Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • If I lived in Aberdeen, where and on what?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Riding spots for some gnarr action and would my Mega be happy? Commute daily up to 10 miles with 2 or 3 15 mile plus offroad trips per week.

Sell me the city!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

my in-laws live there and there is tons to do found this bunch very helpful too

http://www.ecurieneep.co.uk/index.asp

RustyMac

The neeps are a good bunch, take a look at their site for an idea of what is arround. To keep your mega happy i’d have a look at Pitfichie and Bennachie.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

look at Pitfichie and Bennachie.

Isn’t PitFIKee on the side of BennaHee?

Kirkhill is alright for an afternoon’s muck about. Fochabers is surprisingly good an well worth the drive. Alpine bike we’re always most helpful when I lived up there. Got to bear in mind it’s pretty much the flattest bit of Scotland.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Got to bear in mind it’s pretty much the flattest bit of Scotland.

were you smoking crack when you lived there ?

pitfichie is not on the side of benahee – its close you can do a 45/50 mile killer loop if you dont mind a road detour or getting wet crossing the river 😀

scolty would keep your mega happy too

a 10 mile commute puts you in cults/ culter (aberdeens west end) if your rich or portlethan/newtonhill on the south side or kemnay /inverurie on the northwest ….. for riding youll want to be on northwest of city but the commute road is busy if your riding 🙁

base where your living on where you work and where you will spend most of your time going.

dont live north and work in altens and equally dont live in the south work in altens and go to inverness everyweekend – try to keep crossing the city to a minimum its a fooking hellhole

Gary_M
    Free Member

I lived in aberdeen for a year in ’96. Used to go up to kirkhill a couple of times a week and the forest across the road from there. Coast trail was nice too. But this was 15 years ago so things were less rad back then.

Woody
    Free Member

Isn’t PitFIKee

Are you English and like to ride around the loCKs? 🙄

Yetiman
    Free Member

Kirkhill is just past the airport and good for shortish rides but the Mega is a bit oversprung for the majority of it. I do take my Nicolai Helius FR round on the odd occassion but mostly I use the hardtail. Within a pretty close radius you have Bennachie, Millstone, Pitfichie, Clachnaben and Scolty, each of which has plenty of gnar sections to suit the Mega, and drive just a little further and you’re into the mountains.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Thanks for the input!

I lived in Aberdeen 10 years ago and the riding was either undeveloped or I didn’t really look very hard. I lived in Turriff and commuted in to Gallowgate College daily. I suppose all my money and time went into keeping the car on the road!
    I plan to commute and do general trails on a 29er, leaving the Mega for weekend excursions into the mountains.
    Any decent property websites (rental) for the area? Only looked on Rightmove so far.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ummm I’ve got a studio flat for rent on regent quay if you’re interested. Tenant in just now but he’s on a rolling 1 month lease.

KT1973
    Free Member

Get on http://www.aspc.co.uk
    It won’t be cheap

Deveron53
    Free Member

I rented a house in Fortrie for 15 quid per week as it had no heating apart from a coal fire and the hot water was back boiler or immersion heater. I’m not sure if the money I spent on fuel for the car and fire offset the low rent… Still, running up the hill at midnight in the total stillness and blackness to sit and watch the Northern Lights was most excellent!

Deveron53
    Free Member

I will need a 2 bed dwelling with enough room indoors for 4 bikes, 2 of which will not be very clean some of the time. North of the Dee and either within 10 miles for cycling or alternatively 40 mins drive.

trail_rat
    Free Member

7 or 800 quid a month then 🙁

gumtree and aspc seem to be the best place.

google backbrae steading cottage at connon of stonehaven – see if that suits ….lovely house im renting atm – movin due to work relocation 🙁

Deveron53
    Free Member

It’ll need to be between Aberdeen and Turriff ideally. Rothienorman looks ok, not far from Bennachie (I didn’t have to look it up to spell it!) I used to live in Fortrie 10 years ago – my user name is from River Deveron and AB53.
    My CV is circulating several companies in Aberdeen, gotta see what turns up…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Try rogerseat house rothienorman ib that case

Deveron53
    Free Member

AB here I come. Rigid 29er for now.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Great place to ride. Great place to drink. Great place to live. Just avoid the grumpy alky oil workers.

messiah
    Free Member

You will need lights, and try not to get depressed when you rarely see the sun for four months. Next summer you can ride until 11pm without lights… what goes around etc 😀

Deveron53
    Free Member

Well, if I could find some way of getting my misbehaving BB in my new frame I could ride in this lovely autumn weather… Booked it in with Alpine Bikes next Sat, why did I cross thread the lh cup? Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Got enough lights to imitate a low flying chopper coming into Dyce, twin 1200lm on bars plus another 1200lm one on helmet and a 6w rear that will probably get me some ‘beeps’ from dazzled drivers! Plus a nifty Gerber headlamp for trailside repairs and stuff.

I’m an ex bike industry employee trying to get used to being a ‘normal’ punter. I need a full Park Tool set one day or I won’t be completely happy!

bruneep

Can you not just remove the cup and put new one in?

pottsathome
    Free Member

My missus has applied for a move to Aberdeen for her job. God I ll miss staying in the middle of the 7 stanes

bruneep

Aye the ridin here is shite 🙄

duir
    Free Member

Pitfichie, Bennachie, Millstone, Aboyne, Scolty, Kirkhill, Ballater, Loch Muick, Glen Clova, Clachnabben, Mount Keen and that’s just the obvious stuff. Within that lot is tonnes of sublime singletrack, super tech rocky stuff, secret descents and full on munro bagging mountain days. Some of the best riding in Scotland and often you will be the only person you see all day! Your Mega would be ideal for a bit of everything up here.

duir
    Free Member

Got to bear in mind it’s pretty much the flattest bit of Scotland.

……you can’t buy class! 😆

dave_aber
    Free Member

My missus has applied for a move to Aberdeen for her job. God I ll miss her.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Well, been here 5 months, got a permanent job with a 100% wage increase on the last one! (wasn’t hard to do, ex- bike shop employee!), survived the winter (mild one this time), been riding on the rigid 29er (learning to ride again!). Just trying to get my mitts on a rental place within rolling distance of Pitfichie! I sold the Mega to fund my move, now saving hard for a Yeti!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘If I lived in Aberdeen, where and on what?’ is closed to new replies.