Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Itunes & network drive issue
  • z1ppy

I’ve dumped all my media onto a NAS device and have had itunes locate all the files.. no problems there.
    Now everytime I try to add a media file to my iphone, it displays a ! next to the file and tell me to locate it manually. Which is fricken annoying & I end up deleting the album and re-adding it rather than doing every song individually.
    Any idea how to stop itunes doing this, as I make sure the network drive is on the same drive letter everytime and check the drive is mapped & accessible before starting itunes.

Struggling on how to word all of that ^^^^^^^^ into a google question that give me a answer of the various apple forums 😕

Taff
    Free Member

I had this with our network. Will need to ask the guy in work how we sorted it. We still have issues with the films hough so have to put them onto our local pcs

z1ppy

I’d appreciate it if you would Taff, really annoyed by this, and consider the size of my library ‘just’ rescanning them all regularly not an option

petrieboy

Are you pointing iTunes at a mapped network drive or Running iTunes server on the NAS box??

bagpuss
    Free Member

I think that’s what I had with ours when I moved to a Mac from a PC. Turns out I needed to mount the drive before itunes starts, at start up now the drive is accessed and opens in a finder window, since then no problems.

z1ppy

pointing itunes to the mapped network drive petriebiy.
    I have no love of the program, & ‘only’ use it for my phone, so haven’t investigated it further than adding media file and creating playlists…. 😳
    If I want to play file on my computer, I’d use anything but itunes to play them.

I assume I should investigate itune server then?

z1ppy

Bagpuss, I definitely confirm I have access to the drive, it’s mapped with the same drive letter everytime, before starting itunes in order to try and resolve the issue. The issue still continues.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Running any software that sits between the PC and the NAS? When I was using the PC I was running Mio-net (geeks stop sniggering now) which caused no end of issues accessing the drive until I removed it. I have no need to access the NAS from anywhere other than at home so losing that software wasn’t a problem.

z1ppy

Nope, nothing, windows maps the drive (or tries to) at logon (auto re-mapping), that’s it. I check the drives there and I can access it, then start iTunes.

Admittedly it’s netgear NAS with not the greated rep & has a tendancy to fail annoyingly (just stops and won’t allow me to try again) if I try and push too much stuff over it it at once (3Gb+ say).

bagpuss
    Free Member

That’s exhausted the Bagpuss knowledge pool. Sorry. 🙁

z1ppy

😀 no problem, prefer any advice, rather than an ignored thread…

bagpuss
    Free Member

I know how frustrating it can be getting it all working.

WD NAS, Netgear router (from Sky), itunes because of various ipods and iphones in the family and PC with no problems at all once I’d removed the WD software. Moved to Mac and couldn’t get itunes working properly, ended up with a call to Apple support and they sorted it. The irony of moving to Apple hardware and having problems with Apple software was not lost on me. 😳

z1ppy

Just to update this thread, in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Taff’s solution was to add it to the windows firewall.. seems obvious but as I definitely already had access to the internet and network, it didn’t seem the answer, but I pursued it anyways.

Itunes did have a listing in the windows firewall already, so I didn’t add it straight away, but did the iTune network diagnostics, which reported it could access the network/internet fine though also reported it didn’t have an entry in the window firewall.
    Very bizarre, so I manually added it (above the entry already there) and iTunes agrees now it has an entry when using the diagnostic.

No !’s listed in Itune now, so will see how it goes. 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Itunes & network drive issue’ is closed to new replies.