Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • I'm going to buy a McLaren.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No, hold on, I mean I’m going to buy a Maclaren. 😉

Need something light and easy to transport to get Little Miss CFH on her sunny hols. Also needs to be comfy enough for snoozing during the day, and well shaded.

Was thinking of this one;

A Techno XT.

Anyone know anything about them? Any advice/tips/opinions?

scaredypants

Get the cheapest crap you can Flashy – we had a big ****-off pram system thing that lasted about 14 days (other than the car seat)
    Cheap folduppy buggy was way more use
    Unless you can get one with big wheels, they’re “all the same” as long as you have a sunshade

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said wont get much use and you need something compact that will roll on tarmac ie anything

brassneck

If you’re just talking a small foldable thing to throw in the car or take on a plane, a Quinney Zapp is well worth a look. You pay a bit of Yummy Mummy tax, but they resell well, fold easily and come with a decently rugged carry bag to pop it in for flights.

I had something similar to a Maclaren before, and frankly I’m surprised all my boys still have a full complement of fingers. Lynne Fouldes-Wood would have had a field day.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmm. Not sure about not getting much use, sadly, as she’ll be spending a fair whack of time flying/travelling in the coming years, not just on holidays, an much of it will be to rather hot places, mainly Hong Kong! We already have a “proper” big pram for everyday use, so just wanted something of similar quality for flying/travelling.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Yip – we’ve got one of those. Good bit of kit. The fact that you can lie the kid flat with their feet up and have the sunshade full over them is great

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*drunkenly falls into the thread*

Are these things ok for from 6 months-ish? We’re driving to Germany in the middle of June and I’m wondering if I could just go with one of these instead of the “system” we have at the moment.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DD, apparently OK from birth. Hope Mini-DD is still thriving, BTW!

ampthill

It depends what else you own and how old sprog is.

From birth we used something like the one in your picture but un branded

But from toddle onwards we used the really stripped back stroller. 2 position I think but other than that just a light bucket etc.

It partly depends on if you use public transport but my wife and I felt lightness was the priority. Particularly as you get to the point where the push chair is a back up to them walking

The nearest I can find is this

http://www.pramworld.co.uk/prams-and-pushchairs/pushchairs/maclaren-volo-carmine-rose

But ours had no roof or luggage bag. I think it

ampthill

Re reading this your first post would be a monster to fly with. You want really light and shape with a cheap sun shade, unless they are under 6 months

Edukator
    Free Member

We had a Maclaren like the one featured in your pic and one of the original Baby Joggers. The Baby Jogger was sold on for a good price in mint condition after a lot of pavement/off-road jogging. The Maclaren slowly fell to bits and went in the bin at about the point junior could walk to town.

jamj1974

Quinny Zapp. Folds up small, manoeuvrable and lighti’ish. Costco used to occasionally have them cheap a few years ago too!

duntstick
    Free Member

We bought a trendy expensive one, which was fine, but for ease and lightness, can’t beat a basic cheapo

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Quinny Zapp

Doesn’t appear to lie flat, so that’s out.

mefty
    Free Member

That’s the one we had, every new parent that we knew ended up buying a McLaren within 6 months of birth to use for travelling.

tinybits
    Free Member

Have a look at the baby jogger city, folds faster than the maclaren, good sleeping position for mini, and plenty if shade if needed. Really it’s been excellent in all ways (other than cost!)

tang
    Free Member

Have done loads of long haul with the mc’push. Will be fine! Push it right to the door of the plane and its waiting when you step off. Ours got some abuse all over Asia/Australia with our first two over a few years and never broke once!

ratherbeintobago

If you’re anywhere near Bradford, there is a Silver Cross factory outlet, where we got a Pop stroller cheap, and which has been fine.

Andy

geoffj

When they get to 6 months, the Maclaren Volo is the one you want. Until then, beg/steal/borrow what you can.

IIRC we ended up in double figures* for prams/pushchairs for junior 1 – trying to find the perfect ‘solution’.

Junior 2 had a volo.

*that did include the 2 the child minder drove over with her car 😯

MrNutt
    Free Member

our child transport is a Jane Trider with the Matrix lite childseat/carrycot/pram thing, its excellent and rare enough to be elitist & snobby towards owners of other tat

TiRed

Cheap pushchair/pram, expensive buggy. Buy the best you can afford. MacLaren R&D is worth the extra expense. Oh and it has Spitfire cred 8) . He designed them so that his daughter could hold the baby in one hand, and fold them up with a foot to get on a bus.

For everything except off-road, they are great.

My standard test for a new car was to insert the folded Maclaren into the boot lengthways. If the boot didn’t shut, move on.

popstar
    Free Member

We have Techno XT, it may be slightly bigger than stripped down versions but boy is it comfy. Full flat lying position with extended leg support worth a lot to us and our children. Full coverage of hood with vents is awesome too. It may be 1.5kg heavier than lightest thing but then that comes from bigger wheels and extra comfort futures. Our 1st outgrown it, now our 2nd inline to use it to full potencil. Yeah baby, no messin. Either go full fat or supermarket cheapo.

jam-bo

He designed them so that his daughter could hold the baby in one hand, and fold them up with a foot to get on a bus.

This works. Much prefer our techno XT to the big Jane buggy we had before. Offroad is shite but that’s rucksack territory anyway.

And ours was £50 from eBay. Not sure I’d pay full whack for one.

brakes
    Free Member

not sure what others have said but my boy has used one of those Techno XTs since about 9/10 months, he’s now 1 and has much more fun in it than his Bugaboo Gecko. it’s been around the houses before we got it but it still works perfectly. I actually think that as they wear they start to work better. age-old design that has been through many many more tweaks than your average Mamma & Pappa/ Phil & Ted/ Bugaboo mummy accessory. it is surprisingly not bad off the beaten track and on gravel too.

there’s a knack to folding it down, but a few kicks in the right places and it folds up easy enough.

juanking

Flashy, we bought that exact Maclaren for Missy King and we’re happy with it. We use that one for travelling, in/out of the car etc. We also have the iCandy (not sure which one) which has the basinet and pushchair which we use for jaunts leaving directly from home. No idea why but that’s what the gaffer wanted!

brakes
    Free Member

No idea why

keeping up with the Joneses?

juanking

Doubtful, but if it keeps her happy and all that.

hoodie
    Free Member

I’d try and get a used 2012 model…the 2013 design is slower everywhere.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

We have a Stokke Xplory for main pushchair duties but also we bought a Quicksmart Easifold as the small one for away duties , caravan etc and it folds up tiny
    About £90 from Argos but I’m not sure they still do it.
    Kiddicare may do it though

http://youtu.be/aqEfODWHh2g

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘I'm going to buy a McLaren.’ is closed to new replies.