Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 932 total)
  • light bicycle carbon rims
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Remember a few posting about these rims a while back and wondered how they were getting on?

I’m thinking of the wider 33mm build. I notice they ate offering hookless beads .. Which is better?

Anyone battered theirs in the alps?

trickydisco
    Free Member

I also see they are developing a 35mm rim

Northwind

Probably about to buy a set of the 33mm hookless, they’re pretty unequivocal about it, makes a stronger rim with no drawbacks apparently.

“For hookless, it is will be much stronger, because the outer layer can go to the rim bed, to make the rim wall sides much stronger.
    For the old rims with hook, the outer layer is only reaching at the top of bead, can not go in to rim bed.”

Sounds good to me- I don’t think you can order the hookless from the website so waiting for one of the Nancys to get back to me with details.

I’ve got one of the old-process “wider” 26 rims on the back of my hardtail, tbh it’s had very little use so far but it’s not exploded and fired carbon splinters through my heart…

julians
    Free Member

I’ve got two of the ‘hooked’ 33mm wide rims, they’re been no problem so far, not hammered them through the alps, but have hammered them in the peak district, no issues yet.

DT78
    Free Member

Only one ride on my hookless 29ers so far. First impressions are good.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Do they feel better/stiffer than flows etc?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve been running the Derby hookless 29″ 35mm rims for a few months.

Done a bit of DH racing on them too now, and still in tip top condition. I’m planning on racing a lot over the summer, both DH & enduro, I will continue to use them.

They are noticably stiffer and lighter than a Flow rim. Probably less so on smaller wheels. I’m not so convinced on the benefits of super stiff rims on smaller wheels, a little bit of rim deflection is a good thing IMO. I found on some trails I was slower when running lighter, carbon rims, as they we so stiff, the bike just pinged off stuff.

julians
    Free Member

I cant feel any difference in stiffness, but they do feel ‘lighter’, they’re easier to accelerate up to speed.

Lots of people do say that they feel massively stiffer though, so I suspect I just dont have enough finesse to detect a difference.

proutster
    Free Member

My 33mm wheelset, albeit with old-style “hooked” beads are currently at Coventry airport in customs clearance 😥

Can’t wait to get them and shed a tonne of weight from my wheels – OK, not a tonne, but over 550g 8)

Have also ordered some accurate scales so that all of my calculations are shot down in flames….

trickydisco
    Free Member

Proutster.. What hubs and spokes did you go for?

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got some of the hookless 29er rims, very impressed so far. Built nicely, stiff, not exploded.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Come on people.. Where’s the pics?

DT78
    Free Member

They look like boring black rims!

proutster
    Free Member

Black Hope Pro 2 Evo (40T engagement) and the black bladed Pillar Aero X-Tra spokes.

Fully murdered-out, innit!

julians
    Free Member

Not the best pic of the rims, but here you go.

Northwind

Proutster, how long have we been waiting for you to get these wheels done? FFS man.

proutster
    Free Member

Chinese New Year – rubbish time to order! Plus then they had to wait for the 40T hubs…..

Should be on the bike in time for my first Enduro race at the end of March and then for our Wales trip in April (that’s if they haven’t exploded into a fireball by then).

All part of the plan (I’ve got all of the bits ready to go on) to reduce the Reign down to below 28lbs – but that’s a pre-accurate scales calculation….

The bike, with 160mm Pikes up front, should be pretty useful then – pity it’ll be let down by someone who’ll be happy not to finish last 😳

bigjim

thinking of pulling the trigger on them too, good exchange rate at the mo. A Nancy says they are available now and sent me the rim profile. Pretty sure hookless is the way forward, the more I think about with tubeless rims and tyres the bead hook plays little part in holding the tyre on.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-running-bead-hookless-rims

guitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve recently acquired a pair of 33mm wide rims. Built on Pro 2’s. Had a few hard rides on them in the rocky NE of Scotland. So far so good. They definitely feel different to alloy rims.

The rims were bloody hard to get tyres on though. Had to use levers. Haven’t had to do that since trying to fit 4 ply Intense tyres to my old Deemax rims

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a set of the 33mm 26″ rims in DH flavour (460g) I’m pretty sure they are only doing these in the Hookless profile now from what Kartrin Li said in her email last week.

