Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lenovo P2 owners
  • ElShalimo

They seem to be the budget phone of choice.
    How are you getting on with yours?
    Is it easy to find suitable screen protectors/cases etc?

Any bad points to consider before I go and buy one?
    Cheers

dawson

Also interested in these – is the memory expandable? I.e if you add a memory card does the phone see it as available for installing apps?

Does it need to be a certain version of android?

stumpy01

I’ve had mine 4 or 5 weeks. I love it, but that’s coming from a >4 year old Xperia T that really was on it’s last legs.

It’s quick, screen is good & battery life it great. Charged Sunday night & took off charge before going to bed – still at 26% when I stuck it back on charge yesterday evening (Thurs) at 9pm.

Camera is fine as far as I can tell. It’s not the best, but perfectly good – haven’t really used it in low light yet though.
    Weird thing is that if you use the camera pic viewer, it doesn’t seem to render the images very well, so if you zoom right in on them, they look pixelated. Look at the same image in Google Photo’s and the image looks fine. Almost like Lenovo just got lazy or messed up the camera viewer.
    Plenty of people online who reckon that Open Camera takes better pics than the stock app. I’ve had a fiddle with it, but not had the chance to do any comparison shots.

Screen protectors – I got mine from ebay. There was plenty of choice. I would stay away from the tempered glass ones, as apparently the slight curves in the screen towards the bottom edge mean the tempered glass ones don’t stick at the bottom. Plenty of stuff online about this. I just bought a normal stick on screen protector & it’s fine.

Cases – again, I just got a £3 clear rubbery case for it. There are a decent amount of cases out there if you look.

The phone has plenty of nice functions that to be honest have probably been around on Android for a while now, but I was stuck with Kitkat on my Xperia T so a bit behind the times.

There’s very little bloatware & all the programs I wanted to uninstall from scratch were no issue. They weren’t locked into the Lenovo ‘skin’…..not that Lenovo seem to have done much to stock Android as far as I can tell.

A friend on FB was asking about photo quality, so I uploaded some pics to a Flickr album. You can see it here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskYgTNTB

stumpy01

dawson – Member

Also interested in these – is the memory expandable? I.e if you add a memory card does the phone see it as available for installing apps?

Does it need to be a certain version of android?

Yeah. Dual SIM tray, but you can also run a micro SD in the second SIM slot (obviously means you can’t run dual SIM, but how many people do that….?)
    When you put the SD card in, it asks if you want it formatted for internal storage or portable device.

Internal storage means it gets lumped in with the internal phone memory and apps that can be saved to it, will be.
    Portable device means you can use it as a dump for photos/videos/music etc.
    This is what I have chosen to use it for, as I always point the camera app to ‘save to SD card’. If you chose internal storage, then you don’t get this option…..

joshvegas
    Free Member

I just got my girlfriend set up with a wileyfox swift 2 plus.

If you want a good camera it appears to be the budget phone to go for.

stumpy01

joshvegas – Member

I just got my girlfriend set up with a wileyfox swift 2 plus.

If you want a good camera it appears to be the budget phone to go for.

I considered one of these. It was definitely on my shortlist.
    I think both cameras seem to struggle with the same thing; low light. This is to be expected, really on a phone that costs <£200 and I do sometimes think that the online reviewers are expecting a bit too much.

The things that swayed it for me towards the P2 were:

– cameras seemed comparable; wileyfox perhaps better but not much in it
    – P2 screen is 1080p, rather than 720 (although slightly smaller 5″ screen of the Wileyfox was appealing)
    – battery life – most reviews seemed to reckon a day, perhaps 2 at the most from the Wileyfox. I get 3 easily from the P2 and regularly 4 days, still with juice to spare.
    – 3Gb of RAM on the Wileyfox; 4Gb on the Three UK version of the P2

although, I think the Wileyfox is running the latest version of Android, whereas the P2 is one behind. This is supposedly being updated, but keeps getting put back.

ElShalimo

@stumpy – thanks!!

stumpy01

ElShalimo – Member

@stumpy – thanks!!

No problem.

Just for info….

The screen protectors I got from Mikvon on ebay. I went for the anti-sun versions. They are a matt finish and while they cut down on reflections and glare indoors, they aren’t so good in really bright sunlight. At certain angles, the matt finish goes almost completely opaque.
    I’d probably go for their ‘superclear’ option next time.

The case was from vcomp-fr; again on ebay.
    It fits well, although the headphone socket hole is a little tight with one pair of headphones I have that have a particularly bulky moulding around the socket. But, I’ve had that problem with these headphones before.
    Also, the sides aren’t as tight fitting as they could be. But, bit of a minor niggle. I keep meaning to dunk the case in hot water & squeeze the sides in a bit to see if it tightens it up a bit.
    For £3.50 delivered…..it’s all good.

dawson

@stumpy – thanks for the info

ElShalimo

Typical – I take ages making my mind up and there’s no stock in West Yorkshire!

The woman at the three shop said they were phasing them out but is that because their exclusivity has expired? Will other shops stock them soon?

spud-face

In case it’s a help the Moto G5 (3gig RAM version)is down to £135 (from £165)on Amazon Prime Day.

I’d have gone for one of the Lenovos if they’d been in stock, but for the price I’ll risk the hit and miss reviews for the G5. The Wileyfox was interesting until I read all the appalling reviews on Amazon, and the Motorola at least seems free of ingrained spyware.

winterhasarrived
    Free Member

If you smash the screen the chap in the local repair shop will suck his teeth, shake his head and tell you that he can’t fix it or quote you £100 plus, whereas most other phones can be fixed by buying some bits from eBay for a few quid.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lenovo P2 owners’ is closed to new replies.