Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 932 total)
  • light bicycle carbon rims
  • oldnick

Tracey, are the rims in a sale then? I can’t find any mention on their site or elsewhere.

MSP

A saw on another forum they have a new rim coming out with a more in-between width 27/28mm internal irc. So that will be another wheelset next spring for me. It also had an asymmetrical cross section, I wonder how that will build up, especially on the rear wheel where most hubs seem to be pretty dam close to centering the rim between the flanges anyway.

I also believe they are dropping all the other product lines and just sticking to rims from now on.

mattyfez

My AM spec rims are 27mm internal, 33 external.

Took delivery a few months back. Mine are symmetrical though.

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunnng! Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunn...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mattyfez

You get more options once you start emailing to enquire and spec up.. The site doesn’t show all options iirc.

Tracey

Got them from Bird MTB

mattyfez

I’d opt for DT spokes and brass nips if buying again, just had my back wheel rebuilt locally in DT with brass nipples as I originally had pillars with I presume ally nips.. Rear mech accident snapped a few and by the time the repair guy could get more pillars it was less hassle just to redoo the whole wheel on DT.

oldnick

Ta Tracey 🙂

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hers mine fitted tonite look great

fathomer

Quick question, is anyone still buying the 35mm 650b rims?

I’m trying to decide on rims for general trail riding (Peak District, Welsh trips etc) and not sure weather to go 35 or 38mm or stick with alu DT Swiss rims (XM481/EX481 combo).

Any input appreciated!

bennn
    Free Member

I got the 35mm 650B rims, not got much milage on them at the moment due to the poor weather, look awesome though. I’m really looking forward to getting out some more and testing them!

danti

Another Peaks rider here been running a 35mm one on rear of 29er for last 6 months, very pleased with strength, weight and width. They make tyres look huge and you may need to check tyre clearance on your frame if you run wider than 2.3-2.4. I wouldn’t want the 38mm wide as they’re overkill for trail riding IMHO.

Almost 13 stone fully kitted, just a few slight scratches so far and it’s taken some pretty rocky descent abuse.
    I went with DT comp and brass nipples for strength and ease of availability of spokes.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want the 38mm wide as they’re overkill for trail riding IMHO.

they are 32mm deep though, which is aesthetically a lot nicer (imho)

mattyfez

The AM 27mm internal width, external 33mm width are also 30mm deep, so not a massive difference in terms of how they look.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

It would seem that 38’s could be pushing the limit for 2.3-2.4 tyres.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/pinkbike-poll-time-to-geek-out-whats-your-ideal-tire-and-rim-width-2015.html

If you intend to ever run anything less the 35 may be the better bet. You could use the weight saved to up the build of the rim.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

26″ rim though that

fathomer

Thanks for the responses.

I’ve spoken to LB via email and they said the 35mm unless I’m an aggressive rider, then I should go for the 38mm.

To be honest, I’ve got no idea if I’m aggressive, so I’ll probably opt for the 35mm as most seem to be getting on fine with them and I’ve never broke a spoke let alone a rim!

alexh
    Free Member

I originally bought 38mm rims to put 27.5+ tyres into my 29″ ht. After I’d decided that wasn’t what I wanted I tried to sell them. With no interest I decided to put them in my ‘enduro’ bike. So out went the hope/flows and in went the 38mm lb/hope rims. 2.35 and 2.2 maxxis fitted, they look huge on those rims.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Considering the 38mm LB rims for my next 29er build. Has anyone had a set built in Leeds or nearby? (Or the 35mm version for that matter).

Just wondered who you had used and who comes recommended?

Would they need experience of building wheels with carbon rims or is it much the sameness as an alu rim?

There doesn’t seem a great deal of difference between 35mm and 38mm bar <2mm internal, 7mm depth and a little extra weight.

stewartc
    Free Member

Just an update on both my sets of 300mm AM wheelsets, both the same with Pro2 and DT Swiss spokes.
    Now managed to crack both rear rims on my hard tail and FS, the first one (HT) was my fault for doing a rather crazy drop into a rock garden that would in fairness have tested most rims, the second though (on my FS) happened in late December during a fairly harmless trail ride.
    LB to their credit replaced the rim after a short email correspondence within 2 weeks.
    I’m not 100% confident on them on the rocky trails I tend to ride here so have gone back to a DT Swiss XM1501 wheelset on my FS, will keep the LB set on my HT however and see how they go, I have a spare set now anyway.

scaled
    Free Member

Got pics of the damage Stuart?

