Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Installing Disc Brakes onto a 2000 Trek Frame
  • tallie
    Free Member

Has anyone successfully done this?

I’m trying to put a Shimano M575 Rear Disc Brake on a 2000 Trek 6500 WSD frame. The frame has 2 22mm spaced holes in the top of the chainstay which I believe is an old Avid standard.

I’ve spoken to my LBS who’ve ordered an adapter but although I stated the age of the frame I didn’t specify the 22mm spacing so slightly concerned they’ve ordered a newer “disco-tech” type mount – they’re closed for the BH so I can’t confirm until Tues.

A quick google doesn’t seem to show an OEM mount; anyone know if such a beast exists?

There is this available from Canada:

http://www.torontocycles.com/images/b_s_Adapter_rear.jpg

Unfortunately it may not be compatible without modification; anyone know if there’s anything similar available in this country or better still an OEM mount? I came across an old MTBR thread which talked of a Hope 22mm to IS mount although I’m not sure how useful this would be?

Here’s a picture of the Canadian adapter installed:

http://www.torontocycles.com/images/2000_Trek_8500_LT.JPG

Any help gratefully received…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve fitted old hope brakes to these mounts many years ago. Think they also used Hayes as standard back in the day. Retrobike might be a useful resource for this one. Not seen any modern stuff for it though.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

If you run into problems, a second hand Magura HS 33 is a much better option than leaving it with v-brakes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

This Q comes up now and again, that’s the first solution I’ve seen.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I bought one of the hayes adapters from Toronto cycles for my 2001 Klein.

The only thing is it’s a bit heavy but seems to work well.

I’ll be riding in Epping next weekend on it so will have a better idea of how it performs but on a 15mile road trip it was fine.

tallie
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses everyone.

The consensus appears to be that the Toronto Cycles adaptor is the only viable solution – I’ll order one and see how I get on…

Eyerideit – I’ll be interested to hear how the adaptor holds up next weekend?

clubber
    Free Member

you can get a hope c2 that’ll mount directly. that’s what I have on my Klein mantra.

there are also a2z adaptors.

http://www.a2zcomponents.com/02products_04adapter_05.html the PMR one

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mobile/a2z-adaptor-parallel-to-is-ad-pmr-prod25313/

eyerideit
    Free Member

Tallie – I’ll let you know how I get on next week.

I did quite a bit of research when I was sourcing my brake etc and the Toronto seemed the best solution. The a2z adapters can be quite tricky to fit especially if the frame is a small as there’s not enough space in between the seat and chain stays.

Also you might have to run a 140mm disc to compensate for the lack of the clearance.

njee20
    Free Member

Shimano do an adapter like the A2Z one, I had one for my 9.8 hardtail, but never tried it. Certainly looked like it would foul the seat stays, the Toronto Cycles one looks far better.

tallie
    Free Member

Again thanks for the help all.

Have I read the A2Z site correctly – that seems to suggest that I’d need to increase my rotor size by 20 mm to 180 if I’m going to fit this adaptor? That’s not a drama as I’m fairly sure I’ve got a spare 180mm rotor knocking about somewhere.

Eyerideit – do you konw what the clearence issues are – presumably it’s space to fit the IS – Post adaptor bolts (I’ll need a further adaptor as the M575 is a post mount…) without fouling the seatstay? The frame’s a XS WSD so if there are size related issues I expect I’ll encounter them…

Gribs

I tried a general a2z adaptor on my old medium Trek 7500 and it didn’t work. In the end I used an adaptor (probably Hope) to convert it to the hayes standard and a Hope c2 caliper with a 165mm disc.

nuke

The a2z adapters can be quite tricky to fit especially if the frame is a small as there’s not enough space in between the seat and chain stays.

This is why I’ve never gone and tried the A2Z…my Klein is a small and I just couldn’t see how the space between chainstay and seatstay would be large enough to fit the caliper in. Been waiting for a solution for ages and that Toronto Cycles one looks like the solution I’ve been looking for. Going to go ahead and order one 😀

Anyone know what bolt spec for mounting the adapter to the 22mm brake mount on the frame?

carlosg
    Free Member

Chances are there won’t be space(for the caliper) to up the rotor size to 180mm using one of the A2Z adaptors.

I used one for a mate on an old Klein Attitude with the 22mm spacing on the chainstay, ended up having to use a 140mm caliper with a 160mm rotor.There wasn’t room to fit a bigger rotor due to lack of space between the rear stays for the caliper.

