Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Job vacancy, is this the way employment is going
  • project
    Free Member
    wrecker
    Free Member

**** hell that’s appalling if not surprising.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well it would have to be minimum wage, so what’s the problem?

But yes project, things are definitely going this way – I mean you’ve found one whole example! What more conclusive evidence would one need?

davidjones15
    Free Member

They’re offering 67.50 plus expenses per week without confirming the hours. What’s the problem?

meehaja
    Free Member

Its not minimum wage. Its JSA plus expenses (bus ticket). In order to keep benefits you have to do “work courses” now. In some ways it is a good idea (if it leads to a job) in others its a way of big companies to exploit the work force. Why hire employees for manual labour (with associated pensions, holiday and sick pay etc) when you can get an endless supply of workers from the job centre desperate to keep their benefits. End result, less jobs available. probably.

wrecker
    Free Member

I read the advert as job seekers allowance plus expenses. Is that £67.50?
    That’s not minimum wage is it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

So it’s short term and not full time?

davidjones15
    Free Member

That’s not minimum wage is it?

Depends on the hours, doesn’t it?

highclimber
    Free Member

half the jobs on the Jobcentreplus website are for recruitment agencies all the rest are mis-advertised as something else. I saw an ‘advert’ for a job as an infantry soldier the other day on there!

project
    Free Member

. In order to keep benefits you have to do “work courses” now. In some ways it is a good idea

any going as train drivers or coach drivers.

duckers
    Free Member

It truly does take the p#ss, if your going to force someone to do a “training course” as part of their contract of getting JSA, make it a course where they gain some skills, confidence, and personal respect, dont make them work with other people getting paid a fair wage to do the same job. Being unemployed is humiliating enough without being humiliated as well.

If you give firms the opportunity to employ people at lower than market cost (NMW) of course some ae going to take advantage.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

When I worked at Halfords as a stewdent they regularly got folk in on that basis. Most of them didn’t give a shit, but then half the permanent staff didn’t either…

From memory they could only work for 2 weeks or so, so that ad is a bit
    misleading. They would need a steady stream of people rather than one person working there on a permanent basis.

leffeboy

In our language course on monday we were discussing a report that said that the age that most people now got their first foot in their ‘proper’ career now was 26. I was more than a little surprised but the folks that were there and still doing full time studies were shocked at all

druidh
    Free Member

That’ll be you in a couple of weeks time Al….

cynic-al
    Free Member

I worked in a Supermarket when I was at school, I’m hoping I’ll be exempt.

I could learn a lot at Halfords though, according to what some here say about my mechanical skills.

druidh
    Free Member

😛

jj55

OK! I think I can see what this is!

It is a ‘sbwa’ more commonly know as a sector based work academy which is designed to help long term unemployed people back into work by encouraging employers (who would normally not consider long term unemployed people)to give them a guaranteed interview & hopefully a job.

Basically what happens is that a training provider trains a group of long term unemployed in basic skills like customer service, basic food hygene, manually handling. The subjects covered are the ones the employer has said would help applicants get the job. This is normally a quick course that takes a couple of weeks. Then the Jobcentre arranges for those people to have a short period of Work Experience with an employer who has vacancies. This is because many of them have either not worked before, or may have never worked and have stated that this is holding them back from finding a job. In return the employer guarantees to interview those who successfully complete the two elements, and hopefully employs them! This is a voluntary programme for the unemployed.

Feel free to criticise this programme but I have seen it working very well with employers taking on people who they would not normally touch with a barge pole. You may scoff at some of the ideals behind this but after meeting long term unemployed people who have got jobs through this scheme it never ceases to amaze me how getting a job changes their whole persona, even if that job is one that many others would want to do!

TheBrick
    Free Member

OK! I think I can see what this is!…

Don’t come here with your “facts”.

ph0010421
    Free Member

kenneththecurtain – Member

When I worked at Halfords as a stewdent

I didn’t think you could spell student incorrectly. The ironing is delicious.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hes an ungineer so its ok we do numbers n that innit !

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Capitalism benefits from unemployment. This is probably the best example of it.

I could be wrong, but I think the JSA is still funded by the taxpower, so we’re paying for private sector employee’s! Great!

davidjones15
    Free Member

Capitalism benefits from unemployment. This is probably the best example of it.

Wouldn’t it benefit more if people had lots of money to spend?

cynic-al
    Free Member

ph0010421 I think the joke is on you…

vinnyeh

OK! I think I can see what this is!

It is a ‘sbwa’ more commonly know as a sector based work academy blah blah blah In return the employer guarantees to interview those who successfully complete the two elements, and hopefully employs them! This is a voluntary programme for the unemployed.

Aah, at last, an internship for shelf stackers.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I didn’t think you could spell student incorrectly. The ironing is delicious.

