Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • journalistic integrity – or lack of it – not ST!
  • tonyg2003

Hi

So has anyone else read this months MBR Lapierre Zesty 314 long term review by Andy Waterman p50? If not let me summarise.

On his loan test bike "my XT rear mech went into my spokes a couple of months ago" then the genius rather then having to dip into his own pocket "put it into a vice and mangled into somethin resembling a rear mech" after which time "it did a very poor job of changing gears".

So rather than bin it and buy another one (no doubt at trade for a jounro) like most honest people would do. He "sold-it-as-seen" to some "the guy who bought it off me on ebay even left positive feedback-sucker!" and bought a Deore mech with the proceeds.

Well I hope that you are happy with your Deore mech Mr Waterman and I hope that your "sucker" isn't one of your readers on MBR.

I know that people sell tat on e-bay but putting this sort of stuff in writing is so stupid, encourages dishonesty and plainly verging on fraud. I guess that he thought he was being clever, well not too me.

Doesn't exactly encourage you to believe anything else he writes does it?

IanMunro
    Free Member

So has anyone else read this months MBR Lapierre Zesty 314 long term review by Andy Waterman p50? If not let me summarise.

I got as far as MBR in the sentence 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I read that bit about selling a f^&ked mech on Ebay and thought, w@nker.

Shame, cos his writing is some of the best in the mag.

wwaswas

I think his journalistic integrity is intact – he didn't take a free/cheap mech off a supplier.

His morals are clearly in tatters, though.

squin
    Free Member

I read it too and was a little disappointed at his smugness having sold a knackered mech. All sounded a little immature to me and he sounded a bit of a c0ck.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Reminds me of that Mooby Chef who boasted of running cyclists off the road in the press.

Once upon a time an EDITOR would have EDITED the article to avoid crap like that. These days the amount of shocking typos and poor grammar betray a slightly different story in a lot of the magazine press.

(STW excepted of course 😉 )

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I had an exchange of e-mails with him a while back. He'd written a route description that told you to take a non existent footpath across a major boulder field. He started quoting dictionary definitions at me, and when he'd lost the argument told me where to get off. Think he's a definite ********

(But doesn't he look hard in all those eyeballs out photos? And he never ever gets dirty!)

mtbfix

There were a lot of complaints on their Twitter when the mag came out a week or two ago. Proper numpty styling.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think it was him that gave the Trance long termer a poor review because he was sulking because he'd wanted a longer travel bike.

Thought he sounded like a bit of a prat then, now I know he is.

brant
    Free Member

Once upon a time an EDITOR would have EDITED the article to avoid crap like that.

Really?

I thought sub's edited, and Editors "guided" things 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘journalistic integrity – or lack of it – not ST!’ is closed to new replies.