• This topic has 33 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Jeffsy bottom Bracket foocked after 5 months whats a good replacement ?
  • blastit
    Free Member

The Race Face one is getting a bit noisy after only 5 months of dryish riding, grease seems to have come out the back of bearing.
    I think its a pf 41 od with a 30mm id not sure on width. pressed into cups and then into carbon frame.
    So what would be a good replacement ??

bgascoyne
    Free Member

you can just knock out the bearings and get some replacement ones from a bearing shop. Works out cheaper. If there is nothing wrong with the plastic cups its a good solution. I did that with my Capra. The drive side bearing was knackered. Non drive was ok. I just got an enduro bearing – so far so good.

russyh
    Free Member

There are no plastic cups on the Jeffsy. I replaced my RF Bb with a hope variant from ‘fat birds’. Basically it’s just 2 bearings for £50. Which is a little steep. It’s a pf41 30mm variant. So far so good about a month in.

Simwit

The standard BB bearings are about as cheap & choddy as you can get, mine seized solid after getting wet, there’s no way they’d make it through a UK winter IMO. I couldn’t find the Hope bearings when I replaced mine a few weeks ago so I bought the Wheels Manufacturing BB86/92 ones instead, expensive again but they’re double row bearings & the quality looks excellent (Jeffsy CF with Race Face Cinch 30mm spindle).

paton
    Free Member

…. pressed into cups and then into carbon frame.
    So what would be a good replacement ??

A frame with a threaded bottom bracket shell??

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFa5HBfRhnE[/video]

northernremedy

Mine went after about 150 miles. Hope ones in as described and jobs a good un

blastit
    Free Member

Will have a look at Hopes
    Cheers

blastit
    Free Member

For anyone who thinking of this , just fitted hope pf4130 this afternoon.
    Popped out the race face with a headset removal tool , the one that’s flared at one end . The bearings came out easy so you could drift them out with a socket on a extension bar or the like.
    On closer inspection the bearing and cup are all one item so the lot comes out as one. The hope ones are a bit wider and look a bit beefier so hopefully will last a bit longer. There is a plastic tube between the bearings to keep water from coming from inside frame into bearings, this just slides out,again I used headset removal tool to push this out.
    It was a little wet on the outside the tube so I will put that back in but need to take off a spacer and trim the width a little as the hope bearings are a bit wider.Give everything a good clean up, I justed used some rag and alight smear of grease on the bearings so the slip in nice and easy. Make sure you fit the spacers if needed and I just gently tapped bearings with a hammer keeping them nice and square as they went in and as they seat you can hear the tone change as you tap. I prefer to tap in the bearings like this as unless you have the correct tool it can be a bit of a nightmare to get them straight with the threaded bar and washer setup, once they start to go in at a slight angle its very hard to get them straight again but with the hammer a gentle tap and its sorted.
    Popped the cranks back on and all is good. 😀

russyh
    Free Member

I take it this is an alloy Jeffsy frame?? My carbon Jeffsy just has cups molded I tot he frame, as in they are not removeable. It uses flanged cartridge bearings?

blastit
    Free Member

No, Carbon frame. What year is yours ? Mines the first one bought this year.
    Yes its a flanged bearing , I wasn’t sure what they were called sorry

blastit
    Free Member

So just to confirm flanged bearing straight into carbon frame

blastit
    Free Member

The hope bearings are a Enduro DRF 3041-2rs with a couple of spacers.
    bit of blurb here :

DRF-3041-2RS-SS Enduro Double Row Flanged Stainless Steel Bearing 30×41/44×11

Enduro’s Stainless Steel bearings feature the same specs as the popular ABEC 3 range, but with corrosion resistant 440 C stainless steel balls and races. This material provides maximum corrosion resistance in applications and environments where critical. Stainless steel has 20% less load capacity than the 52100 chromium steel, used in most Enduro bearings, but with far superior corrosion resistance.

I can’t find them cheaper than Hope and with there back up seems a no brainer.

russyh
    Free Member

So mine is a 2016/17 CF One, I replaced the BB with a hope pressfit, needed to fit a spacer but the bearings just pressed into the frame. I didn’t have a plastic tube in my frame?

RicB

Do the Hope bearings have any sort of protective cover over the seals? From the photos it looks like they don;t and I can’t see them lasting long without one?

Praxis seem to put covers on theirs but then I’m not sure if this’ll impact chainline?

blastit
    Free Member

Plastic tube was from the race face one fitted before and as it seemed to be keeping some water out I thought I would leave it in .

blastit
    Free Member

No covers on the Hope ones, mine needed spacers anyway so that praxis might fit without any .
    Any more info on those praxis ones ??

russyh
    Free Member

Yeah the hope one is open to the elements, like the look of the praxis one and the fact it has a wavy washer! Let’s see how he hope lasts this winter.

orangewinger
    Free Member

I think the Praxis one is only for their crankset.

russyh
    Free Member

So as if by magic! My Hope BB has lasted a month…well I have had to strip down and re-grease, the frankly dog muck design where the bearings are open to the elements means i cant see it lasting any more time than the RF original. Anyone have any recommendations of better shielded BB’s?? I cant cope with having to strip and replace/grease BB’s at £50 a pop every month. So if there are no alternatives, it looks like it maybe time for an early bath for the jeffsy

Stupid BB standard!