Current build time is 7-13 days and 4-7 days shipping.

I was going to have a set of wheels on Pro2’s however they could only offer DT revs or the Pillar bladed spokes so have opted to build them over here with Brass nipples and DT comps. Hoping they will strong enough to survive whistler later in the year!

messiah
    Free Member

leeph
    Free Member

About to order some rims too, just wondered which is the preferable weave for lardy riders?

gee
    Free Member

Weave is just a cosmetic outer layer – it makes no difference to strength of the rim.

leeph
    Free Member

Gee – Cheers.

P20

So are they just running yellow tape and a valve?

kimbers

messiah, what rims are they 650b?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Do you think it’s cheaper to get them to build with pro2’s or just order rims and build in the uk?

njee20
    Free Member

So are they just running yellow tape and a valve?

I found Schwalbe Tubeless Ready tyres way too loose with one layer of (Stan’s yellow) tape – added a layer of Gorilla tape over the top, went up straight away then.

Northwind

Mine (Wider, old process) is just yellow tape, tbh they really didn’t look like they’d work so I was a bit surprised.

Gee76
    Free Member

I’ve got some 35mm hookless 29er rims on order. Not turned up yet, presumably LB are on catch up after new year. Also have some DT240’s (provided the colour is right in my head – white hubs on an all black bike ok????!!!) and revs ready to go… provided the ERD suits.

Anyone running the 35mm hookless 29er rims care to comment on the actual ERD?. Is it as specified?. They used to vary a wee bit although I think LB tightened up their ERD consistency more lately.

Gee76
    Free Member

What tyres are folks running with these wider rims too!. I’m wondering whether I might downsize to a 2.1 or 2.0 for lower weight and maybe to make sure the tyre will still fit in stays!

njee20
    Free Member

Anyone running the 35mm hookless 29er rims care to comment on the actual ERD?. Is it as specified?

Not the 35mm ones, but on the standard hookless ones all my spokes came up too short using their quoted ERD. I didn’t measure, but I’d be inclined to do so before ordering spokes.

Gee76
    Free Member

hmmm feared that might be the case but it might still work just. At least I can remedy that with bigger nipples 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

kimbers

messiah, what rims are they 650b?

It’s a 26″ and 33mm wide. Linky

Warranty replacement fot the 28mm wide one I broke at the Trans-Savoie in August. I’ve not built it up yet as I’ve been 29er-ing recently.

Northwind

I was never sure but I think mine was under the claimed ERD- I went down a couple of mm from an old rim and reused spokes but with 2mm longer nipples, it should have been a pretty neutral change but in the event was right on the limit. Equally, I might have mismeasured the old rim. But anyway I would measure the rim before ordering spokes!

njee20
    Free Member

hmmm feared that might be the case but it might still work just. At least I can remedy that with bigger nipples

Yeah it’s not insurmountable, I used the spokes (and 12mm nips) I’d ordered, but it was harder than it needed to be to build, and even when fully tensioned there’s still a couple of threads visible on some of the spokes. I wouldn’t be happy building them for someone else, but for me they’re fine. If they all break I’ll just buy longer ones!

Northwind

Doh, I meant shorter nipples btw.

Gee76
    Free Member

No worries, know what ya meant NW 😉 – thanks for your help before btw.. still a bit confused by it all now!.

Aye I have some spokes in stock so to speak but will hang off ordering anymore prior to receiving the rims I think. Already have plenty of 14mm nips so should be ok if they come up a bit shorter.
    I did push for a lighter batch so with less material in them they might come up with a larger ERD. Will have to see… wish they’d hurry up and get here. Think an email to Nancy is coming on.

Really curious about the tyre implications too.. sad but quite exciting 😳
    My first set of LB carbon rims were spot on with the ERD so maybe I shouldn’t worry to much yet 🙂 As said measuring first is safest tho.

By the way if anyone wants to avoid the PayPal direct charge when ordering I suggest going through the LB ebay site. The newer hookless rims are listed there too.

Gee76
    Free Member

Here’s the ebay linky for those interested….

http://www.ebay.com/sch/lightbicycle-us/m.html?item=221356406600&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

… wish i was on commission 😥

clubber
    Free Member

Spokes won’t break because they’re a bit too short.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 932 total)

The topic ‘light bicycle carbon rims’ is closed to new replies.