Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • iphone 4 -v- galaxy s -v- desire hd
  • the_lecht_rocks

Bought the desire hd

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Is the Desire HD out now or have you pre ordered it?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My GF has had iphone 4 without bumper for 2 weeks now.

Sure it has a great interface and she has an app for everything…
    I’m interested in the cycling computer apps myself.

Her signal does drop and she is now admitting it, normal calls have dropped a few times. Where I am left miffed.
    I’ve been using my mobile for 3G, internet and skype to her PC without a single prob. Skype has been a pain in the rear with her mobile.

She blamed network and now she believes her blackberry had better reception but was fiddly to use. She loves her iphone but as a phone and heavy 3g user its faulty.

I would only get it for the facetime app so we can keep in contact abroad etc but I want a phone first and her signal probs have put me off.

Keep nagging at her to get the **** bumper. And I’m probably getting something else.

If apple fixed the **** prob, the iphone 4 would have been brilliant and outsold HTC easily.

Well done apple for another piece of 5hit. Any iphone 4 users without a prob I envy you.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

[/quote]Is the Desire HD out now or have you pre ordered it?

Well it could have been P4U as apparently they were the only sketchy sales robots (I mean people) to have 1st stock of them. – Even though he had 1 left of which someone had already put a deposit down for it.

Trying to prompt me into travelling to come and buy it on a £40pm+ tariff.

What ever happened to rewarding customer’s for renewing their contract and upgrading their phone through them let alone listening to their bulls#it.

The 3 of the sales tactical tw#nts in the shop didn’t even know what a Amoled screen was and that if the Hd desire would have it, Let alone what battery time was like for the standard desire!

Would be nice to know where the antenna is on the HD desire as on my 5800, it’s on the bottom of the handset so I have to talk upside down.

MEH!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

onceinalifetime – you won’t find genius in sales staff on minimum wage and lack of training-give the peeps a break!

I suggest you go for the managers leg… 😆

IA

Would be nice to know where the antenna is on the HD desire as on my 5800, it’s on the bottom of the handset so I have to talk upside down.

Eh? that makes no sense?

Anyhow, it’s on the bottom of nearly every phone so they can meet regulations about radiated power into your head. Being a bit further away from your head makes a big difference.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Eh? that makes no sense?

Anyhow, it’s on the bottom of nearly every phone so they can meet regulations about radiated power into your head. Being a bit further away from your head makes a big difference.

Hows that not make sense!?

Right but only 3″ extra away from your head. WTF so not much difference then.

bit bitey my comment there but there you have it. 😛

IA

Why does the antenna being at the bottom mean you need to talk upside down, that makes no sense.

4″ or so compared to 1″ say makes a big difference. Power drops with the square of the distance, so it’s not 1/4 the power into your head, it’s a 16th.

GrahamS

Keep nagging at her to get the **** bumper. And I’m probably getting something else.
    If apple fixed the **** prob, the iphone 4 would have been brilliant and outsold HTC easily.

No problem with it here, even if I deliberately bridge the antennas and squeeze. I suspect they quietly fixed it in later builds. Apple did/do offer free bumpers or a choice of free third-party cases to every iPhone 4 owner – maybe she should get one??

the_lecht_rocks

phones for you – got a great deal.

just getting to grips with it – it seems excellent so far and the screen is LUSH 🙂

Cougar

Got my crappy Galaxy replaced this week with a Desire (non-HD). Very impressed so far.

I can’t be bothered responding to a lot of the nonsense in here, but to those saying “the iPhone is the best, end of” I’d say, get over yourselves.

The iPhone is a good phone, no question. It’s also responsible for a lot of other manufacturers stepping up to the plate, and for that I applaud it also. But is it the best phone ever? The answer to that question is a big fat “it depends.”

Cougar

Oh – re: screen size vs resolution, I have reasonable eyesight, I’ll take the highest resolution screen you’ve got in the smallest form factor you can muster, thanks.

IA

Res vs. form factor is an interesting one one, rather than mentioning screen size.

E.g. my X10 has a 4″ screen, noticeable bigger than an iphones 3.5″. Yet the phone itself is nearly exactly the same size (couple mm longer, close enough to fit in the same cases etc).

I think when you’re dealing with touch screens size matters for usability. It’s easier to reach all of a 3.5 screen with one hand, less so with a 4″ one.

Curly68
    Free Member

I have just upgraded today to a Desire. O2 wanted £59 for it so went to Carphone Warehouse and got it for free on the same tariff I was on previously!
    Had a play and seems really easy to use. Only downloaded two apps so far, talking tomcat and google starmaps.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

The Lecht Rocks – go on then, how much? 😉

damo2576
    Free Member

I have an HTC Desire and love it, my wife has an iPhone 4 and loves it.

The iPhone is defo slicker etc and nicely intergrated, you can do far more on the HTC though and if you’re at all techy and want to install your own custom roms etc then HTC is way to go.

jacko54321
    Free Member

whats the differece in battery life?

damo2576
    Free Member

whats the differece in battery life?

I’d prob have to give the iPhone the edge here – but with both phones for any reasonable usage you’d be charging every night. Both have plenty for a days good use.

