Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • I think there may be a wasps nest under construction in my office.
  • beamers

A couple of days ago I witnessed a large Wasp (I’m assuming it was a Queen given its size and the time of year) fly into my office, do a couple of circuits and then head into a hole in the plasterboard wall. I’ve not seen it since.

Having just read this I am concerned that at some point in the not to distant future I am going to open the office door to find a room full of angry young wasps itching to get out and about and do waspy things.

Any suggestions? (Apart from ripping the wall out, burning the building down, moving office/building, moving jobs – although I am moving on around 17 June but I guess the offspring will be active by then.)

alfabus
    Free Member

cover up the hole in the plasterboard?

beamers

Thought of that. However Wasps have an amazing way of finding their way out through tiny cracks. Friend of mine returned home from a trip away to find wasps emerging into their house through the holes in a plug socket.

I’ll stick some duct tape over the hole though.

yunki
    Free Member

time lapse camera into the office orifice and film the event..

sobriety
    Free Member

I had a wasp queen in my basement back in februrary, she’d obviously just woken up from hibernation. I squashed her.

Dobbo

I had a wasp queen in my basement back in februrary, she’d obviously just woken up from hibernation. I squashed her.

FFS 😆

beamers

The risk of significant injury outweighs my desire to produce a (probably quite cool) time lapse wasp documentary.

Kuco

We use to have some cans of wasp killer at work that worked a treat. My parents had a nest in the roof and one dose of this killed the lot. The thing is I can’t think what it was called or if it’s even still available. Sorry not much help 🙁 but best bet is get rid of them as soon as possible.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I had a wasps next under some fascia (sp?) on our extension. Ran a bead of mastic around it and not seen any since

retro83
    Free Member

squeeze some hornets into the hole to kill the wasps

beamers

Just shoved a pencil into the hole and had a good poke around. No sign of Mrs Wasp. I think the hole might be the gateway to myriad of tunnels and cavities just the right size for a wasp to move about the building within. Stuffed a load of paper into the hole to stop the swarm emerging from it.

carbon337
    Free Member

Wasps – do they actually do much pollinating? All the ones I ever see just fly around my head and try to get into my pint.

Are they like rats of the insect world?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

****ts with a shotgun best describes it?

roal moat to the forum please

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Wasps – do they actually do much pollinating?

I didn’t think they did any pollinating – aren’t they mostly carnivorous and leave the poncing about in flowers, and all the hard work, to bees ?

I like to consider them the Tories of the insect world : nasty mean-spirited greedy little feckers. Although labelling any of God’s creatures as such, probably isn’t fair.

lowey

Are they like rats of the insect world?

Pure evil. Nazis of the insect world.

Get a tin of fly spray and and aim the nozzle in the hole then let rip which the whole can. Best be sure.

Waderider
    Free Member

They eat aphids, so contribute to their own little corner of the ecosystem.

I had a nest in my loft last year – meaning I didn’t have access to a lot of bike spares. I let them live out of human kindness. Regretted it in the end, they appeared in every room from time to time, and the airing cupboard filled up with them daily – gaps round the pipes let them move downstairs.

If they nest near me again I’ll be zapping them. April to October on edge in your own house is too much!

nacho
    Free Member

PMSL @ Ernie – “I like to consider them the Tories of the insect world : nasty mean-spirited greedy little feckers. Although labelling any of God’s creatures as such, probably isn’t fair”

GaryLake
    Free Member

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I think there may be a wasps nest under construction in my office.’ is closed to new replies.