Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • In Praise of Surly Bud's
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Is this the ultimate front XC ‘winter’ tyre?*

I think’s so

Just replaced a Ground Control and it’s night & day difference.

Grip levels are back to normal (ie loads. The GC’s broke down soon as the mud came)

Zero self steer (again GC’s were fighting with the bars)

And don’t they roll. The tread pattern is in strips, so on tarmac and just rolling along you’re sort of on the centre and one each side rows of knobs

Much quieter too

Brilliant

Thanks for the recommendations all (FRC etc) 🙂

XC, leafy, woodsy, techy rooty, chewed up bridle pathy, muddy – sloppy/claggy…

Gotama
    Free Member

Yep, stuck one on my Jones to replace a floater. Huge difference. Now if only they’d make them with a spangly schwalbe style carcass to shed some of the huge weight 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

This is a fat tyre yeah?

Anyone handled a Schwalbe yet?

akira

Jumbo Jim’s not in anywhere yet, city considering a Bud/Jim combo on the Fatty.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Jumbo J’s are a summer XC tyre

rOcKeTdOg

Better than nates? Ok on a 70mm rim?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I was skeptical at first, how could a heavier, bigger tyre be an improvement in all respects over a Nate?

I’ve put my Bud on a 65mm rim now, rounds out the tyre a it more, and cornering is a bit more responsive. I also have on the ‘cornering’ orientation, which seems to male a difference!

bedmaker

Exactly what I’ve been saying for ages, I use Bud both ends for good rolling, huge grip and cushy volume.
    The weight isn’t really an issue, it keeps you rolling like a lovely big squishy flywheel 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ Got to agree – weight is easily offset by good rolling

Mounted mine on ‘cornering’ direction – frc tried it on momentum mode?

cozz
    Free Member

my bud is lighter than my old 120tpi nate actually

they are officially awesome

and cheaper now, when I bought mine they weren’t out yet in the UK, so it cost me £140 from the US

peanut
    Free Member

Keep mine on momentum direction as I figure there is already enough traction.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I’ve tried it on momentum mode, definitely rolls better. I put it cornering by mistake , but I’ve decided to leave it there 🙂

Yeah my bud and Nate weigh about the same, probably because the Nate has a wire bead.

MadBillMcMad

Bud front,
    Nate rear,
    Both 120TPI on my OO Fatty with carbon fork

Awesome.

MadBillMcMad

errrr – what is ‘cornering’ orientation – I could decide which way so just slapped mine on.

& while I am on the subject which way should the Nate be mounted for ‘traction’ orientation ?

bonesetter
    Free Member

MadBillMcMad – Member
    errrr – what is ‘cornering’ orientation – I could decide which way so just slapped mine on.

I think if you just slapped your £90 tyre on, you shouldn’t be worried about orientation

singlespeedstu

^^^
    You recon you could tell which way round the tyre was if it was dark and you didn’t know which way it was fitted…

Lester
    Free Member

bud on the front of my bear grease and Dillinger on the rear
    bud set for cornering and Dillinger for traction.
    first ride tomorrow, expecting it to be better than awesome 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

^^^
    You recon you could tell which way round the tyre was if it was dark and you didn’t know which way it was fitted…

I’d say almost definitely not 🙂

letmetalktomark

Had been meaning to for a while but this thread has pushed me into it ….. I’ve now ordered a Bud 😳 😆

I’ve also had to admit that whilst my Schwalbe DH tubes have been really good with my Nates I feel the additional volume of teh Bud would have been too much for them. So I’ve also bought a small variety of tubes to try; Surly Toob, Surly Ultralite tube and a Vee rubber one.

Tubes were over half the cost of the Bud 😳

I hope its all worth it 😆

wwaswas

I’ve stuck with the 3″ Schwalbe ‘freeride’ tubes I had in the Floaters when switching to a Bud. I’ve not died yet.

Gotama
    Free Member

letmetalktomark – Unless you have a real fixation with tubes the Buds are really easy to set up tubeless. Mine went up quickly on a Darryl rim. Saves a fair chunk of weight as those surly tubes weigh a ton; literally!

wwaswas

the Buds are really easy to set up tubeless

Not with the On-One rims 🙁

letmetalktomark

Gotama – Member

letmetalktomark – Unless you have a real fixation with tubes the Buds are really easy to set up tubeless. Mine went up quickly on a Darryl rim. Saves a fair chunk of weight as those surly tubes weigh a ton; literally!

Hmm.

Mine will be going on a Marge Lite, although that shouldn’t make too much difference to the tubeless bit.

Out of interest how much sealant did you require?

Gotama
    Free Member

Not much more than I required with a purgatory 2bliss to be honest. From memory I put one full syringe in there. Think I used two wraps (side by side) of gorilla tape as per SSStu’s guidelines and it went up from that.

letmetalktomark

Silly question but ….. Gorilla tape?

Did you require a compressor?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

A Spesh 2.5/3″ tube is fine for 4.8″ tyres 😀

Will get around to tubeless on of these days!

Gotama
    Free Member

Like duck tape but stronger and sticker-er. Available from all good hardware stores. Great for tubeless stuff.

Yes. I would pay money to watch someone try and do a 5 inch fatbike tyre with a track pump 😀 Using Stu’s method: put tyre on, use tube to seat bead, take out tube carefully so you only unseat one side, put wheel on floor with the unseated side down and add air.

Gotama
    Free Member

FRC – How much did you spend on that spangly carbon rim and you’ve still got a tube in there 😯 😀

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

$250 for the rim – worth every penny!! Been meaning to go tubeless, but I’ve been injured for 7 months, just getting my first few rides in now :), so I’ve just not got round to it yet!

singlespeedstu

Mine will be going on a Marge Lite

Even simpler to toobless than the rolling d. 🙂

letmetalktomark

Thanks guys. Going to give it a bash if I can get my hands on a compressor.

Didn’t realise Gorilla was a brand 😳

So 48mm tape wrapped twice for a ML.

8oz of fluid?

Gotama
    Free Member

I put a full one of these in but not sure how much it takes…

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/stans-notubes-the-injector.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA4rujBRDD7IG_wOPytXkSJACTMkgamu6T18w-RYEmNfZrM8wa6VIHhpYblNpDHTe_c8inVBoC-qfw_wcB

You don’t need much sealant to seal the area around the bead so as long as there is enough sloshing around in there to do the job it should be fine.

If you can get to the sealant stage the job is essentially done.

singlespeedstu

2 wraps will do it with the 48mm tape.
    However I’ve just discovered that they do a 2.88inch wide version of the Gorilla Tape which would work even betterer as there’ll be no join in the middle.
    I have a pair of wheels that need redoing so I’m going to give it a try.

MadBillMcMad

Bud orientation.

OK so how do you determine ‘cornering orientation’ & what is the other direction called ?

As for slapping them on – well I looked, analysed, could only see a slight difference in ramping on the side blocks so set them so the vertical edges dug in.

singlespeedstu

It’s printed on the tyre. 8)

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Look closer 😉

MadBillMcMad

ahhhh,

That explains it.

I fitted the tyres late at night in excitement in a dimly lit garage.
    I did see that & wondered what it was on about !!!!!!!!!

slowboydickie

Did the Bud hold up well through the winter? I’m thinking about getting one.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘In Praise of Surly Bud's’ is closed to new replies.