They were less than helpful when I cracked mine, i’m pretty sure it was due to the ridiculous spoke tension they were built with

TomHill
    Free Member

@kingofbiscuits – have a chat with Garage. Al’s built a few sets of carbon wheels, including a set of road wheels for me.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My rims arrived today. Black logo! Pics when built

panzerjager
    Free Member

Can you post a pic of the rims with the black decals please Coolhand, I’ve just ordered a pair myself & have only seen their computer images…

Ta.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Good shout @TomHill, I’ll get in touch Al @ Garage. Thanks.

stewartc
    Free Member

Scaled
    This one is my own fault so I replaced the rim out of my own pocket, its was 2 rides in.

This is the recent damage on my FS, replaced very quickly under warranty, the wheel-set was about 5 months old and had done around 800km of riding.

With both the wheel-sets I replaced all the LB supplied nipples as those seemed to be made of cheese

dirtyrider
    Free Member

these all suitable for disc brake road bikes? in the appropriate drilling

http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-road-bike/carbon-road-cyclocross-U-shaped-rim

fibre
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about a set of those too, disc version is a bit lighter if you specify no rim brake surface. If you’re running tubeless or regular tyres and tubes you want the below link (your link includes Tubs just in case you’re not aware).

http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-road-bike/carbon-road-cyclocross-U-shaped-rim/clincher

trauty
    Free Member

hello,
    I’ve read many discussions yet i am still 100% unsure what is the correct spoke length.
    I ordered 33mm AM 26inch rim ERD 515 mm to be laced on Hope pro 2 evo hubs 20mm front and 142×12 rear. I used prowheelbuild calculator and got these numbers:
    rear Left spoke length: 249
    rear Right spoke length: 247.8

Now here is the confusion as most people on forums claims that erd is wrong and extra 3mm of spoke length is needed. Would it be caused by people actually using shorter nipple (12mm instead of 14mm) as from what I managed to find it seams that wheel builders at light bicycle are using 14 mm pillar nipples ? I ordered pillar aero spokes of extra 3 mm lengths (251mm and 252 mm) from them so I really need to know. Should I stick to 249/247.8 and use the supplied 14mm pillar nipples or just leave it and use 251/252 and my own 12mm nipples?

wwaswas

I’ve replied on the thread you started.

fathomer

Just dropped my rims and hubs off for building. Builder asked if I wanted 2 or 3 cross, what’s the general consensus?

I know 3 cross is standard mtb but he suggested 2 cross might give a more compliant wheel.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Disk brakes = 3x

cynic-al
    Free Member

Everyone will say that, I doubt anyone knows.

I doubt 2 cross is more compliant tho.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Exactly al, it’s such an imperceivable difference both ways, why mess with what works?

barrykellett
    Free Member

I’m looking at the 27mm rims to build up as an XC race only wheelset.
    The flex in my crest wheels I race on now is frustrating.

I’m 65kg, I wouldn’t say I am anyway an aggressive rider but I get things wrong like anyone occasionally. I have put minor dings in one of my crests twice, so not too bad over a couple of years racing? LB have already recommended the 30mm rim? As if they don’t trust the 27mm rim themselves?

To be honest, I am more interested in the stiffness of the finished wheel, but Can’t figure out if the 30mm will be much stiffer if at all? Anyone using either or both? I am thinking of just getting the 27’s as they sound the tool for the job.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

To be honest, I am more interested in the stiffness of the finished wheel, but Can’t figure out if the 30mm will be much stiffer if at all? Anyone using either or both? I am thinking of just getting the 27’s as they sound the tool for the job.

Worth dropping them a note. They sent me some of their testing info to compare stiffness of wheels, not the 27mm but I’d imagine they will have that data too.

kimi
    Free Member

my 650b 27mm rims just arrived, I ordered less than a week ago! these are going on the gravel bike. I was tempted by the 30mm but I prefer the profile and depth of the 27’s.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Has anyone got any experience of the AM728 or EN728 Light Bicycle rims or any of the other newer ones with the asymmetric profile?

mattyfez

I’m 95kg, my 27mm internal width lbs are holding up fine, including a pinch flat on a stoney downward slope on a bridal way, stones a fairly even mixture from gravel to fist sized stones, I was going at quite a pace so couldn’t stop immediately for fear of flying off, so I must have ridden about 30 to 40 feet with the front wheel riding on the rim. The tyre didn’t come fully unseated though so offered a bit of protection. Not a mark on them bar a couple or realy light cosmetic scratches on the rim wall.

timmys

Thread bump

I’m pricing up a set of wheels and the total is coming out at $1060 + $78 shipping + $40 paypal fees.

According to dutycalculator.com I’m looking at £204 import duty & VAT to pay on that for a grand total of pretty much bang on a grand. Does that seem about right, or at least worst case scenario?

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 932 total)

The topic ‘light bicycle carbon rims’ is closed to new replies.