Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Insurance for modified cars?
  • dooge
    Free Member

Hey all,

recently bought a Bora Sport Tdi from a dealer. Ive been very very happy with the car but its been modified by the previous owner. Audi RS6 replica alloys wheels, debadged grill and tinted windows. The tints are going as they are put on shoddily, but the wheels and grill are staying and Im also looking at lowering it slightly (35mm) in the future. No engine modifications or anything extreme. Now, cheapest Ive found was my insurer from the previous car, Directline.

Unfortunately, they do not cover modifications at all, so technically Im driving around illegally at the moment.

Does anyone have any recommendations for insurers that will insure a slightly modified car pretty cheaply?

Doug

Militant_biker

Adrian Flux

These people insure my Dad’s 6×6, and I’m pretty sure a friend has his modded RS4 with them.

(edited for broken link)

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Brentacre or Flux.

sam_underhill

Chris Knott for me. They seemed to understand modifications rather than just pick stuff from a list.

davidrussell
    Free Member

modded RS4? sounds ace – details?

Also try Sky insurance, ive had quotes from them before.

NZCol

Not much use but i’ve recently remapped my RS4 and put a miltek exhaust on it. Insurers were not bothered about either which was surprising.

Militant_biker

modded RS4? sounds ace – details?

IIRC he’s got an older RS4 twin turbo 3.6(?) V6 at about 480bhp. A bit lower than standard, and a load of work done to the anti-roll bars. Something like gearbox stabilising linkages in there as well. It’s scary, scary fast, and has a crazy amount of grip.

Just about the only people I could find to insure my chipped 4×4 pick-up at something approaching reasonable was Adrian Flux.

NFU refused to quote (before I even mentioned the chip), because I’d fitted a hardtop (6 clamps) myself, rather than have a garage do it.

They don’t want your business at the moment mate.

davidrussell
    Free Member

i’d love an RS4 but i think the insurance renewal on my clio will be enough to make the rs4 a pipedream for a lonnnng time. insurers are taking the piss at the moment imo

TheFlyingOx

Sky, Elephant and Adrian Flux seem to take it in turns to be cheapest for me. Sky didn’t even increase my premium when I told them about bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, sports exhaust etc.

dooge
    Free Member

Thanks gents, Ill have a look around. I want to do it sooner rather than later but as it is Im paying £700 a year on a standard car! The other place that quoted near reasonable prices was Swiftcover, anyone got any experience with them?

That’s nowt – I’m paying £1400 and I’m thirty bloody nine years old 😯

(’tis business use as well though)

coffeeking
    Free Member

All the usual modded insurers seem happy to quote at sensible levels, sky, AF, a few others. Problem is no one is doing CHEAP rates at the moment. I was paying 500ish for an agreed value policy on a car with major functional mods when I was 25 at uni 4 years ago, recent quotes of 650 on the same car aged 29.

johnners
    Free Member

so technically Im driving around illegally at the moment

Clearer?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Insurance for modified cars?’ is closed to new replies.