Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Kids bike, and SRAM x4
  • PTR
    Free Member

My lad has a Bienn 20, large, he’s quite big for his age (6).
    The gripshift has packed up again, last time this happened I ended fitting a new one, the cable change was such a pain.
    Has anyone experience of 6 year old using X4 trigger shift?
    Do they have the finger strength to push the levers?
    Part of me thinks it may not matter, as at the moment he can only shift down the cassette anyway.

Graham_Clark

My lad did similar and I swapped for a trigger shift and he’s never looked back. Just need to set it up so they can use their arm to push onto lower gears if needs be.

PTR
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll give it a go, not much to lose anyway.

iainc

I’d be interested to know how you get on – Beinn 20 and 26 here and I just hate recabling those gripshifts…

dazz
    Free Member

I’ve changed all my daughters grip shifters to trigger since she was around 6 & she’s never had a problem, one of the best things I ever did IMO, she used to hate changing gear, now it’s second nature.

PTR
    Free Member

An update, the trigger shifter arrived this morning, fitted his afternoon, he loves it, really easy to shift, and “will never use them twisty things again”

coatesy
    Free Member

The X4 stuff is actually pretty horrible stuff to use, and seems to break on a regular basis(if our string of customers are anything to go by). It’s not that cheap either if you trash a rear mech and are tied in to Sram only, last repair I did involved ditching it, and replacing with basic/comparable Shimano shifter and mech for only a few quid more.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Kids bike, and SRAM x4’ is closed to new replies.