria, well reputed.

IHN

Try MoreThan too, you’ll need to specify over £1500 but I’ve just insured with them with an £1800, £2000 and £3000 bike and they came in much cheaper than my Co-Op renewal.

Do a webquote, put a phone number on it and, if you get the same as me, someone will call you within about an hour and requote at a much cheaper price…

njee20
    Free Member

Do a webquote, put a phone number on it and, if you get the same as me, someone will call you within about an hour and requote at a much cheaper price…

I had that too, they weren’t all that much more than M&S at the time (on their old terms)

infradig
    Free Member

I got a better deal going directly through AXA (who underwrite M&S) for my contents instead of renewing with a listed £4K bike with M&S

Junkyard
    Free Member

njee i am reading too much into their logo – i even have car insurance with them 😳

njee20
    Free Member

To be fair it’s their marketing campaign – the whole LV/Love thing, but yes they’re called Liverpool Victoria, been around for years.

br
    Free Member

M&S wanted and extra £60 to cover my main bike to £4k, so I’ve just stuck at the £2k level.

The value of extra premium will probably depend on the overall premium anyway, and as ours is pretty cheap that’s probably way its quite a lot more.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

not sure that will work BR you cant surely just say well give me 2k worth of money then in event of a claim?

i know your obviously willing to write off the 2k on your bike and just take the 2k, but thats surely just classed as under insuring should you come to claim?

njee20
    Free Member

You’d have to ask them – they may give you the first £2k, or they may say that as the item was above £2k and not specified it’s uninsured. I’d not be hedging my bets it’s the former!

Kato

My insurer refused to under insure my bikes. Have just got a quote with Shelias Wheels for contents only with specified bikes of £2500, £1000 and £1000 and it was £21 a month

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

You’d have to ask them – they may give you the first £2k, or they may say that as the item was above £2k and not specified it’s uninsured. I’d not be hedging my bets it’s the former!

yep agreed it maybe worth a call but unless you have it in writing, id not be risking it, when MR/MRS Assesor comes and trys to save a few quid for his department in the event of a claim, these sort of loop holes must be a thing of beauty to them…they may tell you on the phone its fine, but again id be wanting it in writing, especially if you have receipts that clearly go way over the 2k limit

spooky_b329

I’d like to know what they say about under-insuring, we have one bike that was £2100, I reckon that extra £100 can be lost as its got cheaper tyres and a much cheaper saddle than originally specced.

cinnamon_girl

Couple of questions if I may …

I have two secondhand frames so how should I go about valuing those? State what I paid for them?

Also I’m going to include the build cost of each bike, seems fair enough surely?

Like most people, I only used M & S Contents insurance for their bike cover, specifically their Premier Contents. They will undoubtedly lose some customers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you have to say how much you need to buy the bike new not what you spent as it is new for old

njee20
    Free Member

But they’ll pay out far less for expensive stolen bikes!

The company may want a valuation for second hand bikes, although likely only to be when it’s nicked! Your LBS should be able to oblige.

cinnamon_girl

Just got a quote from LV for contents only cover – £1,200 😯

chakaping
    Free Member

But they’ll pay out far less for expensive stolen bikes!

Who? M&S?

They pay out based on the full new value, very generous.

cinnamon_girl

According to LV, the figure they would pay out would be the valuation. Again I tried to explain that components have been bought at different times.

So … if a £4K bike got stolen, I wouldn’t be able to replace it, like for like, for £4K. 😐

My head hurts!

br
    Free Member

Since the only info M&S wanted for a £4k ‘custom’ bike was the frame name I’d say not. If you have to claim, then its the frame name and ‘Shimano’ in every ‘box’ except the fork. Not everyone is geeky enough to know the exact spec.

xiphon
    Free Member

CG – when we got ‘cleaned out’, they did a like for like replacement on everything.

£300 custom build of second hand parts (including 10 year old frame with slightly ovalised head tube) = £3,000 ‘like for like’ replacement. I just had to provide photographic evidence that I had the bikes in my possession.

Absolutely bananas policy, but I didn’t complain.

EDIT:

Two DH bikes, two XC bikes, and 2 road bikes. Total was probably around £15-18k in replacements?

Between phoning the police to register the burglary, and receiving the payment via bank transfer = 14 days.

cinnamon_girl

xiphon – is that M & S?

xiphon
    Free Member

Yes. Although it was a couple of years ago now. We’re still with them.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks xiphon. M & S is actually beginning to look favourable. Was certainly impressed with how they dealt with my accident claim.

sponge999
    Free Member

M&S wanted and extra £60 to cover my main bike to £4k, so I’ve just stuck at the £2k level.

The value of extra premium will probably depend on the overall premium anyway, and as ours is pretty cheap that’s probably way its quite a lot more.

The way I read their amendments (and a few others have also mentioned it) is that in your example you’re not covered AT ALL: Don’t specify a bike over £2k and that bike is NOT covered in any way, for any amount.

Even if it was, the way insurance works is they would regard a £4000 item insured for £2000 as being 50% under-insured and they would only pay out £1k.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condition_of_average

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, I sincerely doubt they’ll pay out a penny if you’re under insuring.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘M & S Insurance – renewal and policy changes’ is closed to new replies.