Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Laptop to TV HDMI resolution shenanigans, any experts?
  • robinbetts
    Free Member

Trying to connect my Sony vaio laptop (vgn-nw20sf) to my panasonic HDTV (TX-L32X15B) with an HDMI cable. The native resolution of the laptop screen and the tv are 1366×768, so I would have thought that I could run them both at that and get a great picture?

When I connect the cable though, it drops to 1280×720, leaving a black border on the laptop, and for some reason the picture on the tv is larger than the display, so the edges are cut off. This is ok for watching video, but annoying for anything else as menus are hidden etc.

If I up the tea manually to 1366×768 the picture on the tv goes really small in the centre, with loads of black space.

Anyone know what could be going on here?

Many thanks, Robin

xiphon
    Free Member

I had this problem on our Samsung 42″ HDTV – the native resolution was going over the edge of the screen – until I found a button on the remote, which allowed me to change the zoom (wide, extra wide, PC, something else).

5lab

your tv, via HDMI, can probably only support 2 resolutions

1280×720
    1960×1080

The naitive panel is 1368×768 though, so if you use one of these resolutions, the picture will be fuzzy (if used for browsing the net, etc. If you use it for films, you won’t notice)

I’d guess the TV has a VGA in port on it? if so use that, you’ll be able to set the resolution to 1368×768 and everything will look supar.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ce9adp
    Free Member

Go into the tv setup menu. There will be a setting for ‘overscan’. Switch this off and the picture should fit the screen.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies!

5lab, I think you’re probably right about the tv only taking 1080 and 720 via hdmi, from what I’ve seen. Bit rubbish though given the native res. I’ve tried the VGA port but still can’t get it right with that. The laptop doesn’t give me 1366×768 as an option when I connect the VGA cable.

ce9adp, that overscan setting did the trick for 1280×720 on hdmi. Works fine now for video, but would have been nice to get the full res.

R

xiphon
    Free Member

Check out powerstrip – it’s a utility to force certain screen resolutions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Laptop to TV HDMI resolution shenanigans, any experts?’ is closed to new replies.