Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • lightweight cross disk wheels for tcx
  • steve73
    Free Member

Having purchased a tcx slr 1 and putting a few road miles on the super swan tyres I have purchased some road tyres, vittoria voyager hyper from on one (which were delivered very quickly) and whilst the wheels were off the bike without any tyres I took the opportunity to weigh them. They are heavy – front wheel 934g and rear wheel 1201g both without rotors and cassette removed. So what lighter wheelset has a 15mm thru axle front and 135mm qr rear and are suitable for cross tyres and road tyres at high pressure? Looking around 1600g if possible.

Jamie
    Free Member

May be in a simple position myself at some point, so had a little look into this.

Hope Pro Evo 2 + Crest 29er off the shelf.

Novatec, probably 771/772, hubs with H Plus Son Archtypes or similar. If custom built.

Both around 1600-1700g. Both can run high pressure with tubes. Around 45psi if tubeless.

It’s a shame the front Hub on the Kinesis CXDisc wheels are not convertible, as they’d be ideal.

Edric64
    Free Member

Fast forward do carbon disc ready wheels that will survive the peaks

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Novatec’s fully built wheels are really good, very good value and orderable through most LBS’s (I forget who the distributor is). A few of the guys I race cross with have been using them these season and as far as I’m aware they have been totally fault free. Given the cost and weight of them my DT240s on Reflex’s (novatec’s come in both Tub and Clincher) seem a bit over priced and pointless…

2nd thoughts, you’ll need to check that the front is 15mm…

Jamie
    Free Member

@Adam

You on about these?

If so, it’s ExtraUK. Not sure whether the hub is convertible, tho.

As an aside, 20/24…woah!

Rorschach
    Free Member

The Novatec’s are really good.
    Thems or the Kenesis Crosslight Cxdisc (edit….not them)

Jamie
    Free Member

The Novatec’s are really good.

Just depends on the front hub then….

Edit: It’s a nope. Front hub is a 611SB, which seems to be QR only.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

road tyres on Crests are a bad idea. Way too tight. I’ve tried it.

Depends on budget but I’m looking at some new Pacenti SL25s on whatever hub of choice (Hope, Tune, Novatec).

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m running a set of Hope Hoops with Stans Alpha rims.
    The front can be converted to 15mm and the rear is 135mm. I’ve ran them with road tyres with no issues and they’re currently fitted with CX tyres and working perfectly.

http://www.merlincycles.com/hope-hoops-pro2-evo-disc-wheel-700c-64974.html

Gotama
    Free Member

Will those novatecs with a 20/24 spoke count stand up to someone with c.90kg weight giving them a bashing? Not racing so the bike just gets sent down local mtb trails as part of a road/off road loop.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I just purchased the same bike and built up some Stans Grail on novatec 771/2 with Sapim dlite spokes. Don’t think they are as light as you want but support both road an cx tubeless.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bm’d for interest

steve73
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replys I am less than 70kg which is why I am looking for light wheels. Will look into the novatec wheels.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I was hoping for the kinesis wheels but not in stock for a while.

I went with handbuilts.

1st set novatec 28h 711/712 hubs and H son Archetype

2nd set Novatec 32h new 771/772 with anti bite guard and better japanese ezo bearings with tubular rims

both rims are wide which are great for cross tyres/tubs

Jamie
    Free Member

This is probably a newbie question, but is there much difference, both weight/strength wise, in going for 28H v 32H.

2nd set Novatec 32h new 771/772 with anti bite guard and better japanese ezo bearings with tubular rims

That’s what I will be looking at I reckon, but with the Archetypes. What did they cost to get built up?

…also, how do you get on with the Archetypes? Looking to be used with tubes initially, then maybe tubeless down the line.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I went with 32h because the tubular rim I was using only came in 32 (it’s 340grams!)

My mate is still building them (he bought roger musson’s book and has built loads).

I bought the hubs from cycleclinic (malcolm is a very knowledgeable guy and helpful)

njee20
    Free Member

I bought the hubs from cycleclinic (malcolm is a very knowledgeable guy and helpful)

Posts on here too.

Jamie
    Free Member

Cheers, will shoot him a mail.

househusband

I’ve had the Novatec CXD’s on a bike and I would not recommend them – not at my 15st anyways; the nipples are alloy and the spokes are butted really thin.

(They were on a bike I sold on quickly as it was a bit too small, had a 130mm rear hub – and I was concerned about the longevity of the wheels… the subsequent owner did have problems with the wheels.)

birdage

Got some Open Pros built onto disc hubs which performed well.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Clinchers have been built – H son rim, aci alpina spokes(2/1.7/2) and 28h novatec hubs. The spokes are super cheap at £4.20 for 20!

