Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • M & S home insurance renewal – beware!
  • cinnamon_girl

There is a glitch in the system so check your policy renewal carefully. I have their Contents cover but renewal was showing Buildings cover too. Contacted them about this and then received another policy which is showing the incorrect amount too.

They are in the process of changing their Underwriters and it seems to be causing all sorts of problems.

freddyg
    Free Member

We were with M&S for quite a while (recommendation from here, actually) until their premiums went through the roof a couple of years ago. Might be worth a re-visit??

grievoustim
    Free Member

don't accept renewal!

cancel and re-enrol online – can potentially save hundreds

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

don't accept renewal!

+1!!!

Ohh, yes, never accept the renewal. Does anybody really do that anyway?

The AA quoted us £125 or so for our breakdown cover. I checked the online price, £30 cheaper. One phone call and they matched the online price….

nodrog2
    Free Member

Just re-newed our M&S policy. Our premium went right up so we cancelled the policy and re-newed on line to get a much better deal (talking hundreds cheaper!). Also if you re-new through quidco, you get £30 cash back 🙂

votchy
    Free Member

Who are they changing underwriters to? Thought they changed not so long ago from Aviva to Axa

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Does anybody really do that anyway?

Err…

In my defence we had other things on our minds so continued with two renewals through The AA and were paying £800 for house/contents (all risk inc. valuable items etc so pretty much everything covered).

Just changed over to M&S and similar cover (only different in that it is better) and it is £380.

I am annoyed at myself for not changing over sooner.

StirlingCrispin

don't accept renewal!

+2

I saved in excess of £300 by doing this.
    Just make sure you overlap the policies by a day or two.

You have 45-days to cancel the renewal, with a full refund being issued. Leave it late enough and you may even get a month's free insurance!

brick
    Free Member

Who will be underwriting them now? We have contents with M&S but they wouldn't give us buildings as some properties in the SE9 area have subsidence issues. I think that was an AXA policy…I wonder if it will change with the new underwriter?

Harry_the_Spider

votchy – Member
    Who are they changing underwriters to? Thought they changed not so long ago from Aviva to Axa

AXA. Currently dealing with them after LCD TV / Tape measure interface.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I just found out I've had 1 buildings, 1 contents and 1 buildings & contents policy running at the same time for the last 15 months.

Remortgaged Nov 08, one of the conditions was we take their B&C insurance. Completely forgot to cancel the separate policies, until now. Saved loadsamoney now, shame I didn't do it earlier

ART

Yeah posted about this before. My M&S renewal went through the roof this year. Couldn't get a cheaper deal by cancelling as the new underwriter had decided we now live in a flood risk area … er we don't, but their postcode approach doesn't allow for the real world. As we have an existing policy they agreed to continue our cover but I had to drop some cover, raise excess to get the price down (it had gone up by £300!!!). Doesn't bode well I have to say. 👿

Kit
    Free Member

don't accept renewal!

-1 As said, potentially! I am at no advantage to cancel and take out a new policy – looked at that last year and my insurance rockets up. M&S doubled when I moved to the flat I'm in without any proper explanation (I did ask on the phone). Seems I'm in a flood (no way, 2nd floor flat) and subsidence (well, yeah there's some cracks in the plaster) risk area 🙁

dropoff

Funny. We've just had our renewal quote for house & contents from LLoyds. It's gone from £273 to £1810. I don't think so.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘M & S home insurance renewal – beware!’ is closed to new replies.