Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • is this clarke torque wrench ok for bikes?
  • sefton
    Free Member

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht141-1-2in-drive-torque-wrench

need to fit a carbon crank 55NM

I have this wrench already (from days messing around with cars)

mattg123
    Free Member

Not much on a bike requires 28nm of torque mate, you’ll want a smaller one than that.

ragleybaggerrider
    Free Member

I use a 6-60 nm 3/8 torque wrench from halfords for the bike and my motorbike, its halfords own brand but apparently they are made by sykes pickavant -which is a well respected brand. I think if you are a member of British Cycling you can get 10% off there as well.

Northwind

Not the most precise, those, I’ve got a couple too… Great for wheel nuts, and the other one I use basically as a ratchetable breaker bar. It’ll do the job I reckon, the 55nm will have a fair range of error and it’s in the middle of the bar’s range so should be where it’s most accurate. Wouldn’t trust it at all at the ends.

I think the Halfords one is by Beta- the head is different to their own brand models but the shaft and handle are the same.

nigelb001
    Free Member

Not much on a bike requires 28nm of torque mate, you’ll want a smaller one than that.

K-Force Light carbon cranks do, which is probably what he wants them for (or similar) as he says in his post.

That torque wrench should be fine not terribly accurate but you don’t want to spend on a super-duper wrench just for this one job.

mattg123
    Free Member

ignore me, I just looked at the link on my phone & didn’t read the post 😳

But in my defense there isn’t much that requires that much on a bike…

sefton
    Free Member

yeah its for a slk crank for my road bike. heard they can be problematic. so want to make sure its done right.

with regards to bb’s – I have a bb spanner ‘thingy’ which I normally torque by hand (super tight)

Dibbs
    Free Member

I have SLK cranks on my Ss Mtb and my road bike, the torque range is 45/55nm as far as i remember, i aim for 50 to allow for errors in the torque wrench.

sefton
    Free Member

I’ll just nip it up and take it to my LBS to torque.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘is this clarke torque wrench ok for bikes?’ is closed to new replies.