Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Is it the end for STW classifieds?
  • hitman
    Free Member

Discussed partly in recent post on over-pricing but things are getting a bit ridiculous. Items being priced at above retail price for second hand goods ( it doesn't matter that it's not been used, it's still effectively second hand!). Also people posting without prices and asking for offers, who ignore gentle reminders to post prices. Not to mention posters who don't return messages and those who insist on re- listing goods over and over again at the same price and fail to include reasonably vital information such as frame size!!
    And relax 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Why would it be the end?

jimmy

cheeeeel weeenston

hitman
    Free Member

Getting a bit sick of looking at over-priced/ no price/ no size/ repeat post items
    Still reasonably chilled 🙂

z1ppy

Deore wheelset's seem to be today main overpriced item.. Anymore?

BigDummy
    Free Member

The Classifieds survived the saga of Pedalthread/titaniumtit's Evil D.O.C. I reckon it will endure. 🙂

joebickley
    Free Member

Although i agree its annoying with the repeat listings and lack of details on some posts, its still the best place to pick up good quality 2nd hand parts.

Beats ebay where getting a bargain is impossible – the number of people who think "its on ebay it must be a bargain" before checking elsewhere ruins it.

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

Someone on classifieds is selling a 2 year old Lowden 023 for £1500

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ot-lowden-023-guitar

You can get them brand new under warranty for just over £2300:

http://www.georgelowden.com/

Shocking abuse of the classifieds – could it be the end?

sc-xc

The Classifieds survived the saga of Pedalthread/titaniumtit's Evil D.O.C. I reckon it will endure.

…which was nothing compared to the legendary Inbred story

jawj
    Free Member

Anybody bored enough to prop themselves up on the STW bar and reel off that old yarn about pedalthread/titaniumtit for us n00bs? Or even that classic about the "legendary inbred"?

You know you want the audience!

singletrackmind

goes to classifieds to look for front wheel after a sqiffy jump rolled the ADvantage off the rim ( tubed ) and dumped me on my backside. Taco'ing Crossland front in the process

Note to self .- Trying to look cool infront of yoofs does not work if you bin it.

Now, Mavic crossride front anywhere?

BigDummy
    Free Member

The inbred was glorious. It was, not to put too fine a point on it, an inbred, with some bits hung on it. Crucially, there was a piece of elastic tied around the stanchion, whihc was visible in the pictures. It went on sale intially at a price which attracted little interest. Several times. The price was then reduced at a rate of about £3 a day, with a repost each time. Occasionally there were posts in the forum "why isn't my inbred selling?". Then it went on ebay with a reserve, and didn't sell.

Finally, 10% of the proceeds of sale were offered to STW. I'm not sure whether it sold, even then.

It was a nice bike, but someone wasn't sucking up that depreciation. 🙂

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Titaniumtit was the funniest saga in my time here. Beautiful bike, but what a balloon. 😉

thekingofsweden

Its a bit daft to go moaning that second hand stuff is too expensive you have already made your feelings known by not making a purchase.

Isn't that how any sale works if the price is right you make the sale if its too dear then it doesn't sell unless there is someone stupid enough to pay over the odds

🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

I look regularly and find things I may be interested in. If the price is right I buy, if not I make an offer. If no movement, I dont buy it. Its not compulsory and im quite happy to walk away. Simple really.

hitman
    Free Member

Yeah, youre right of course, if you look and its too expensive, then don't buy. But too often these days something comes up that you want and the prices are ridiculous, its just wasting people's time and space on the classifieds.

ton

hitman, stop being a tightar5e and buy new……….. 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

Taylorplayer – Member

Someone on classifieds is selling a 2 year old Lowden 023 for £1500

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ot-lowden-023-guitar

You can get them brand new under warranty for just over £2300:

http://www.georgelowden.com/

Shocking abuse of the classifieds – could it be the end?

😆 For the non-guitarists on here, wood settling and seasoning itself usually means that high-end acoustic guitars age an enormous amount better than bicycles. I would rather try and then buy a 5 year old solid-top than a brand new one! Sounds like a fine price to be starting out with (but much more likely to find a buyer on a guitar forum perhaps…)

bonesetter
    Free Member

I love the classifieds 😀

Bought & sold loads. Live long and prosper

hitman
    Free Member

Taylorplayer, just read yr post 🙂 I take it that's tongue in cheek. As I'm sure you know guitars hold their value better than bikes with depreciation rates quite low with certain models and some makes actually appreciate in value on the second hand market (Wayne Henderson guitars come to mind). For a Lowden 023 in excellent condition, £1500 is a reasonable price, as Lowdens hold they're value very well – an 032 went for £1550 recently on ebay. Here's an S12 which is the same standard range as the O23 but smaller bodied and admitedly sold by a shop asking £1650:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/George-Lowden-S12-Acoustic-Guitar_W0QQitemZ290316031169QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item43982f14c1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

hitman
    Free Member

julianwilson
    you beat me to it!!
    and yes I have posted on guitar forums but knew there were some guitar players here, so thought I would give it a go 🙂

hitman
    Free Member

ton
    I've spent more on bikes in the last two months than the previous 7 years!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Is it the end for STW classifieds?’ is closed to new replies.