• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Life lessons from those who know
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting article from the Grauniad

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

Make a change TODAY!

ton

I am working hard to try and be a happier friendlier person.
    it is very hard tho….. 😕

crikey
    Free Member

I’d expect more from a self professed cynic to be honest.

Northwind

6)I wish I’d punched that Cynic-Al right in the mouth

The other ones sound like hard work tbh.

brakes
    Free Member

I think I’m doing alright with all five of those…

piemonster

I’m nailing the top of the men’s regrets.

piemonster

4 and 5 🙁

edlong
    Free Member

The one I keep trying to remind my family is that nobody, ever, on their deathbed said

“You know what, I wish I’d watched more telly.”

molgrips
    Free Member

I do alright on most of those. I don’t work hard, but I do work away from home a lot, which isn’t great nowadays. As things stand, I haven’t much choice, but I’m working to change that. I hope I can before too long.

somafunk

^ as above,

That’s my overused quote to folk when they find out i have never owned a TV, and as for the other 5 in the original article i’m doing alright.

1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me

I do what i want, when i want and genuinely couldn’t give a toss what others think or say about how i live my life, not quite a pathological distance from others but i please myself first.

2. I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.

No fear of that, if i didn’t have the need to work 2 different jobs (chocolatier & bike shop/mechanic) to pay the bills i would spend all my time daydreaming, riding my bike, dicking about doing stuff that makes me happy – those folk that say you need to work to be fulfilled need to get a life.

3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.

I’m very good at speaking the truth to the point of being called a rude obnoxious prick, if someone who i know is only speaking to me to appear polite in company then i’ll say to them, “look, lets not bullshit each other, i don’t care for you, you don’t care for me so lets not bother eh?” or words to that effect. On the other hand those that i love and care about whether that be family or friends know exactly how i value their friendship etc.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

Not always in touch with them all but when i or they come back in to the circle then it’s a case of carry on as before, prob due to the fact i went to 6 different primary schools and 4 different high schools growing up, a very transient upbringing and as such i am perfectly happy and content without seeing folk for weeks on end.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

Doesn’t apply to me, i make sure and please myself before attempting to do so for others, although i do take pleasure in helping others whenever i can or i am able.

I guess i’m an amalgamation of promises to myself from a life changing accident i had when i was 19 years old back in 1991, i made certain promises that if i survived etc then i would never take anything for granted, ever!. Sometimes i need a kick up the arse to remind myself of just how lucky i am but thats just part and parcel of being human.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can I kick you up the arse please?

brakes
    Free Member

join the queue

somafunk

nae worries Al, unlike some posters on here i couldn’t care less if my posts +1 liked.

😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Somapumk, maybe you should….

fasthaggis

Was (7)I should have cared more about what I posted on forums. 🙂

binners

I’ve got the strangest…..

samuri
    Free Member

My biggest regret would be telling a nurse a serious biggest regret.

At least make the last thing you say something funny or clever instead of whining. Way to end on a roll.

‘My biggest regret was not knobbing a monkey’

Spin
    Free Member

‘My biggest regret was not knobbing a monkey’

I’m a bit ahead of you on that one mate. I just regret not asking the monkey if it wanted to bring a friend along.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Largely I feel I have fulfilled all but the last one whilst I was in a nightmare marriage for ten years.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

The day I made the decision to leave was an epiphany. The realization that persecution could never be a route to fulfillment and happiness.

A hundred doors opened, doors in reality that were never closed. Dreams were achievable. The creativity that is at my core flourished again unfettered.

I saw this sign in California on a ride. Corny but it resonated. Works for both good and bad experiences. It’s a question of choice

Drac

4 is the one I’m a bit crap at.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Life lessons from those who know’ is closed to new replies.