On Android there’s a lot of tools you can get to help re batt life and some roms are better than others. Not sure about iPhone.

iolo
    Free Member

I got an iphone 4 3 weeks ago as my 3G died in my pocket when I got caught in some serious rain.I loved the 3G – a fantastic phone and I never had a problem with it.
    The iphone 4 is the worst thing I’ve ever had.
    I don’t think I’ve had a single call not dropped (if I can get signal at all).
    I’ve just bought a bumper for it but really can’t see why we have to do this.I would like a phone to actually make calls without having to buy a flippin cover.
    There is an obvious problem with this phone! I am an apple fan but really should have just got a 3GS.
    Until this reception problem has been resolved I would suggest you steer clear!

the_lecht_rocks

used it all day yesterday and last night and it needed a charge.
    the internet via wi-fi is incredibly fast.
    intyegrated social apps are brilliant.
    but why didn’t they use a standard micro-usb for charging / interfacing ????????????

higgo
    Free Member

What’s the SatNav like on the iPhone4?

Tom Tom, CoPilot, Navmii, GPS Drive, skobbler, Nav free, waze…

Are they free?
    (I guess ‘Nav Free’ is.)

Evilsea

Got the Galaxy S and really like the phone over the Iphone. Android is very good and the music sound is brilliant(for a phone). The major issue is that if you are running Windows7 64 then you may have trouble getting the Kies software to recognise the phone. No one seems to be working on the problem and we have the usual situation of vendor blaming OS and OS blaming vendor. Where o where is the harmony lol

damo2576
    Free Member

but why didn’t they use a standard micro-usb for charging / interfacing ????????????

Are you talking about the Desire? That is a micro usb – that is the standard now!

GrahamS

I’ve just bought a bumper for it but really can’t see why we have to do this

You don’t. You get it free from Apple.
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/case-program/

What’s your reception like in your area?
    Borderline 3G is worse (for all phones) than decent GPRS. If you are on the edge of a 3G zone then just turn off 3G.

Are they free?

Skobbler and NavFree are free – based on OpenStreetMap data.
    Waze is free – good for traffic info but relatively new to the UK and needs more users before the map gets usable.

TomTom et al are around £20.

iolo
    Free Member

Having to turn off 3g is just a faff you shouldn’t expect with a top end phone.
    I do a lot of mileage with work and the phone’s as bad in good 3g signal as it is in gprs areas.
    I never had a problem with my previous iphone.
    You have to face the fact that the iphone 4 is not a good phone – end of.
    The other toys on it are nice but it should at least make and answer calls without constantly being cut off. Absolute bloody rubbish.
    I would not recommend it to anyone.

GrahamS

iolo: sorry but various independent reviews performed during “antennagate” show the reception on the iPhone 4 is considerably better than on the 3G, which fits with my experience of a 3G, two 3GS and a 4. That was the whole point of putting on a large external antenna.

Just a thought, have you had any carrier updates through iTunes? These can sometimes improve things.

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve done all updates.
    My previous iphone had full signal at home.
    I have to keep this pile of crap on the window sill to get any signal at all!
    Seriously, I am not an apple hater (hence the reason I upgraded to an iphone 4) but its really no good in its current state.
    Don’t bother until this gets resolved.

GrahamS

Have you had “carrier updates” tho? i.e. NOT iOS updates, like these:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1970

If you have and it is still crap then I’d take it in and see what they say. The antennagate issue only affects reception on some handsets, when you hold them in a certain way. On a windowsill or sitting anywhere else your reception should be better than a 3G.

(I’m on O2 v8.0 by the way)

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve done that.
    I might just have a dodgy one but I’m not impressed.
    Really wish I hadn’t bothered now.

GrahamS

Take it into Apple then.

I took in a 3GS after it got screwed up by an update.
    One month out of warranty and they still just gave me a new one on the spot.

Cougar

Is it actually a bad signal, or just showing a bad signal?

I’m no iPhone expert, but my understanding was that at least in part the signal meter was showing poor signal when it was actually fine.

the_lecht_rocks

locations and google maps on the desire hd are just brilliant.
    also the camera is exceptional too…………
    it’s not the build quality of he iphone but the interface, the apps and the open architecture are great……
    HTC get’s my recommendation !

GrahamS

I’m no iPhone expert, but my understanding was that at least in part the signal meter was showing poor signal when it was actually fine.

The “antennagate” software thing was actually the opposite. The original software showed a good signal when it was actually quite weak – so even a small drop in reception, caused by bridging the antennas, looked like it had a huge effect when you were already in a poor area.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

So t_l_r, – what phone did you come from?
    What was the deal u got from p4u?

Is the HTC showing any bugs already?

thanks.

the_lecht_rocks

no bugs – 1st smartphone………….it’s great 🙂

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Yes but how much was the tariff? ? ?

the_lecht_rocks

18 months @ 35 quid. unlimited text and internet. 300 mins phone – easy.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Wowsers! – you got an ok deal there. 😉

Although I’m sure you could of saved £5 pm if you opted for a 24month.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks – Member
    18 months @ 35 quid. unlimited text and internet. 300 mins phone – easy

What network?

the_lecht_rocks

yeah i could but thats more expensive over the term innit,

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘iphone 4 -v- galaxy s -v- desire hd’ is closed to new replies.