Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • If you went for a moderately hilly ride…..
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

…..of say 25 miles, somewhere like the Quantocks, or the Chilterns, maybe the Peaks, how much climbing would you expect to do?
    Not a big mountain ride, just a normal hilly one.

(I'm trying to gauge the severity of a ride I'm leading soon)

Stoner
    Free Member

how much?

probably about the same as the amount of descending I reckon.
    😉

samuri
    Free Member

1000m

lowey

25 miles ?? I would say anything between 3.5 and 5k foot of ascent at the top end.

Totally dependant upon location though.

25 miles around the lakes would be far more severe that 25 miles of Rivington.

tinsy
    Free Member

Map it out PP, it will tell you how much in your chosen route.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

probably about the same as the amount of descending I reckon.

But what if you don't finish in the place you started! Could be more of one than the other. Didn't think of that did you? HaHaa! 😉

Yeah I was thinking 1000m would be about right. I've told everyone there's 'Not much climbing' and there's a lot less than that, so I was right….Phew!
    🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

The definition of a good pilot is one who has exactly the same number of landings as take-offs.

🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Map it out PP, it will tell you how much in your chosen route.

I did tell everyone there wasn't much climbing, and there's a wide mix of abilities coming along. I clocked it yesterday at 24.5 miles and 1550ft climbing, but it's only Aldershot, Hants.
    Some of the riders from futrher afield are used to more hills than that, but I'm after slow'n'social with some swoopy-sweet singletrack and I got that, and also some pretty steep technical bits to keep people on thier toes, and jumps if they want it. And a pub on the way back. And a nice view from the top. And cake.
    😀

Like I said: Social, not radical.
    🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

4000 ft quite easily

Nick

3000-6000ft, approximately

IdleJon

Jesus, you lot must live somewhere mountainous.

Living in South Wales, I rarely do a 25 mile ride that has 3000 – 6000 feet of climbing/descending. And if I took a mixed ability group out for that sort of ride, I would expect some of them to die at some point.

Sure I can do that sort of ride around here, but that is one hard ride for most riders.

BigDummy
    Free Member

the Quantocks, or the Chilterns, maybe the Peaks

I did tell everyone there wasn't much climbing

Are they daft, or are you just a really good liar? 😀

racing_ralph
    Free Member

52000 feet over the last 17 rides

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

the Quantocks, or the Chilterns, maybe the Peaks

I did tell everyone there wasn't much climbing

Are they daft, or are you just a really good liar?

I'm not taking them to any of those places, I just wanted a reference point, to make sure I wasn't lying 🙂

I was thinking 1000m+ would be on the tough side, and I've got just over half that, so that's spot on.

Some of the trails are a bit overgrown at the mo', though….. I've got a cordless hedgetrimmer I might get out with soon…..

jim
    Free Member

1000m in 25 miles doesn't sound like a huge amount to me, at least in the Peaks. This weekend me and t'other half did:

19km, 700m climbing
    29km, 1200m climbing

I guess it really depends on how quickly you're planning to ride on the climbs…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

1000m in 25 miles doesn't sound like a huge amount to me, at least in the Peaks. This weekend me and t'other half did:

I wasn't asking what a huge amount was! I asked for moderate.

Although I wish I'd never mentioned the Peaks. Forget I ever said that, OK?

🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I took a bunch of typical riders around Mendip last Thursday. It was 14miles and had 2200ft of climbing. The fitter riders were fine, the less fit were tired towards the end.

samuri
    Free Member

my normal hilly 30 mile sprint round rivington has 450m climbing in it which I reckon would cause lesser fit people some concern, but it'd still be doable.

RealMan
    Free Member

Attack

stumpyjon

I work on around 1000ft for every 10 miles around Calderdale / Rossendale as a rule of thumb.

montylikesbeer

I can go on a one hour "bimble" ride out of my back door for an hour or so, cover 6 miles and climb 1000 ft (just checked it on map my ride, fearns hall, waterfoot, cowpe round back to cowpe village, back to fearns hall)

Just depends what part of gods (or other non deity of your choice) good world you are

shortcut

I did a 22 mile ride with a group the other week. Some not that fit and out climbing was about 800m. It was fine, but slow. I would rate that as a hard but slow ride.

With a bunck of fitter folks I would expect a tough ride to be hitting between 1000 and 1500 metres of climbing at this time of year.

Where is the ride?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Shortcut – Ceasars Camp, Aldershot (Already mentioned Aldersot above) starting at my house, BBQ afterwards. It's on the THT forum…
    I've invited a bunch of other people I know as well. Looking at about 15-20 riders with a bit of luck

🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I agree with Stumpyjon, 1000ft/10 miles as a general rule, works in a lot of places.

cinnamon_girl

Pete – thanks awfully for trying to make sure this wuss rider doesn't get left behind 😀

For comparison, the recent Chilterns Forum Ride was 38.2km with 837 metres of ascent.

Am really looking forward to this 8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

CG – You're not the slowest. Not by any menas.
    🙂

Andy

Pete

500 metres of ascent isn't too bad! Yesterday we did 19kms and 1100 metes of ascent (and a certain ACantwell destroyed me, Knottie and Annabananna on the climbs 😯 ).

If you want any help doing a bit of trail prep, give me a shout!

Vortexracing

25 miles around the lakes would be far more severe that 25 miles of Rivington

Im glad you mentioned that Lowey, we did 20 miles on Friday around Grizedale with 1000m of climbing and i was knackered compared to either the Settle ride or the Howgills/Rivvy one.

i've been wondering why that was.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

24.5 miles and 1550ft climbing

I would say that is not much climbing. My local ride tends to be 30 odd miles and 2000 – 2500 ft of climb. When I went to the quantocks the climb / descent is what 500 ish foot each time and we did half a dozen in a day I think so rather more than 1500 ft of climb at a guess. Bein a ghlo circuit is 35 miles and 5000+ ft of climb

Depends what you are used to – of those example the Quantocks was most knackering as it was relentless – continual down and up with no time to meander along relaxing.

An awful lot depends on the terrain tho.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Andy, it's an odd ride in a way. Lots of it is very flat indeed, then we hoik up the escarpment and fly back down a few times on various trails, which can be pretty steep in places……
    It's a good jaunt. 🙂

I might nip out one evening this week to cut some braken back, but there's not much to do…..I'll be OK but thanks for the offer.
    🙂

I would say that is not much climbing

That's what I was hoping… I can easily do several other rides straight out of my door (As this one will be) and double that. Not bad for the flatlands of Hampshire. 😉

aleigh
    Free Member

500 metres of ascent isn't too bad! Yesterday we did 19kms and 1100 metes of ascent (and a certain ACantwell destroyed me, Knottie and Annabananna on the climbs

hehe………….well i've had great people to aspire to 😀

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yes, the Brechfa red does have a fair amount of climbing…

For reference PP, I think our Purbeck ride was about 30 miles and 1000m of climbing, so yours sounds great 🙂

shortcut

PP it almost certainly won't be a problem for everyone who is likely to punt up! No worries at all even for the slowies. Just keep the pace down and it will be absolutely fine. Tis an easy and NOT hilly ride. Not hilly at all really.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it. Going on hols the following day!

Relax, it will be fine – have done that sort of stuff on Super Saturday with no problems.

singletrackmind

The Dezmeister is searching for rides this weekend as I am on airshow duties , thus will be unavailble . I will however be taking a bike to ride to the pub on in the evening.
    As for climbing, never forget to reset your altimeter to the correct height above sea level. Avoids uneccessary dismemberment / embarresment.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘If you went for a moderately hilly ride…..’ is closed to new replies.