Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Long travel carbon 29er (titus content)
  • Rorschach
    Free Member

This could be interesting (from Brant’s twittings)

The drawing of the El Guapo Carbon 29 has 140mm of rear travel

Also

Unfortunately it also has a 78deg seat angle. This isn’t going well.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Kingdom bike have a 140mm travel carbon 29er out soon too.

Its not got a 78 degree seat angle tho !

Rorschach
    Free Member

I think the Titus is a little more likely to happen….

rs
    Free Member

just needs the standard 29er bend in the seat tube…

brant
    Free Member

I’ve got it to 130mm with a 73deg seat angle and clearance for 2.5in tyres now.
    Still fettling.

brant
    Free Member

just needs the standard 29er bend in the seat tube…

that’s the one thing I didn’t want.

Much easier if I do that. But I have a straight (forward offset a bit) one right now.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Will the main pivot still have the same bearing size that motolites/racerx etc had over the years?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Tbh I reckon 120mm out back would be more than enough (especially if you can keep the chainstays under 18″) with 120/140 upfront.
    Despite just buying a 140mm 29er fork, I’m not totally convinced it’d be any better than a 26″ 140mm bike for grrr/tech stuff (that said the Lenz works quite well).
    As long as it gets to market before the 10-4 😉

martinxyz
    Free Member

Oh,i hear a few folk yapping in my earpiece…

One of them asks if the rear end can be split in two with a choice of 2 separating spacers to enable 2.5″ tyres along with those 29×4″ tyres you`ll be designing in the not so distant future? :O)

martinxyz
    Free Member

Rors, i would be happy with 100/120!

ton

how many folk have ridden a long travel 29r? how many are gonna sell?

i built my ventana up with a 140mm white bros fork, gravity dropper post, 200mm rotor/saints, kris holm rimmed dh strength wheels and 2.5 tyres.
    on anything other than steep downhills it was a absolute pig to ride.
    far too sluggish/heavy.

not many people are gonna be suited to a long travel 29r.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Will any be suited to long travel 29ers,ton?

I could see it humouring out with a happy medium of 130 up front and 100 at the back as the nations fav.

hugor
    Free Member

What’s long though?
    My RIP9 has 120 front and back. It’s an excellent climber and I have no issues riding all day in Wales.
    I’m not pretending to be fit either.

Chainline
    Free Member

Ton, you can easily build a 29lb 140/130 FS 29er even with robust parts, e.g hope v2s, flow rims/ardent 2.4s, fox 34 140, reverb even with a pretty heavy frame. And that’s not too heavy for an all day bike. I expect mine to,come in at 30lb with a hammerschmidt too incl. pedals.

A 29er 34 140 fork is only 200g heavier than its 26″equivalent, rims only 100g each heavier, spokes another 50 or so. So overall should be no more than a pound heavier than a similar travel 26″.

Kris Holmes are wide and strong but at 850g hellish heavy, 2.5 DH tyres the same between them adding probably 4lbs over what could still be a tough set up.

martinh
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a 140mm travel 29er. My large Tracer 29 runs quite happily with 800g non DH tyres and Flow rims. I do have a pair of WTB Dissents if things do get rocky but I’ve not really needed them yet.

Weighs around 33lbs

big_scot_nanny

Hmmmm, tracer, niiiiice!

I have tried what ton describes with my ventana, but it was really not enough travel for what I was using it for, and turned it into a useless pig (too heavy for normal riding, not ‘big’ enough for proper AM).

I have a NP mega with 180 forks and that gets me down the really rough stuff/alps days.

I would love a proper LT 29er, bit more than 140 at the back, 160 at the front, but to me the limiting factor is lack of decent forks.

I just love the way a 29er rolls, but sometimes you need a lot more travel than is currently available, hence why I built the mega.

i still seriously consider getting the 180 36 talas forks modded to be 160 forks that would accept 29er wheels, and put them in a Tracer T29, but it,s just a bit risky.

So Brant, design away, but get us a set of proper 29er 160mm forks that aren’t horribly noodly please. that would be my absolute ultimate alpine AM machine. WANT! 😆

All IMHO of course.

Kev

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Long travel carbon 29er (titus content)’ is closed to new replies.