Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • Is it me, or do I need to find another forum?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

The constant arguing on here is starting to get me down, It doesn’t seem to matter if its about footy presents, murderers, politician’s or just 26 V 29″ wheels, no one seems to be able to just get on, express their views, & accept that people differ.

So what is the real reason for the forceful views? Pent up aggression?

Torminalis
    Free Member

No, it is because people come here knowing that there are other people who are in it for the sport and from whom they can learn and have their own views challenged.

Some people like that sort of thing.

Stoner
    Free Member

mleh. you tune it out as a pro.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

All forums become verbal sparring grounds for many. This one is no exception.

Although i am constantly amazed about the pettiness of some of the bickering stuff on here. Most people posting are adults!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I used to just ignore it, now I find certain debates a bit more interesting, but I just can’t read some without getting a tad upset.
    I don’t want to turn into TJ, so please help 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-F2HKLzB6c[/video]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

When it all starts getting me down, I just take 5 mins out and watch this. If it’s a really bad moment, they have a forum on their website too… HTH

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEN8KH-Buh4[/video]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The constant arguing on here is starting to get me down………. no one seems to be able to just get on, express their views, & accept that people differ.

He says. Before having a sly dig at another forum user with :

I don’t want to turn into TJ

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Now, I like a good argue as much as the next person. Possibly more than some.

I know it’s all about ego, insecurity, inner rage yadda yadda yadda. Domn’t stop me getting sucked in mind.

It’s like a game of intellectual chess; of course you don’t want to lose, and it can be challenging to ensure you aren’t outmoved.

Most folk are essentially ok, even if they do have silly views and opinions. Some are just plain ignorant. What can you do?

Only one or two are truly nasty. But it’s not good to hate. I might have a proper ding-dong with people on here, but I’ll happily have a pint or go for a ride with most of ’em. And I’d like to think most folk would do the same with me. If they don’t want to, then it’s no skin off my nose. I’ve met plenty of nice people off here to know mostly it’s just a bit of banter, and not to take it too seriously. Certainly not to let it cloud your ability to get on with folk in ‘real life’.

It can get a bit stupid sometimes, and yes, some comments can be upsetting, but then there are moments when it’s a joy to use this form, and be part of the ‘community’.

The good outweighs the bad by some way, imo.

Stick around…

loddrik
    Free Member

Better people bicker and argue on here than in the street. It’s all for the greater good…

Besides, my views may polarise opinion but I don’t hold grudges and I’d expect (hopefully) neither do others.

Plus sometimes, as a result of healthy heated debate, we all learn something at some point.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

At least you never noticed my poor spelling ernie..

TBH I did wonder about that, then thought that I shouldn’t worry as he is fair game for all.

Stoner
    Free Member

and as if by magic…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Best post ever from Fred IMO, just what turned you, was it meeting people from here that done it? You have never been the same since TBBB 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s like a game of intellectual chess

LOL ! 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

It just amazes me how some of the more argumentative contributors to this forum have so much time to spend on proving they are right.

It’s like a game of intellectual chess

Intellectual soggy biscuit more like.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well you know, life’s too short and all that. Better to concentrate on enjoying it, and appreciating the good things you have in life, than waste it hating and despising and resenting. A good whinge or rant is cathartic now and then, a good argue gets things out of your system, but if you allow yourself to hate, then you’re succumbing to negative energies, and doing yourself a disservice.

Stoner
    Free Member

*spafff*

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

doing yourself a disservice

http://www.whodhavethoughtthatwasagenuinesmuttysitename.com

Jesus!

*goes off to investigate more fully*

loddrik
    Free Member

I feel some banning action may be headed in the direction of this thread….

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Lol @ stoner.

downshep

No it isn’t just you, this place can get a bit much at times.

A bit of sport is fine if the thread calls for it but there’s enough shite and needless point scoring in real life without peeps getting as argumentative or inappropriate as some do on here. The mods have been pretty active of late, which will hopefully dissuade / remove the worst offenders. I’m all for free speech but there are plenty other sites doing politics, religion and scantily clad wimmen, although not necessarily at the same time, so why bring it here?

loddrik
    Free Member

Why not…. 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Let’s be honest; this forum would be interminably boring if it were solely about bikes. There is more to life you know…

samuri
    Free Member

The constant arguing on here is starting to get me down, It doesn’t seem to matter if its about footy presents, murderers, politician’s or just 26 V 29″ wheels, no one seems to be able to just get on, express their views, & accept that people differ.

