Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is there a good android app for planning and following a route
  • djglover
    Free Member

I want to plan a route on bike hike and transfer the gpx to my device and follow the route, just on the road, so some kind of google map based thingy would be OK.

Anyone using anything good?

andrewy

Not google map based, but Viewranger is great. Having 1:25,000 OS maps on the phone is fantastic.

frogstomp

+lots for ViewRanger

And it supports the Open’X’Maps (OpenStreetMap, OpenCycleMap etc) so you don;t have to buy the OS tiles.

The Endomondo app uses Google Maps I think..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

MM tracker is another to look at. It will use memory map files, so you can have the maps local to the phone rather than relying on network delivery.

djglover
    Free Member

Thanks just donwloaded viewranger, looks good, wish I could work out how to import the gpx files though,,,

frogstomp

Thanks just donwloaded viewranger, looks good, wish I could work out how to import the gpx files though,,,

You can either register on their website (my.viewranger.com), upload them to there and then sync.. or stick them on your phone, run ViewRanger then: MENU button->Organizer->Tracks (or Routes). Then hit the MENU button again and select Import/Export (Synchronize is here too, to update from the website).

DickBarton

Not an app as such but I can highly recommend eyes and nose…a sort of biological pairing that beats an app every time…needs to be paired with sense of adventure for full effect.

djglover
    Free Member

Thanks for the useful advice, I might try just the nose and see what happens.

DickBarton

Nose on it’s own can give mixed results…much better to be paired with eyes.

DickBarton

Oruxmaps might do what you need…I use it to log my rides but never tried navigating by it…best to download mobile atlas creator and get your map and route preinstalled.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is there a good android app for planning and following a route’ is closed to new replies.