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Same boat here…..RF BB92 on CF2 Jeffsy 29er sounding rough 8 months in. The RF ones are about for as low as £29.00 (Tredz with discount) so with the Hope looking like not such a great option with no sealing I’m tempted stick to original spec bearings but leave the Jeffsy for the dry. I have built up a winter hardtail but the Jeffsy is so damn good to ride (and leaves my ageing body feeling considerably less battered!) that I’ve been riding it, against original plans, in the wet and mud. The local muds not so bad but the Cannock sandy grinding paste is brutal on drive train and no doubt BB too.

Another option might be this Rotor equivalent of the Hope/WMF double bearing row bearings: Has extra seal unlike hope and much cheaper. Can’t find info on specific bearing spec though.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Rotor-Press-Fit-4130-Bottom-Bracket_109064.htm?sku=404070&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiA78XTBRBiEiwAGv7EKrRUsu7DzJ-0K1VcDT78flKTVCxwJ7RknQ0sdvQbV8t-sK7J3IxsThoCCLsQAvD_BwE#

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/rotor-press-fit-4130-steel/136710246/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=6308742&country=uk&gclid=CjwKCAiA78XTBRBiEiwAGv7EKqlzFm4fFgkpiqRDDyd2LVW-ZgJrJ87Wdo5Mxr1u8yCr9Bo6pNTBnRoC1uwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Anyone tried it??

dougieb
    Free Member

So, I’ve just replaced my RF 30mm BB with the Rotor one. Not ridden it yet, but will report back on longevity

guitarhero
    Free Member

SRAMs new DUB system looks like it will address this with a slightly smaller axle size to accommodate bigger bearings/better sealing. New cranks required obviously.

Or just get a Shimano crankset

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Your timing is exceptional dougieb! That at least confirms it fits OK. Did you have any fun with spacers and did you leave in/adapt for width the race face sleep bit?

kiwifiz
    Free Member

sorry should read “sleeve bit” before autocorrect attacked and now can’t edit post.

tanisdraven
    Free Member

For those of you that fitted the Hope BB what spacers did you use?

I have a 2016 AL Comp and i’m on my 3rd RaceFace BB. I’d like to fit the Hope BB but not sure what spacers are needed to keep the chainline.

RicB

I was going to start a new thread but thought dusting this one off might be better

How are people getting on with the Hope replacement for the RF PF41 30mm?

I’ve regreased mine a few times but it’s dying now, and taking it out to regrease and put back in a carbon frame every couple of months does make me nervous.

Really tempted to go back to a 24mm shimano crank so I can fit a decent BB!

Poopscoop

Hope in my carbon Jeffsy.

It’s my “summer bike” though and doesn’t see too much mud.

Longterm? 24mmm is the way to go so you can just change the bearings rather than the whole BB.

Shame really as I like the RF cinch system.

dovebiker

PF4130 is a crock – putting a 30mm spindle through a 41mm hole means the bearings are only 5.5mm deep, so the rollers are going to be tiny, like <3mm and any water/ dirt is going to kill them short order, plus axial alignment is critical, otherwise rapid wear. Wheels Manufacturing put a bit more effort by suppling some additional external seals and repacking them with a tenacious marine grease will help

russyh
    Free Member

Shame really as I like the RF cinch system.

Buy an aeffect crankset then, 24mm cinch and bullet proof!

I gave up on 30mm cranks in my Jeffsy, it’s a ridiculous idea to be honest and hope should know better than even try and offer a solution. I sold the bike in the end. Shame it was the single biggest criticism I had for what was an excellent bike

bigyan
    Free Member

Higher quality bearings (eg Hope) last a little bit longer, but still fail in an unreasonable amount of time its just a shit design, tiny bearings which are poorly sealed.

I would run a 24mm spindle crank personally.

Poopscoop

russyh

Buy an aeffect crankset then, 24mm cinch and bullet proof!

Yeah, something I might do at some point as the Jeffsy will be with me for a long time.👍

souster4
    Free Member

I’ve got a hope PF41 in my capra. Have to say it’s absolute rubbish, I wouldn’t say it’s as good as the original raceface one.

After every couple of rides, I have to removed cranks, prize off the seals and flush it out. Then repack with grease.

Got me thinking about 24mm crankset now. Will that enable cups to stay in place and just bearings replaced?

Poopscoop

In short yes. Cups stay in allowing you to replace the rest/ bearings etc.

Removing the cups from my carbon Jeffsy is something I won’t be doing often…. Hence change to 24mm for me when my hope BB packs up I think.

RicB

Hmmmm all of the above suggests 24mm then!

I’ve already got a SLX crank with a fairy new chainring, which means I only need the BB.

Any suggestions re PF41/24mm BB? The Wheels Mfu one seems to get the best reviews. I’d like one that screws together if possible but ideally without spending a fortune on specific tools a la Hope.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Jeffsy bottom Bracket foocked after 5 months whats a good replacement ?’ is closed to new replies.