Best stay in the house with a duvet over your head I think. You’ve just described the human race. I’m in total agreement though, I’d nuke us all from orbit if I could. The crap people are crap (and I’m clearly in that category), and good people make me want to kill me or them. That video yon yeti posted above made me feel a bit sick. We’re just a vile race as far as I’m concerned. Smart enough to be evil, stupid enough to be dangerous.

Hopefully we’ll get hit by an asteroid or the sun will stretch out a limb and torch us all.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

It is you AND you need to find another forum, no lets all calm down and have a group hug.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hopefully we’ll get hit by an asteroid or the sun will stretch out a limb and torch us all.

Well I hope not cos I’m signed up to ride at Mountain Mayhem for Petesgaff’s charity. And then of course there’s the BBB 2011. So I’d ask any asteroids or solar flares to hold off for at least a bit yet.

GrahamS

Some people like that sort of thing.

I’ll openly admit that I specifically come here for “the banter”.

Whatever my opinion there will be someone here that will make me rethink it from a different point of view. They won’t always change my mind (rarely in fact, as I’m fairly stubborn) but they will make me appreciate a counter-argument or alternative viewpoint. Being here challenges my prejudice and broadens my mind.

A forum full of people agreeing with each other would have nothing interesting to say.

samuri
    Free Member

Galactic timescales. You’ll probably reach 50, or maybe 51 before it happens.

Jamie
    Free Member

So what is the real reason for the forceful views?

Sexual tension.

downshep

True, there is far more to life than bikes. Splitting this forum into bike / non-bike is a great concept but the OP’s point seems to be just how quickly threads descend into willy waving nastiness. Avoiding discussions on emotive subjects such as religion & politics may reduce the chances of it all going downhill. Similarly, I like a swivel hipped well stacked lady as much as the next red blooded bloke but t’internet isn’t exactly short of other sites showing pics of women in ‘sporting’ attire. Do we really need subject matter that causes such obvious friction and potential offence?

Junkyard
    Free Member

A forum full of people agreeing with each other would have nothing interesting to say.

I could not agree more with you excellent post.

downshep

Here here, well said old boy.

CountZero

Tend to agree a lot with elfin these days. A good argumentative discussion is great, but not so much when it dissolves into petty slagging off for the sake of it. The opposite side of this particular OP coin is the enormous amount of help, love and goodwill that shows up when a member has serious family or work problems. I’ve genuinely been moved to tears by the responses to some people’s plea for help, which never ceases to astound me. There are lovely people on here, and they far outweigh the pettiness and sniping that goes on from time to time.
    Threads like the Modern Art one, or the amazingly long-running ‘Photo… you’ve taken this month’ I really can’t imagine finding anywhere else, and that’s what has kept me coming back for eight years.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I agree that Elfin/Fred/whatever his new name is, has turned in to one of the good guys now, but he used to be akin to ‘the prawn/ beer’, I’m more interested in what turned him?

GrahamS

He was always a “good guy” IMO, just a bit volatile and deeply misunderstood.

As Elfin he just got less volatile and more understood!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I expect someone will publish a map with little cross hairs targeting forum members they really don’t like soon. Then there’ll be trouble.

DrJ

The good outweighs the bad by some way, imo.

This is the best forum on the ‘net – for information and advice and discussion nowhere comes close, IME. Some people can seem like cocks (certainly me included) but I have the strong feeling that even the most “bitter” enemies would be happy to ride their bikes together and enjoy a drink and a chat.

Pass me a hanky, I’ve come over all emotional …

molgrips
    Free Member

I reckon the bickering on here is nowhere near as bad as the bickering on other forums where people bicker. There are forums where people don’t bicker at all, but they are utterly bland places where people just ask questions about how to change the windscreen wiper motor on their 1998 Passat or something.

But yes, this is a brilliant place. Nowhere else have I seen such a combination of sparkling wit, useful knowledge and genuine compassion. Even most of the arguments are intelligent and continue to draw insightful comments whilst one or two folk are having it out.

Personally I don’t feel I have any enemies on here, I just get very exasperated with the way some discussions go.

hora
    Free Member

OP there is alot of pent up aggression on here. I’d say the majority of the posters are late 30’s to late 40’s and not at ease with themselves. Probably not getting on with their SO’s and unhappy at work.

The arguments are always cyclic as well which is odd and ironic considering it is a cycling forum…

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m sure if there were more sub forums, such as a dedicated bickering forum and a dedicated non bickering forum, all would quickly degenerate into bickering anyhow. We should just embrace it and to hell with the introspection.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Is it me, or do I need to find another forum?’ is closed to new replies.