Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • just ordered a new camera. ..
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Evening….
    Just ordered a canon G15 and am looking forward to using it lots.
    Are there any good books out there for getting a bit of a head start into making better photos ie use of functions above and beyond automatic. Whilst it will have a manual they are usually really dry and I’d like something a bit more user friendly.

Cheers

butcher

Can’t really recommend any specific guides but all cameras operate in essentially same ways. Some have more control than others, but the G15 should have plenty enough I should think.

Best thing to do is learn the basics of photography. Aperture, Shutter speeds, composition, light, white balance, etc.

Aperture and Shutter speed are paramount to operating a camera. These are two things you’ll always be thinking about. To make things a little easier, most photographers, unless shooting very specific things that require otherwise, will shoot in semi-automatic modes, like Aperture Priority, or Shutter Priority. Aperture priority I think most people find useful…shutter priority for when you need strict control over shutter speeds.

Look these things up and it will start making sense. Then look at the manual to figure out where these controls are.

daftvader
    Free Member

Cheers butcher…. this is my first camera for a long time and I really want to take better than ” point and shoot” pics. I’d like to do a course but they are all about dslr round my waym so books are the way forward for me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kayak23

A book called ‘understanding exposure’ is excellent. Check it out.

daftvader
    Free Member

Will do kayak. .. goes to find library card…

Cougar

A book called ‘understanding exposure’ is excellent. Check it out.

… is the correct answer.

I borrowed the “Digital SLR for Dummies” off a mate, that’s a pretty good start if you’re coming to it cold as well.

Best advice really is just to get out there and start squeezing the trigger.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The first 2 Scott Kelby books have been great, not yet at the standard to use the 3rd yet.

user-removed
    Free Member

If it’s anything like its predecessors, it’ll have pretty much all the same modes as a DSLR, so a course might be the way forward. So much easier to learn when someone actually shows you how, rather than trying to take it in from a book.

jimi
    Free Member

I found Seb Rogers blog usefull for ideas and a bit of technique.

http://www.sebrogers.com/blog/categories/technique-page1.html

howarthp

http://Www.ephotozine.com has a good community and lots of lessons

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions and links. Got lots of reading and web to do this weekend then. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘just ordered a new camera. ..’ is closed to new replies.