Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • I was having a look for a winter jacket earlier…
  • jools182
    Free Member

And spotted this in a snow and rock catalogue

http://mobile.snowandrock.com/kjus-mens-blade-jacket/kjus-jacket/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/63939

It’s a Kjus Blade jacket if the link doesn’t work

£1220

Is that not a tad excessive? I’ve read the technical spec and really don’t get why it’s over a grand

MoreCashThanDash

I’m saving that link for the next time I think Rapha and Assos are expensive.

Bregante

It’s been produced so that somebody who can afford it can reassure themselves that their jacket was considerably more expensive than their mates.

CountZero

😯 😯 😯 you could buy a car for that!
    I’ve got a lovely Bonfire snowboard jacket upstairs with a spec not far off that, that I picked up in a sale for £150!
    I hardly wear it ‘cos it’s too damned hot most of the time. Too damned good a jacket to get rid of, though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Stupidly expensive, but then if you have the dosh I’ve no problem with you buying one..

DezB
    Free Member

Fools and their money are easily parted

chewkw
    Free Member

Musto McNeill four pocket jacket (MJ1950) at TK Maxx for £129.

DezB
    Free Member

‘award winning’? Never knew there was a ‘Most stupidly priced jacket’ award

athgray
    Free Member

For Winter climbing I find Decathlon hard to beat. They have gear that fits the bill. There may be better out there, however they have great value for money.

matt_outandabout

Cameron McNeish just tweeted about outdoor kit getting really daft expensive, having been sent a jacket and trousers that were due to retail at north of £1500 for the pair…

somafunk

It’s all relative to your income so it’s no surprise that top tier outdoor aspirational clothing commands top tier pricing, you could make the same example with our expenditure on mtb’s and associated bike clothing – the other day when it was well below freezing and wet heading to work i was wearing berghaus goretex overtrousers (£90ish) Northwave arctic boots (£160ish) , Castelli sorpasso bib tights (£140ish), merino socks (£15ish), Waterproof Down filled mitts -“i have reynauds 😉 ” (£80ish), icebreaker merino top (£130ish) merino base layer (£40ish) and my 8 year old but trusty/never let me down Patagonia stretch element jacket (£350ish when new) – add all that up and it comes to a figure that is more than my monthly take home wage …that’s before you add in the couple of £4k bikes etc…….if i had the income to splurge money on such a jacket for a sport that meant so much to me i prob would, sometimes the snobbery on here fails to take into account the vast majority of the population would laugh and snigger at the amount we spend on bikes.

The above explains why at the age of 42 i still live in council accommodation and whilst i do have an espresso machine/coffee bean grinder/wood burning stove/30 yr old concurs Golf GTI 16v classic car/ take 6 month + holidays/apple everything/cdj2000’s/djm900 etc…etc……. i have nae so called aspiration to get with the program and buckle down/mortgage myself to the hilt so i cannot see the point of decorating/spending money on laying carpets/flooring as i drag my bikes through the house all the time so what’s the point – my money buys me things i want for a specific purpose rather than to impress others. Dunno where this spiel is going so i’ll buggeroff and finish the 1997 bottle of pinot noir that i accidentally opened earlier – there goes my bro’s xmas present but i had to taste it to check it was suitable….Hic!…..yeah 😀 …..very very nice indeed so i’d better get another bottle.

As an aside i have a mate in his late 30’s who rallies, he still lives at home despite earning almost £70k/year as he spends so much on what he loves doing – i bet he’s had more fun out of his life than pretty much all of us on here.

Jamie
    Free Member

i bet he’s had more fun out of his life than pretty much all of us on here.

I dunno. I had apple crumble earlier with custard AND ice cream.

somafunk

But was it proper home made apple crumble made by cook with apples from your own orchard, ice cream made with milk hand pulled from your own cows by buxom dairy maids, and custard made from your own custard plants…….

edit – i went so off topic i almost met myself coming back round again but then again i have almost finished an entire bottle of wine to myself which is pretty unheard of…….so i’ll scuttle off back under my stone and await the hangover……..and derision for my utterly pointless post….glad i could be of entertainment……….. 😀

BadlyWiredDog

.if i had the income to splurge money on such a jacket for a sport that meant so much to me i prob would, sometimes the snobbery on here fails to take into account the vast majority of the population would laugh and snigger at the amount we spend on bikes.

Buying really expensive stuff isn’t the same thing as being passionate about a sport, it’s just buying really expensive stuff. No reason why people shouldn’t do that if it makes them happy, but why dress up inflated expenditure as passion.

imnotverygood

I dunno. I had apple crumble earlier with custard AND ice cream.

D’you know. I’m 51 and I have never, ever, thought of doing that. Genius.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@ soma – I’d like to know more about the mittens please, cold hands from beta-blockers here.

And yes, I did read all your post, liked it.

rene59
    Free Member

top tier outdoor aspirational clothing

😥

Please don’t.

trail_rat
    Free Member

That yellow thing above – looks like it was styled ( if you can call it that) on a souwester….

somafunk

🙁

Please don’t

Apologies……stable door opened………horse bolted…….busy dual carrigeway…….Inattentive driver………multiple vehicle pile-up…….can hear screams of pain over the ensuing fireball……i’ve ruined xmas for everyone……. 😥

Down mitts….slightly more than i mentioned as i was embarrassed bout the cost – i’ve tried every glove including those lobster things with liner gloves etc but these are just amazingly warm and despite getting caught out in a few heavy prolonged showers they do appear to shrug off the rain with no bother – i can now leave the house without my blood vessels going into spasm and turning my hands purple then white for hours afterwards.

legend
    Free Member

4-way stretch. So that’s x, y, z and……. time? £1,200 for a time travel jacket seems like a bloody bargain to me!

paddy0091
    Free Member

Hideously expensive, but, but, it does contain PCM’s – Phase Change Materials. Particularly complex to develop…

see link if you CBA > PCM Clothing

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Its on a par with £3k enve wheels.
    I wouldn’t buy it, but someone will and I’m sure they’ll be very happy.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The spec on those mitts says ‘water resistant’ not waterproof’, I was interested.

Somafunk on a take home pay of around £1k a month I’m impressed by your level of spending!

molgrips
    Free Member

Somafunk = entertaining drunk 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

soma – thanks. When your hands can’t work brakes and gears, price is irrelevant.

somafunk

Glad to help, it can be brought on by just a few degrees of temp difference so it’s not even necessary to have freezing temps to get an attack, i’ve had it sitting here at my desk with one hand on the trackpad suddenly turning purple then white and dead looking yet the other hand can be red and warm to the touch, when the blood returns it can be excruciating to the point that i have to get bags of ice to plunge my hand in to stop the returning blood flow swelling the constricted arteries too fast – yeah it’s a stupid thing to do but it offers a brief respite otherwise even the slightest brush of the skin leaves you bouncing/hopping in pain – my grandad suffered badly from it so i guess it’s heriditary.

I have a drawer full of expensive proclaimed full-on winter gloves and various liner gloves that don’t work, but i wish i had bought down mitts years ago, The north wave arctic winter boots were a top solution for my feet as well.

PHD do a cheaper down mitt but these are a tad more robust so with my bikes propensity for ejecting me into gorse bushes i thought they’d suit me better. Despite saying they are water resistant i cycled 5 miles to work through a helluva vicious deluge last week and they were perfectly fine, still easy to operate brakes and shifters etc.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘I was having a look for a winter jacket earlier…’ is closed to new replies.