Will weigh them tonight

Jamie
    Free Member

They the 711/712 build?

Malcolm got back to me about a 771/772/Archetype build. Around £330 for 1850g.

He also suggested:

If you go with the wider 28H Velocity aileron rim wheelset with Sapim laser spokes/brass nipples weight drops to 1710g and cost is £380 +shipping. This rims is stiffer a bit more aerodynamic (a little bit mind) and is tubeless compatible. Good light rims that disc brake specific.

Only issue is 15mm adapters are thin on the ground, apparently.

He did suggest DT hubs, but they are a bit too spendy for me at the mo.

trickydisco
    Free Member

They the 711/712 build?

yep. It’s the 32h 771/772 hubs i’ve got for the tub build

I can’t remember if both the 711 and 771 can use 15mm adaptors.

trickydisco
    Free Member

That build came out at

Spokes – £12.90
    Rims – £100
    Hubs – £90

and some beer for my mate who built them

househusband

Nice looking wheels, trickydisco – nice to see silver spokes. I’ve always used them in wheels I’ve built myself as I think they look classier. Been thinking about building some over winter using Archetype rims… toying with using XT hubs for cheapness.

May I ask where you got the hubs from? (Assume eBay; which seller?)

daver27
    Free Member

you don’t say what groupset is on the bike. i am in the same boat, but have 22 speed 105, which requires a different freehub. I am sure Mavic hubs will fit, but not sure what other options i have with MTB 135 spacing and 11 speed shimano road compatibility.

any help appreciated there!

trickydisco
    Free Member

May I ask where you got the hubs from? (Assume eBay; which seller?)

yep.. Malcolm from cycleclinic

Not sure he’s doing the 711/712 anymore. I think he said these are the replacement for them (better bearings, anti bite guard)

He also stocks replacement freehubs to convert most novatec hubs to 11 speed

772 spec

steve73
    Free Member

I have spoken to spokesman wheels and they are very helpful and have recommended similar wheels and even some carbon rim options. I have also been offered a set of hope pro3 6bolt on crest rims for a similar price from a local shop. Has anyone used spokesman wheels before?

kilo

Just picked up some ailerons on 32h xt hubs, look good and feel light, pictures in the blog linked below (it’s a picture of a pair of wheels so not too exciting)

my wheel builder’s blog about them

househusband

Thanks, trickydisco – those are pretty good prices.

I’d been looking here; seems to have a great selection.

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-Road.asp

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’d been looking here; seems to have a great selection.

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-Road.asp

Although a lot more expensive than getting them in the UK

that 772 hub works out at £93. cycleclinic it’s £60 with free delivery

househusband

Although a lot more expensive than getting them in the UK

Indeed – it now seems so, especially knowing that there’s no risk of getting hit with duty and handling fee! Thanks for the pointer to cycleclinic on eBay.

The reason I had been looking at BDOP Cycling was that they offered 130mm Novatec rear hubs but don’t have to worry about that now as I sold the bike on.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

new Pacenti SL25 rims look nice. More expensive than Archetypes but a bit lighter.

Jamie
    Free Member

Those rims do look nice. At around £80, about the same price as the Velocity Ailerons.

Jamie
    Free Member

What you go for in the end, Steve? Also, were those weights you got without skewers?

Would have emailed you, rather than bumping old thread, but no contact details.

*wanders off muttering about PMs being an integral part of a forum*

baldman
    Free Member

Watching with interest as I’m in the market for a set too. The stock wheels on my Whyte feel heavy, must check to see if they really are some time.

Slightly off topic, for those with two sets do you swap the cassette when swapping wheels?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    Just bought some Novatech hubs off Spokesman.
    Really great service, good communication and quick service.
    £100 quid for a pair of the newer hubs,anti bite guard and both convertible to all standards.
    Seem really nice quality.
    Bought some 15mm adaptors so I can use on the mtb also.
    These are going on a TCX SLR2 with normal q/r front and back.
    Ended up building them on Crests with standard DT black d/b spokes and brass nipples.
    Weighing in about 1730 grams which I am happy with.
    Dabbling in cross tubeless as everyone else now are running open clinchers or proper tubs!

steve73
    Free Member

Still not decided on a wheel set but I think it will be hope pro 2 hubs and perhaps stans grail or DT swiss xr331 rims. The DT rims are only 380g so would make a nice lightweight wheelset. Finding it hard to find many reviews on the DT rims and unsure if I can run 28mm tyres at high pressure with them. As I understand there is no problem with the grail rim in this respect.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pacenti’s new rim is worth a look http://www.justridingalong.com/sl25-disk-rim.html

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘lightweight cross disk wheels for tcx’ is closed to new replies.