I didn’t realise you were such a… connasour 😆

ph0010421
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

ph0010421 I think the joke is on you…

Yeah; I don’t think it is, but I appreciate your thought.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No, really, it is.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is a ‘sbwa’ more commonly know as a sector based work academy which is designed to help long term unemployed people back into work by encouraging employers (who would normally not consider long term unemployed people)to give them a guaranteed interview & hopefully a job.

aye it is but really who here thinks it takes some serious training to teach someone to stack shelves?

Basically what happens is that a training provider trains a group of long term unemployed in basic skills like customer service, basic food hygene, manually handling.

they are paid to do this and I am not sure I would call them a training provider tbh. Locally it is usually A4e or similiar who only work with unemployed people giving them low level skills that dont train them for anything in particular. Often the training is exactly what the company has to legally train the staff in anyway to allow them to work and fulfill their H & S obligation – moving and handling and hygiene for example. Obviously a cost that Tesco could not meet themselves eh

The subjects covered are the ones the employer has said would help applicants get the job. This is normally a quick course that takes a couple of weeks.

We used to call this induction iirc

Then the Jobcentre arranges for those people to have a short period of Work Experience with an employer who has vacancies. This is because many of them have either not worked before, or may have never worked and have stated that this is holding them back from finding a job. In return the employer guarantees to interview those who successfully complete the two elements, and hopefully employs them!

sometimes but then again it is mandatory and we could have degree educated folk like al doing this for F all reason, it just depends. It is not bespoke to your needs

This is a voluntary programme for the unemployed.

It is slowly becomong manadatory and if they[JC+] ask you and you refuse they can stop your benefits so saying it is voluntary is not entirely true..it is on paper but not in practice.

Feel free to criticise this programme but I have seen it working very well with employers taking on people who they would not normally touch with a barge pole.

so have i and i have seen large employers use the state to pay for the training they legally need to do and exploit a steady stream of free workers for as long as the programme lasts

You may scoff at some of the ideals behind this but after meeting long term unemployed people who have got jobs through this scheme it never ceases to amaze me how getting a job changes their whole persona, even if that job is one that many others would want to do!

It depends on the person it really does. The main issue is not just lack of skills it is fundamentally a lack of jobs. It is usually between 1- 8 or 1-6 for signers to jobs so all the training in the world wont make that much difference.

they can be good schemes , they can be really poor. It depends on many factors
    The work experience should be time limited though to say 4 weeks.

I dont think large employers do this to get folk off benefits they do it as cheap way of recruiting. It creates no extra jobs but it does reduce Tescos recruitment costs and they get a fair bit of zero cost labour as well…they win more than anyone else and i would rather not subsidise them to recruit folk tbh whilst making the poor and desperate and unskilled work for f all.

gwaelod
    Free Member

List of companies participating in this scheme here

http://www.boycottworkfare.org/?page_id=16

TK MAXX, Sainsburys and Waterstones have said they will no longer take part

Vote with your wallet

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Yeah; I don’t think it is, but I appreciate your thought.

You’re quite right, I feel such a fool. 1st in Mech Eng and I’ve not yet learnt how to spell stoodent. Clearly higher education is a waste of time, not what it used to be etc. 😉

On the plus side, at least Tesco’s might have me for JSA+expenses…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Boycott workfare

Just thought it was worth pinging this one back up…

vinnyeh

all an ‘IT error’, apparently..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17084634

RichPenny
    Free Member

Nope, that refers to the specific job advert. I think the scheme could be referred to as a moral error, perhaps…

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

When I left school, way back when the Stone Roses were number one…

I did something similar, I got paid £35 pounds a week of government money, in return I got shit loads of experience in the field I wanted to work in, learnt loads, made some great friends, got a great CV and went on to do a course at college with some experience of working and doing the job under my belt. Some of the lads I did YTS with stayed for the full two years and I know a couple who got taken on full time at the end of it.

Maybe we should have phoned the human rights lawyers 🙄

Sandwich

Tescos are now wobbling over using “Workfare”. They are unhappy with the compulsion after one week and the PR disaster that is using tax-payer funded servitude.Tesco want changes.

Sandwich

I got shit loads of experience in the field I wanted to work in

Not quite the same as compulsory shelf stacking though is it? Yes it’s work experience but of quite low value to a falling jobs market.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

But its for three weeks, rather than two years. And having a number of friends and family who have been long term unemployed I’d strongly suggest that the experience of getting out of bed in the morning and turning up to work on time for three weeks would be a valuable and important addition to their job skills…

project
    Free Member

Its cheap labour for tesco,s, and no clubcard points, you need proper training for proper jobs.Not moving one box from a roll cage to a shelf.on nights.

Oh and there was a protest today in london , and they forced the closure of a tesco store, well done those peeps.

I had a yts working for me quite a few years ago, he loved it, we got on well, and he learnt a lot, but then he got the chance to make things, to meet customers, to answer the phone, to make tea etc etc, alll skills people in jobs need.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Job vacancy, is this the way employment is going’ is closed to new replies.