Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • It's not the dog at fault…
  • roach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/8309434.stm

How long is this sort of thing going to be allowed to go on 👿

BlingBling
    Free Member

The only thing more stupid than a dog is it's owner 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Do you have more details about the incident than we do?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How long is this sort of thing going to be allowed to go on

I don't think it's "allowed".

glenh
    Free Member

In what way could it possibly be the dog's 'fault'? They are animals and do animal stuff, which includes killing things.

richc
    Free Member

If you were hit by a car would you blame it, or the driver?

Coyote
    Free Member

Dogs destroyed and owner prosecuted and hopefully jailed.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don't really understand why people have dogs, given that they occasionally eat babies and deny moral responsibility for their actions. But then I don't understand why people have babies either. 🙂

Drac

But then I don't understand why people have babies either.

For the same reason? That occasionally, although probably more than dogs, humans kill babies?

organic355
    Free Member

I was out running last night and got "attacked" by a dopey gold lab. Well not quite but I was a bit pissed off as the owner saw me coming towards them and the dog spotted me and started running towards me, luckily he was friendly enough and was just playing but still got tangled up in my legs and nearly sent be flying. The owner manager to get hold of it and I carried on running, only to find it running along behind me a few seconds later, tripping me up again.

Luckily I like dogs, if I wasnt a dog lover it would have gotten a swift boot in the chops, the dog too.

Owners do really need to control their dogs more.

soobalias
    Free Member

ah if its ok for you all to read between the lines, so can i.

irresponsible parents fail to control toddler who gets eaten by dogs not under proper control

DILLIGAF?

best outcome is both sets of owners are put down.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I own a dog, I keep it under control, unlike the neighbours cat that keep crapping in our front garden!

evilollie
    Free Member

Owners fault, dogs are pack animals and dominence is a genetic track.

Dogs don't percieve children for what they are , hence animals constantly strive for greater standing within thepack structure, which involves aggression at times to other pack members of others outside the pack

so to leave a child near a dog is madness. People humanise their animals and believe they live in our world with our rules…… Wrong

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If Staffies are such darlings, why is it I always see them in the rough parts of town? 🙄

Seriously though, I know they can be lovely dogs – I sat petting one particularly sweet female at the weekend waiting to open a lock on the Kennet Avon. Sweet and all as she was, I still wouldn't fancy any bone in my body versus her jaws – they're scary powerful.

evilollie
    Free Member

All dogs are capable of damage. It's just the bullbreeds can cause more damage due to power. Breeds like amercan bulldogs . Presa's and various bandogs would inflict horrendous damage due to bite power. There are so many factors involved but the main thing is responsible ownership

anagallis_arvensis

Some bullshit spouted here, bullbreeds dont do more damage because of their power its cause they are more aggressive, my little lurcher could tear a toddler to shreds in double quick time and shes pretty unpowerful

Dogs are not pack animals they are dogs not wolves, ferral dogs dog form packs. You've been watching too much dog whisperer!!

Oh and if your a dog loving jogger and a dog runs up to you when jogging just stroke it, you'll get much less stressed. I've had a few run ins with mtbers and my dog. When I see them I call her and she comes running (at high speed usually) yet still some impatient twunts cant be bothered to slow down.

evilollie
    Free Member

I bow to your wisdom … Not

When you workdogs for a living and have titled dogs in competative sport I will listen to you .

anagallis_arvensis

When you workdogs for a living

have done that, not anymore though

ferral dogs dog form packs should say they dont form packs

NikNak7890
    Free Member

evilollie – Member

When you workdogs for a living and have titled dogs in competative sport I will listen to you .

i HAVE worked dogs, and placed first in MANY obedience competitions, and what anagallis_arvensis says is correct and complete sense.

The Domestication of pit bull terriers, The Japanese Tosa, The Dogo Argentino and The Fila Brazileiro, was banned because of Ellie Lawrenson being mauled to death.
    An absolute tragedy I agree, and the putting down of the dog and prosecution of the owners was the correct thing to do; but the killers of Jamie Bulger got 8 years and new lives to start again. Owning children wasn't banned, and the parents weren't prosecuted, far from it, they were moved to new homes with new identities.

Border Collies are the 2nd most rescued breed (2nd to Greyhounds) often because of their boredom levels, coming out in snapping and attacking people/animals.

Dogs (like kids) are born a blank sheet, it's what we do with them afterwards is what makes them what they are.

anagallis_arvensis

out of intrest what did I say that you dont agree with?

Pigface
    Free Member

Bull breeds arent more aggressive, thats where you are wrong. Everything else I would go along with.

anagallis_arvensis

Some breeds are more aggressive amongst them bull breeds, having said thst daschunds and chihauhaus seem to be the worst.

http://www.biol.ntnu.edu.tw/yuyinghs/yuyinghsu/papers/DuffyHsuSerpell2008.pdf

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dogs (like kids) are born a blank sheet, it's what we do with them afterwards is what makes them what they are.

Not all the blank sheets are the same though are they? Take terrier breeds, when the breeds were being created in the past, puppies that didn't show enough aggression were shot. The same with other breeds. It just seems a little simplistic to imply that all dogs start off equal.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That's not true, they are not "blank sheets".

Indeed you make the point yourself when you say, quote : "Border Collies are the 2nd most rescued breed (2nd to Greyhounds) often because of their boredom levels, coming out in snapping and attacking people/animals"

Much of a dog's character and predisposition is determined at the moment of conception. We can work to influence a dog's character and predisposition , but we are not offered a blank sheet to work with.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

What I was trying to say (badly) is that specific breeds, don't necessarily make nasty aggressive dogs, we turn them that way.

I will admit though that, like people, there are the odd individuals that are mentally unstable, and should be put down.
    We have a close friend that is petrified of Bulldogs, Staffies, Rotties etc, but will think nothing of defending Border Collies & Terriers as perfectly safe.
    Dogs are Dogs. Some are brought up to be lovely, some are not.

I'd be interested to see what the breed of dogs were, as the article doesn't actually mention it.

alwyn
    Free Member

Oh god not another dog thread! Calling TJ.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

soobalias
    Free Member

those of you thinking bull breads are not more aggressive obviously dont own them (staffs excluded)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘It's not the dog at fault…’ is closed to new replies.