Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • iPad 4 what's different
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

It appears I’ve missed something here.

There is another new iPad, not the mini, but a 4th gen.

What is the difference between that and the 3. I’m thinking of getting a new one as currently have the one.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Faster processor, new Lightning cable like the iP5, AFAIK

johndoh
    Free Member

Quicker WiFi too isn’t it?

FuzzyWuzzy

+ better resolution front facing camera and 4G rather than 3G option

I wonder what idiot insisted on calling the gen 3 one the “New iPad” to and why having confused everyone with that why this isn’t the “New New iPad”…

Also the gen 3 is getting discontinued (they’ll still sell the iPad 2 as a lower cost option) so you won’t have the option of gen 3 for much longer (from Apple anyway).

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Apple new fine well they’d be releasing an update no that long after releasing the ‘new iPad’. Going straight from iPad 3 to iPad 4 in 6 months would seem bad, but having a refresh on the ‘new iPad’ doesnt seem as bad.

GrahamS

Partly that – but also dropping the numbers makes some sense in terms of it just being an established product.

I’m not using an iMac 9, a Hoover 78, or a PC 10,000,074.

Does make it a bit of pain to discuss though!

jfletch
    Free Member

It really is just a b spec version of the same thing. A version 3.1 in computer software lingo.

Dropping the 1,2,3 lingo really does make a lot of sense. In the end it means you won’t feel agrived if you have an iPad 7 when the iPad 8 is released. You will still just have an iPad and Apple are more free to continually improve the spec without risking peeing a load of people off.

Its only bad this time as people are still wedded to the past. However when the 14th version of the iPad gets replaced by the 15th people will be oblivous.

Also I don’t get why people are irate about this. If you are about to buy an iPad then whoop whoop you get a faster processor for the same price you would have paid for a slower one. If you already have the iPad with the retina display and the A5X processor you still have the same thing you originally paid for and it is in no way any less capable just because Apple have updated the spec of the new one.

toby1

Although this is about the iPhone 5 I feel it sums up the philosophy

Register on iphone 5

I say that as a new iPad (nownotsonewv3) owner. I feel no need to upgrade though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I don’t think you can criticise Apple for constantly updating, this is a feature of technology innovating and improving to stay ahead. The 4G and cable compatibility with iPhone5 makes sense. I have an iPad1, the new screens are even better and the newer devices lighter but I feel no need to upgrade.

New iPad 4 (or “iPad with Retina Display” as it will be known) costs the same as the 3 which is being phased out

Thanks for posting the links, interesting reading.

milky1980
    Free Member

Apple make their money by selling new IPads so you have to re-buy all your apps, get new accessories and generally keep up!! Do the sensible thing and wait until your current one no longer does what you require it to, then upgrade.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@milky1980 – do you have to rebuy Apps ? You certainly don;t with phone upgrades and when I buy an app for my phone or ipad it works with the other device without having to pay twice. In fact when we buy an app for one iphone it works with the others in the household – zero extra cost. Pretty generous I’d say.

CountZero

Also I don’t get why people are irate about this. If you are about to buy an iPad then whoop whoop you get a faster processor for the same price you would have paid for a slower one. If you already have the iPad with the retina display and the A5X processor you still have the same thing you originally paid for and it is in no way any less capable just because Apple have updated the spec of the new one.

Well said that man! I upgrade my phone every couple of years, but my Pad (v3) will last me years, I have no plans to replace it.
    I will get a Mini at some point; far easier to read OS maps and books on the bigger screen, and it’ll fit in a jacket pocket.
    Milky, you do not have to rebut any apps, either for the pads or the phones. I have phone apps on my pad, they’re not full screen, but they work fine. Any apps that you’ve bought in the past and deleted are still in the ‘Purchased’ section of the App Store and can be re-installed at any time. I did it myself today, as an update to iGeology recommended deleting the old version first.

GrahamS

Apple make their money by selling new IPads so you have to re-buy all your apps

Erm.. why would you need to rebuy apps? You don’t even need to buy apps multiple times if you have more than one ios device. Same apps work on my mrs iPhone, mine and the iPad.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As an aside I believe Apple said they have sold 100 million iPads, that’s just incredible. One Hundred Million devices in a sector that didn’t really exist till they launched the first device 3 years ago.

hammerite
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting an iPad this week. If I buy online from somewhere other than the Apple shop how do I know whether I’m getting the 4th gen iPad and not the 3rd gen iPad?

I’m guessing lots of stores have stock of 3rd gen that they’ll be wanting to clear those out before selling the 4th gen (Tesco have them reduced at the moment).

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

how do I know whether I’m getting the 4th gen iPad and not the 3rd gen iPad?

Most obvious outward sign would be the dock connector. iPad3 = larger 30 pin connector. iPad4 = smaller lightning connector. Personally i would only buy from either Apple or from John Lewis (2 year guarantee *) as I doubt there are any savings to be made shopping around for and iPad4 at the moment.

* I know it’s supposed to be 2 years everywhere but as John Lewis offers this up front and others don’t it might be one less thing to argue the toss about should you need to return a device in 18 months time.

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks MW – I’m aware of the dock connector difference, I suppose I worded the question wrongly. Once I get the iPad I’ll know, but if I buy online how do I know which one they’ll send me?

Shopping about is a bit pointless for the cost saving on the iPad itself. But was looking at buying online through Top Cashback with maybe Tesco or Sainsbury’s and also getting the points on the clubcard/Nectar (although I never know what happens to the points, that’s the OHs dept).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lightening conductor and the new A6 chip should be the most obvious signs. I suspect if it’s available for immediate delivery it’s an iPad3 rather than an “iPad with Retina Display”. I just had a look on tesco.com and the iPad’s described as “new” were the 3’s – chip shown was A5

I’d second the John Lewis / Apple store only recommendation.

FWIW the local Apple store sells out each delivery very quickly (within a day or two) so they don’t tend to have old stock. Not sure about someone like Tesco’s.

hammerite
    Free Member

I’ll take a wander to the Apple shop now and see what they can do for later int he week when they’re released.

TBH I’m not bothered about getting the very latest, but as I was planning to buy one I may as well wait a couple of days.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘iPad 4 what's different’ is closed to new replies.