Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • is my plan ridiculous? can you suggest better?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

how long a ride can we do?

edit – do you or does anyone else know the deal with taking bikes on those trains? the online form doesn’t list details about whether/how you pay extra…

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Depends on how long you stay for! Anything between 5 minutes (great little loop from the front door!) to 8 hours+. I would recommend about 4 1/2 hours since it is very hilly but don’t mind longer. All of it great stuff if you like steep rocky riding! Got Saturday free so you can choose.

lyons
    Free Member

ive been to afan, rode the long route ( is that the skyline?) amd back on a horrible rainy, cold cant see more than 20 metres in front of you, wind blowing you backwards kind of day.. And my mate was on a Sx trail. I live just north of london…

So of course you can do it…

HackneyRider
    Free Member

RB yeah it’s silly and fast…

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Basically you get a ticket (it is free) for the bike when you buy the train ticket and the only way of doing it properly is to go to the station, don’t think they will do it online (definately not Trainline).

theflatboy
    Free Member

ok, NDT – how about we say i get the train to stockport for about 10, get out and do a 5 hour sort of effort and then i get the train back at 17:43? the techier the better!

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

No problem. Send me an email with the times and I’ll pick you up. 17.43 is pushing it since you won’t have time for a nice after-ride pint without feeling a bit rushed. But if that is the time you have got then it is definately doable.

theflatboy
    Free Member

blimey, well sounds like a plan then. let me just double check the trains and i’ll email you. there we go, an adventure! 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

STW = win! Brilliant!

Much more of an adventure and much better plan that spending the best part of a day in a car on your own.

😀

theflatboy
    Free Member

wow, well i’ve bought the tickets so i hope you’re being serious!

i’ll email you now with the details. 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Have you ever seen that film Hostel? 😛

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Of course I’m serious!

(Grumm, shhh…don’t spoil the plan!)

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t you just love it when a plan comes to together? (or gets completely changed and ends up being better!)
    Have a good one. This has been the most enjoyable thread of the day 🙂

Edit: yes. even nicer than Ton’s poo thread (ergh, poo thread)

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I think this is the only most positive thing that’s ever come out of this forum.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

I’d better make sure he has a nice time now since otherwise it might spoil this fantastic thread!

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’m sure i will! hope the weather’s like it is today! 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Can I come too?

DezB
    Free Member

i’m sure i will! hope the weather’s like it is today!

Oh bugger

nickc

I could just about get driving to Afan for a day in the Winter, when local riding is so shite, and road riding is just too cold and miserable to be contemplated, then and only then could you perhaps justify the time and energy to get to Wales from London. But this time of year? when all around you are dusty hard packed summer trails?

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Sure Rudeboy, of course you can come. Can only do one pick up and drop off at the station though.

Weather forecast shows a bit of sun and 24 degrees….maybe too optimistic!

HackneyRider
    Free Member

RB – Three’s a crowd 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

DezB – Member

i’m sure i will! hope the weather’s like it is today!

Oh bugger

getting better!

it will sort itself by the weekend 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

well i made it safe and sound with bike on train thanks to my diversion to euston to sort out ticket on fri.

had a cracking time, was chauffeur-driven from stockport station by dave and then had a brilliant day! my guides for the day were both excellent, well up on all the quality local routes, lots of rocky climbs and descents with some suitably steep ups and downs. both of them were very skilled and quickly made me realise that everyone who regularly rides around those parts can not only ride a bike properly but is also ridiculously fit. i have since re-evaluated my fitness levels!

on top of that, emmy’s b&b is in an amazing location with testing (as i found out!) descent right to the front door and miles and miles of trails starting and finishing right outside. the perfect base for mtbing and excellent care was taken of me from start to finish, including super cake as a mid-ride lunch treat and a generous (dave-portion) feed at the end of the day. cool dog as well!

great stuff and thanks again to both the hosts of my last-minute excursion!

Bunnyhop

Glad you enjoyed our local trails theflatboy. I’m not as fit as NDT. yet even I have a go.
    I can even vouch that the cake is superb.

Don’t tell everyone though ‘cos they’ll all want to come. Lol.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

It was quite funny because at the start of the ride I was about to say how relatively undiscovered the area is but I’m really glad I didn’t since as it happens we saw probably 30 other mountain bikers (out on an Evans event I think) and 50 (!!!) horses on a special outing! Never seen the area so busy!

pypdjl
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it Andy, and hope to see you again, there are plenty more trails out there. No need to get any fitter!

Dave

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘is my plan ridiculous? can you suggest better?’ is closed to new replies.