EDIT: Oh and you need to use loads of washers between the adaptor and caliper to get the spacing right. I ended up filing down some of the fat washers you get on v-brake pads (to adjust toe in)

carlosg
    Free Member

this one , you can see the lack of space.

tallie
    Free Member

http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/trek-8000-hayes-22mm-mount-190560.html

This thread on MTBR comes to the same conclusion as eyerideit and Gribs etc ie the A2Z mount doesn’t work and the Toronto Cycles (TC) Adaptor is the only way to go if you want to mount modern brakes. There are various work arounds suggested using older Hayes and Hopes or even a front IS mounted brake.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/trek-9-8-elite-disc-capable-need-help-593013.html

This thread is very similiar although there is some suggestion that the TC Adaptor flexes a bit – hoping this has been fixed by the revised design referred to on the TC front page…

Eyerideit – assume you haven’t encountered any flexing or judder with your mount?

eyerideit
    Free Member

nuke – Member
    The a2z adapters can be quite tricky to fit especially if the frame is a small as there’s not enough space in between the seat and chain stays.

This is why I’ve never gone and tried the A2Z…my Klein is a small and I just couldn’t see how the space between chainstay and seatstay would be large enough to fit the caliper in. Been waiting for a solution for ages and that Toronto Cycles one looks like the solution I’ve been looking for. Going to go ahead and order one

Anyone know what bolt spec for mounting the adapter to the 22mm brake mount on the frame?

You can get a Ti mounting kit from Toronto cycles as well.

Tallle – So far no, there was bit of a vibration coming form the rear but that was because the mount was ever so slightly touching the disc. But I took it to a LBS to have the hoses shortened (as I’m new to discs) and they realigned the mount for me. Since then there was no rubbing or juddering.

But as I said it will have it’s first proper outing next Sat so I’ll report back.

I’ll also post up a pic of it in a bit.

naffa
    Free Member

Just thought I’d but in here cause I’m using an A2Z adaptor without any real issues on an old Saracen frame.
    The only small problem is that to begin with while using a 160mm disc it was rubbing slightly on the chain stay.

tallie
    Free Member

naffa – Member

Just thought I’d but in here cause I’m using an A2Z adaptor without any real issues on an old Saracen frame.

I think that adapter requires a flat dropout which my frame doesn’t have – although I might try it if the TC one doesn’t work.

Do you have to remove the adaptor to take the back wheel out?

clubber
    Free Member

I have the same adaptor on my cx bike. those dropouts aren’t flat so it needed a fair bit of filing to work properly but it work perfectly.

you have to remove the skewer to take the wheel out. the adaptor stays in place.

naffa
    Free Member

As clubber says only need to remove the qr to get the wheel away.

I have this for sale but it’d need you to braze/weld to your frame.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Clubbier, I saw your post on the cx great he other day and the A2Z you’ve got looks quite good. So good I fact I was going to buy one but then I read they will not work with vertcle dropouts and mine a rear facing.

But it might work for Tallie, depending on his dropouts direction.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m more clubbier than you 🙂

it would work with rear facing dropouts but you’d have to undo the adaptor to remove the wheel

filks

I tried the a2z adapter in an 18 inch 2000 6500 and it didn’t fit at all. Then bought the Toronto cycles one and it fitted OK with a tiny bit of filing. Everything mounted up well and fitted nicely with a 160mm rotor; it not only flexed but actually bent under braking force making it more than useless. I commuted to work on it twice for this to happen, it never saw any significant braking force! For what it’s worth the brakes were 2008 formula oro k18s.

I’d get the Magura HS33s. I’d invested in the brakes as my first foray into discs – I bought a new frame within a week of fitting the adapter……

clubber
    Free Member

I’d get the hope c2 since mine works perfectly…

tallie
    Free Member

I’ve e-mailed the chap that makes the TC adapter (Seth Clayton of B and S Fabrication email – nanoseth@yahoo.com) some photos of my rear triangle and he’s replied stating that he thinks his adapter will fit the bike.

On that basis I’ve ordered one from TC – their website says that they’ve been strengthened since the first batch so hopefully this, combined with the fact that this is for the wife’s bike and she’s under 55Kg, should mean it doesn’t flex…

If that doesn’t work I may just put V brakes back on – I’m not sure my wife’s that bothered but putting my old brakes on her bike was part of the justification for my recent XT purchase…

eyerideit
    Free Member

Sorry cCubber, I gave you an i you didn’t need. Can you post a link fr the hope c2 mount plead.

Filks: how long ago did you try the adapter? I got mine last year and it’s one of the newer stiffer ones, so hopefully it won’t suffer the same fate.

filks

eyerideit – got mine last september so was one of the allegedly stiffer ones. I’m a biffer so that may have influenced the flex…

eyerideit
    Free Member

Cheers Filks, I’m about 70kg so hopefully it will be fine for me.

tallie
    Free Member

Eyerideit – did you ride this weekend?

If so how did your adapter hold up?

tallie
    Free Member

Just an update for those that may come across this thread in the future.

I received and fitted the adapter and it sort of works…

There is a lot of flex which produces an unpleasant schreech when braking but it has held up for a couple of rides on the South Downs.

I don’t have a great deal of confidence in this as a long term solution and wouldn’t recommend it to others – I’m now looking to buy a new frame.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Installing Disc Brakes onto a 2000 Trek Frame’ is closed to new replies.