Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Leckhampton Hill info?
  • gravity-slave
    Free Member

I started riding here in about ’89 and loved the place – short, steep, tech! Lots of fond memories of all the ‘secret’ trails in there.

I’ve not ridden there for about 10 years or more but am back this weekend, with a bike and some time free on Saturday, probably afternoon about 1ish.

I used to ride up Daisy Bank up to the cottages, round the chimney and then down from the bombhole to the ruins, pop down to the quarry car park and then work further along the hill past the trig point and down again.

Just wondered if much as changed, mostly in terms of access and users. Any issues with the locals if I just go exploring? Tracks to avoid? I have a good nose for sniffing out tracks – any ‘new’ stuff worth looking out?

If anyone is up for a few hours Sat doing some laps, chutes and drops then company would be good!

Trimix
    Free Member

It will be a muddy claggy mess this time of year.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Like most places! As in “Not fun” or “Please stay off and don’t ruin the hill?” I like getting sideways, love getting muddy and don’t mind working, but I don’t want to ruin someone’s local spot. Cleeve any better?

xiphon
    Free Member

They still have the awesome step-down in the quarry I think. I used to ride there around 2005/6.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Don’t get to carried away on some of the trails there is a lot of gates up there now.Downhill runs are good.When you past the top of Devils chimney and run down what we use to call the death run has been graded so is smoothed out.You can ride anywhere up there.Also there are cows up there now and GATES. :lol:Not as good as it use to be I reckon.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Cheers! I remember cows occasionally on Daisy Bank I think. Sounds like I’ll get a claggy slidy blast in on Sat and see if the steep bits are all I remember from the early 90s! Death Run rings a bell, I’m sure Strava will pop a few segments up too. Cheers guys.

olliejehu
    Free Member

pinkbike edit of lecky

i was up there today mate! its not that muddy really! i find lecky handles winter pretty well, it was pissing down today and all tracks were running pretty sweet check out my video….

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I started riding here in about ’89 and loved the place

Woah, same year for me. First MTB from Williams Cycles. Dawes Tracker. Biopaced up Leckhampton every Sunday 8) used to head over to Seven Springs down that spooky valley with the gutted out house. Loads of mad quarry bits up by Devils Chimney and the woooops coming back down to Town thru the woods. limestone clay spackled face paint , jumpers for goalposts. misty eyed. Aaaah. Reminds me, due for a trip to The Green Dragon, should have a good fire going by now 😉

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Ah, the Green Dragon! Rode out there, 2 pints of real ale then hit the dreaded bombhole for the first time on the way back! Dutch courage! It was tough back them, proper non eroded lip in and out. A real test on a fully rigid GT Outpost from Biketech (now Leisure Lakes) with 5lbs of tools, water and Mars bars strapped to it!

I’m excited to ride Lecky, proper trip down memory lane for sure!

singlesteed
    Free Member

I cannot remember the last time I went there, probably with xiphon (Hi Ali 🙂 – long time no speak) but found in wet like today the rock can be rather sketchy up there.

Can’t wait for a417 fly up project to begin opening as it’s on my doorstep!

Gonna check out FOD soon!

sgn23
    Free Member

All trails can be ridden and I’ve never had problems with walkers, just remember it’s not a trail centre and expect dogs and kids to appear from no where.
    Lecky is way better than Cleeve in the winter.
    I’m off there now.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Apart from it always has dog eggs scattered even has been known for human waste too up there in past.

Thats kinda what puts me off!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Great blast from the past today! Bit slippy as most of the DH tracks were covered in wet leaves hiding the sniper roots! All new since I was there but looked worse for wear. Most of the natural stuff very memorable with little change. Good fun wee spot!

No poo animal or otherwise but glad to see kids still having parties up on the hill! Shame they don’t take their rubbish home.

xiphon
    Free Member

Do they still have the left-hander hip next to a big tree? That jump was ace – looooads of distance from that kicker.

Pope’s Wood was another quality place a few miles away.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Leckhampton Hill info?’ is closed to new replies.