Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is anyone lighting their house with LED's yet?
  • mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I'm willing to look beyond the DIY shops for the best stuff, but I'm still not sure about the light output from LED standard bulbs and downlighters etc.

Has anyone here comprehensively lit their house yet with LED's?

Rocketdog36
    Free Member

Waste of cash at the moment
    bulbs too expensive and contry to popular belief they light quality deteriorates over time.
    There not quite there yet

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Got some in son's bedroom. They are rubbish

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes but my house[boat] is entirely 12 volt bit yellow not very bright but better than the alternatives

dickydutch

Inside of my landrover is an LED only zone! Brilliant for that purpose.

coffeeking
    Free Member

LEDs should only really deteriorate over time if they're pushed beyond their ideal operating range (i.e. if the manufacturer is pushing the envelope on it's specs). LEDs not used at the very end of their tether tend to last for decades at the same brightness. Either way, they can't currently compete on running costs or buying costs. I'd not bother, but for the ability to fade/colour mix etc if I wanted.

thomthumb
    Free Member

did the old office in them – rubbish. only the FD liked them!!

oldgit
    Free Member

Not the full house but I'm working my way through, even at trade your looking at £16 a lamp.
    Put some 3W ones in the kitchen and they were a bit dull, though no has noticed.
    Put 5W warm white ones in the hall stairs and landing and they are superb.
    I'm fitting them into GU10/240V Fire rated. As the initial batch that were 12V played up a fair bit, they don't like some transformers.
    But yes 5W warm white not cool white are great. The newer 6/7W are out now and are the same size as the standard LED GU10 replacements.

oldgit
    Free Member

Before I put anymore in I'm replacing kitchen under cupboard lighting with them. They're very slim and water proof. Also the light output is constant with tube each length is a different wattage.

The cheap LEDs are ideal for outside use in lanterns or sofits.

Edit; That is I'm replacing them with LED strips not downlights.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Hi Oldgit.

"5W warm white ones in the hall stairs and landing and they are superb"..

What brand have you been using on the 5/6/7W GU10?

montylikesbeer

Ultra LED clicky

I use this lot above for lighting inside lifts I look after, they source from China with technology at least 18 months ahead of the large companies.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah mine are coming over from China.
    Otherwise Deltech 5W are great and they're L1a compliant as well.
    I've not fitted any 6/7W ones as the 5Ws are good enough.

Philips do a 6/7W called the Master but it's massive so can only go in a dedicated Low Energy fitting and they cost £36+ each. The new Chinese ones are far better.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I use them in the kitchen happily, see my thread on the topic for details.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I had a knobber come in and spend an entire day poking round my place on the basis of being him being able to get me an interest-free loan to pay for replacing all the lights with LEDs and then saving more than the cost of the loan in electricity. Couldn't make the numbers work at all and then sent me through the worst quote I've ever seen. Didn't seem to be able to get his head around the fact that I might not want to replace all my expensive fittings with his ugly boxes. Complete idiot!

I'm sure they're fine though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is anyone lighting their house with LED's yet?’ is closed to new replies.