Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Is there much to do in Stanmer park Brighton?
  • giddyrob
    Free Member

Just wondering if it's up to much? Can you get a couple of hours riding in there?

Also, would it be good for a bit of night riding?

Cheers

Rob

mdb
    Free Member

Nah, the riding there is really poor and you would probably get bored within 30 mins. I would steer well clear if i were you.

If anyone mentions Brighton Big Dog Race or the really sweet singletrack and grin-inducing handbuilt trails I would ignore 'em.

Stick to the fireroad trails or seafront.

Simonofthepiemans
    Free Member

Hello Rob

I ride there everyweek. It's loads of fun with plenty of twisty turny technical singletrack. When you get to know all the tracks you can easliy string together a good couple of hours ride with plenty of climbs and speedy downhills.
    If you go up there now you can probably follow the track from the Brighton Big Dog on Saturday. It was so muddy that the trails should still be easlily identifiable.

Maybe see you there

Simon

giddyrob
    Free Member

yeah, was looking at the size of it. It's tiny compared to somewhere like epping forest.

Where are the fireroad trails? Or do you just mean the South Down tracks?

Simonofthepiemans
    Free Member

Actually mdb has a point. No fun to be head there really. Stay clear.

giddyrob
    Free Member

? confused me now Simon.

I live here in Brighton so might as well go and have a look. Not like I've far to go to get there.

5lab

Hey Rob

Might be doing a morning blast up there tomorrow if you fancy it/can slack off work?

there's a nice dogging spot, if that's the kinda thing you're after, or there are some trails on which to ride bikes.

giddyrob
    Free Member

Yeah, I freelance so scratch my nuts most days 😉 Would be good to check out the local dogging spot 😉

What time were you thinking? I'm in Hanover so need to ride up there or meet you somewhere closer if you live near here.

5lab

I'm up just off bear road so can either ride from mine (there's a steep trail to get going on right out my front door, leading down to bevendean, or I can take you offroad over woodingdean, then to the top of the beacon, if you fancy a longer more xcish route to start) or I can meet you down the bottom of wilde park and we can go from there..

8ish for a few hours?

hughlunnon@yahoo.com

Zukemonster
    Free Member

There is loads of stuff up there, some of it is much more obvious than others. Lots of technical obstacles, small jumps etc and really nice single track. Best to go with somebody or you will miss most of it, although I imagine the big dog stuff should be avoided for a while.

giddyrob
    Free Member

Cheers. I used to ride epping a lot a couple of years ago and found it took some good seeking to find the sweet places.

sent mail Hugh

5lab

I didn't do the big dog – are the trails they used obvious? Last time they'd cut a couple of new trails near the bottom of the hill (that come out near the lower footbridge over the a27) – is it that kinda area again?

Zukemonster
    Free Member

don't know what type of 'pick-n-pack' system they use but it doesn't seem to be working very well at the moment. Single item orders IME arrive next day but if you have 2+ items it seems to increase the processing time.

I think you mean the coldean seciton? They weren't cut for the big dog, but probably made more obvious after everybody rode it at the race.

The trails they used this year will be blindingly obvious due to them being completely churned up during what became a mud fest. I am sure they will soon return to normal loveliness though

chiefgrooveguru

Mr Lab and Rob, I'd be up for joining you tomorrow am if three isn't a crowd. I know most of the Stanmer trails but there's a few that have eluded me so far. There's plenty to ride that isn't a post Big Dog mudfest…

5lab

cheif – drop me a mail – hughlunnon@yahoo.com – I'll then reply to you & rob and we can figure it out from there

giddyrob
    Free Member

Sounds good to me Cheif, just waiting for hugh's email 😉

giddyrob
    Free Member

my email btw is rob@robjshillito.com

5lab

sent emails to both of ya 🙂

Simonofthepiemans
    Free Member

Sorry Giddyrob

I thought mdb was being silly and decided to join in. It's great up there. Even if the trails used for the big dog are churned up they'll stil be good fun, there was quite a mixed bag of what Stanmer has to offer on the course. Post back here and tell us what you think after tomorrow.

woodsman
    Free Member

What time are you meeting and where? Just in case I decide to amble over 🙂 will post on here if I am.

5lab

woodsman – my house (just off bear road) at 8.30, or the falmer footbridge at 9.15.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3971150

turns out there's a lot of slackers in Brighton 🙂

giddyrob
    Free Member

Oh yes!

Are we all freelance???

5lab

I work at the big white building beginning with an a, but I'm lazy (go on holiday on Friday so I'm in wind down mode)

giddyrob
    Free Member

Hmmmm, there's the American Express building just down the road. Guess it's big compared to most buildings in Brighton. Just got back from NY so everything is looking a bit toy town at the mo 😉

5lab

we've got a bit hole out the back, so total floor-to-peak has gotta be around 12 stories now 🙂

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Brighton MTB meet up at the Sussex University car park and ride at 7pm on Thursdays ….

Pretty sedate pace, but you get to ride with the guys who made the trails so you can moan if you don't like it 😉

chiefgrooveguru

I used to be a slacker, now I'm self-employed! 😉

woodsman
    Free Member

I'm such a slacker there's no way I'm going be up and about at 9.15. Thanks though and have a good ride y'all.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Is there much to do in Stanmer park Brighton?’ is closed to new replies.