Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • "its like me punching my computer or something……throwing it on the floor"
  • IamSam
    Free Member

Morning all,

the quote above is how a friend of mine, a non cyclist digital artist, likened how I like to spend my time to his own preference.

"its like me punching my computer or something……throwing it on the floor then burying it in the ground????????"

sent this to me after telling him about a smashed mech hanger from last nights ride and it made me laugh….. then realize how right he is, ridiculous thing to spend money on but a whole load of fun this bike lark

morning ramble may be of interest??

that is all

ctznsmith
    Free Member

It's more like him 'overclocking' his PC with the possibility he may fry something. It's just pushing stuff to the extreme for enjoyment.

Nick

eh? isn't this just normal wear and tear? breaking a mech on a rock is hardly akin to thrashing something within a inch of it's life in a Basil Fawlty style.

DezB
    Free Member

JoB got it right (14 years ago!)

IamSam
    Free Member

DezB,

brilliant sent him the link to the scan, sure he'll live it.

ctznsmith, he's a mac user.

nick, told him what the cost could be if the hanger hadn't gone.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Referring to the hardware seems to me so beside the point – I mean, you have to have a bike, but that's not why you ride – it's the whole carnal experience of excitement, challenge, joint effort and hilarity that makes me go back again and again, and if I or my bike/camera etc get broken in the process then that's just a temporary inconvenience preventing me from riding. When I break a bone or shred my flesh, my first thought is for the riding I'll miss while I recover!

With respect to Jo, it's nothing like tearing up money – the kit is being used for its intended purpose 🙂

IamSam
    Free Member

Simon,

agree with all of the above but unlike yourself my bike is also something I bought as a desire object, much to the detriment of my friends. having had a rather unstable work life this has been the first time I have been able to treat my self so I spent my money on a pretty bike, my friend was there at the time as well. It wasn't an easy thing for me to do and I think he's just showing concern about the sanity of buying something that as well as functional was pretty and then trying to trash it

Make any sense?? not sure, but laughed at his email this morning

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've had a ludicrously expensive bike too, but I came to realise that I could have just as much fun with a cheap tatty hardtail, and to me it feels more democratic – most people could afford a bike like mine if they chose to join in – and of course I can just concentrate on riding it and not worry about it getting scratched or bent 🙂 – pretty much the way I treat my ageing carcass too 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

IT geeks are just not used to something wearing out before they're bored of it, the cheeky little magpies.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm pretty much with SFB on this one. It doesn't matter how pretty a bike is, it's useless if you don't use it, a total waste of money. I've also regressed to cheaper, and fewer, bikes (OK, I seem to have a knack of getting nice bits very cheap too: I've just upgraded to some £750 forks for £55 outlay 🙂 ) partly because I had an expensive one sitting doing nothing, and my favourite bike almost as unused because I was just riding a SS. Which is silly. Ride the favourite, sell the SS and spend the money on parts for the other two!

DezB
    Free Member

With respect to Jo, it's nothing like tearing up money – the kit is being used for its intended purpose

And there was me thinking you'd "get it" 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

And there was me thinking you'd "get it"

there's something about the style that makes my eyes slide off the drawings 🙁

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘"its like me punching my computer or something……throwing it on the floor"’ is closed to new replies.