Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Lana Del Ray – Born To Die
  • GJP
    Free Member

In between all the hype I went and bought this today, as I had a £10 voucher going spare. I must say two listens in and I am pleasantly surprised.

Any other STWers picked up a a copy today?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Possibly might do, having been caught up in the hype last year. Not my usual taste by a long shot tho, but is something a little bit different to the normal pop being churned out and it’s her own material etc.

binners

I’m absolutely sick of hearing it. I liked it when I first heard it. Now its received so much radio airplay, I wouldn’t care if I never heard it ever again

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Did you catch her on Jules Holland last year, her first ever live TV appearance. In the mid week programme she was like a frightened rabbit in car headlights. I think they then record the Friday night programme afterwards and that was much better.

geologist
    Free Member

Ive heard her live, awful to be honest.

Nick

Personally I find her too languid, the songs turgid and boring, and the two singles are difficult to tell apart.

Worse thing about 6Music right now is that Born to Die is on heavy rotation.

Mind you I felt the same way with Metronomy and everyone else seems to like them.

MrFart
    Free Member

Listening to it now on spotify. Some great melodies but I can’t help feeling she’s trying to hard. Fantastic voice though (at least on record…).

OmarLittle
    Free Member

She is dating (or at least shagging) someone who is a mate of a mate.

Which annoys me a fair bit more than it should 👿

theflatboy
    Free Member

Worse thing about 6Music right now is that Born to Die is on heavy rotation.

that **** song about believe me when i say society will make us pay, come into my room bollocks is worse! 😡

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm, yeah, well as I discovered her ( 😉 ) I can’t really now slag her off… but there’s no doubting Video Games was a great song, unfortunately pretty commercial too, so all the radio stations etc jumped on it and made her seem over-hyped.
    Album is ok, there’s some dross on it and some great tracks.
    Apart from Video Games, I find myself preferring a couple of remixes, available free here – http://rcrdlbl.com/artists/Lana_Del_Rey/

ART

Mind you I felt the same way with Metronomy and everyone else seems to like them.

This!!!

iDave
    Free Member

Video Games was a great song, unfortunately pretty commercial too

confused. It’s either great or it’s not. the song doesn’t change when lots of people listen to it.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i assume he means that its universal appeal meant it was played to death. which is guaranteed to put one off any good song!

GJP
    Free Member

I suspect I have not been quite as caught up in the hype as others. The first time I saw/heard her was on Jools and I thought she was “interesting” without knowing that she was all other YouTube etc.

Since then I haven’t heard too much, I knew it was going on, but as I only listen to the radio driving to and from work and listen to Absolute Radio, then I have been spared.

It will be interesting to see how my views evolve over the week.

theflatboy
    Free Member

GJP – Member

It will be interesting to see how my views evolve over the week.

a nation holds its breath!

GJP
    Free Member

a nation holds its breath! 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Check out her amazing performance on Saturday Night Live.

yoshimi

Thought her performance on Jools Holland was really very good – I’ll probably get the album later but sick of reading the same regurgitated story about her over and over everyday in the press.

DezB
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    Video Games was a great song, unfortunately pretty commercial too
    confused. It’s either great or it’s not. the song doesn’t change when lots of people listen to it.

Take a portion of the sentence out of context and yeah, it’s confusing.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Whilst I quite like Blue Jeans, Video Games and Born to Die, they do sound pretty similar to one another. Not quite sure I could stomach a whole album of it. Could be wrong though.

emsz
    Free Member

I like video games and blue jeans. Only listened to the album once or twice, bit same-y

djglover
    Free Member

One Hit Wonder

packer
    Free Member

I thought her performance on Jools Holland was incredible, but then I thought she was awful on SNL. Wierd.

I really love this remix of Video Games:

iDave
    Free Member

Listened to it all and like it, but in a kind of ‘shoulder massage’ way. Can’t say it’s outstanding but it’s fresh work-a-long music.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    [.quote]

It does if you’re an indie kid into you’re nice-core, the moment anyone else has even heard of it played on 6 music, it become uncool and you have to begin searching for the next thing and pretend it was only cool yesterday. If however it’s played on radio 1 you have to dissown it entirely and pretend you’ve never heard of it. This spiral of musicl loathing can and does result in a loss of appetite meaning you’ll be forced into wearing you’re sisters jeans and badly fitting shirts.

konabunny
    Free Member

Check out her amazing performance on Saturday Night Live.

lol!

dogbert
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zrvD-o8cII[/video]

This has ruined Video Games for me, the You Tube comments are great:

its like she’s going through puberty…on stage…

She sounds? like a Japanese person trying to sing in English with a German accent!

i’ll probaly still get the album as I like the recorded

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Garry_Lager

Lovely voice – channeling a bit of mazzy star maybe? The song (born to die) is a bit ropey IMHO, but she overcomes that with her voice so I quite like it.

DezB
    Free Member

I wonder why she saw the need to fudge her lips up..
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BpWxYndDF8&feature=related[/video]

whippersnapper
    Free Member

it’s good but the album version of the songs seem a bit too polished compared to the stuff about beforehand. Had this and Leonard Cohen’s new album on today, the latter is rather good too.

deviant
    Free Member

Dogbert….hadnt seen that, its terrible!

I always judge how good a singer is as to whether they can do it live….in her case it would seem she needs a good producer and the magic of the recording studio!….shame as i like Video Games.

DezB….hadnt heard that song, very nice though.

On a tangent, watched ‘Drive’ the other night…good film but better sound track, loving the score in that….recommended listening.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Mazzy Star 20 years too late. Or “shite” in other words.

DezB
    Free Member

Apart from the lips, can’t see any similarity with Mazzy Star..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well thought I would have a listen – IMO – Not much cop at all. turgid song, thin voice with no character.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

DezB – The voice perhaps? Anyway, its music for middle aged bed wetters to drink wine to and eat olives to.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

music for middle aged bed wetters to drink wine to and eat olives to.

????? Surely thats Norah Jones – But she can actually sing live

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u1DdbNC7DM&feature=related[/video]

GlitterGary
    Free Member

She’d be on the playlist for sure TJ. 😉 Along with Katy Melua!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You been looking at my playlists?

dogbert
    Free Member

Dogbert….hadnt seen that, its terrible!

I always judge how good a singer is as to whether they can do it live….in her case it would seem she needs a good producer and the magic of the recording studio!….shame as i like Video Games.

It’s like she took the song and thought “how can I make this sound like i’m not trying to emulate the album completely, i’ll mix it up a bit, that’ll make me sound less polished and more like a serious singer”

Unfortunately it sound like a drunk 16 year old getting all weepy and singing because their boyfriend of 3 days dumped them

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Lana Del Ray – Born To Die’ is closed to new replies.