Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)
  • I see eight people here having to choose between eating or heating
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Well this is interesting, a break down of a family of 8 living on benefits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16812185

So they would be £82.40 worse off each week and that means choosing between eating and heating. Seems Sky TV, beer and fags are more important – they spend double the amount they would lose on that, an interesting hierarchy of needs there….

rogg
    Free Member

24 cans of lager a week + 200 fags + pouch of tobacco + top Sky package = Raymond probably won’t be around to worry about it much longer anyway.

scaled
    Free Member

Says Ray: “The market for my skills dried up 10 years ago – there’s a total lack of work in my area of expertise.”

Thats made my day that has 😀

‘I’m just waiting for COBOL to come back into fashion’ 10 years to retrain?

wallace1492
    Free Member

Jesus wept. My tax pays for his booze, fags, Sky package and pouch of tobacco! I cannot even afford top Sky package…

elzorillo
    Free Member

Calm down.. TJ and his cronies will be here in a moment to tell you the BBC are liars.

joao3v16
    Free Member

24 cans of lager a week + 200 fags + pouch of tobacco + top Sky package

+ mobile phone

This is why those on benfits don’t always get much sympathy – none of the above expenditures are ‘essential’

sharkbait
    Free Member

e.g. school books, uniforms & trips,clothing, shows, white goods replacement

School books & trips are free for them. Uniform will be cheap, and the ‘white goods replacement’ is laughable.

Says Ray: “The market for my skills dried up 10 years ago – there’s a total lack of work in my area of expertise.”

Then do something else.

24 cans of lager, 200 cigarettes and a large pouch of tobacco

Sod off.

brassneck

That’s some fine trolling by the BBC, it’s made me cross 🙂

rogg
    Free Member

Just found this bit too:
    “On the cigarettes, my wife tried to give up, but she missed one appointment on the course and they threw her off it”

So that was that, then. It’s their fault, obviously.

Note to self:
    Must. Calm. Down.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm… choosing between eating and heating?

Surley it’s choosing between drinking/smoking/watching TV and heating?

I am surprised at their energy bill. All those people rammed into a tiny house I’m surprised it needs any heating at all!

RustyMac

It doesn’t really mean choosing between eating and heating although it is a nice tag line to uses. It just means the same as it does to everyone else. You cut out the luxuries in your lifestyle till you can afford them again.

Seems like a perfect time to teach the kids the value of money and get them out doing paper rounds or working in a restaurent to pay for there phones.

4 beers a night and then a night out to the pub a week, i wish i could do that and still function at work!

BoardinBob

BBC breakfast news had some reporter visiting a family somewhere in London bleating on about their benefit cuts. In the background was a big LCD tv, surround sound system, sky box and PS3.

My. Heart. Bleeds.

allthepies
    Free Member

How much does 200 ciggies cost ? (no idea here, never touched one)

wallace1492
    Free Member

I am surprised at their energy bill. All those people rammed into a tiny house I’m surprised it needs any heating at all!

Plus burning that amount of fags/baccy must cause some heat too!

Shopping at Tesco/Morrison’s too, they aint cheap.

wrecker
    Free Member

Cheap ones are £5 for 20.

FraserHughes
    Free Member

an interesting hierarchy of needs there….

If you read Orwell’s A Road to Wigan Pier there is a very interesting commentary on this….

BoardinBob

How much does 200 ciggies cost

a pack of 20 is about £6???

So £60 a week on fags?

wallace1492
    Free Member

How much does 200 ciggies cost ? (no idea here, never touched one) £70-£75 quid, £18-20 for case of lager, £8 for pouch of baccy.

So, about half of the “grocery shopping” is going on tobacco and booze.

epicyclo

Demonise the poor by picking a few profligates, then it’s easy to get public support for persecuting them.

It’s a sick country that can’t look after those who need looking after.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s a sick country that can’t look after those who need looking after.

They’re currently being looked after to the tune of £30K / year.

wrecker
    Free Member

Demonise the poor by picking a few profligates

I’d bet there are much much more than a few people living like this.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Everybody’s going to overlook that the wife has a serious illness then?

wwaswas

After 10 years of not working through one of the biggest booms (and busts, tbh) in the last century as what he wants to do he should be taking anything going as he’s, effectively, unskilled labour now.

This focus on ‘I’m an ‘x’ and that’s what I’m going to stick with’ is why people often

a) end up as long term unemployed

and

b) see the unemployed as doing little to help temselves back into work.

wrecker
    Free Member

Does she need 200 cigarettes, 24 cans of lager and a big pouch of baccy as her treatment?
    If not, it’s pretty irrelevant.

simon_g

So £357/month worse off.

£128 a month on mobile phones? How? PAYG costs next to nothing, and they’re already paying for a home phone.

£60 a month on Sky? Freeview.

Cut down to 10 cigarettes a day each, drop the tobacco and that’s £87 saved.

Cut out the “three or four pints” in the pub each week and that’s another £80 saved. There we go, crisis averted and they can still afford to eat, sitting around all day smoking and drinking Asda value strong lager.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’m all for looking after the needy. That doesn’t include paying for them to get lung cancer though does it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fraser Hughes – Member

“an interesting hierarchy of needs there….”

If you read Orwell’s A Road to Wigan Pier there is a very interesting commentary on this….

When you are unemployed, which is to say
    when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don’t want to
    eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit ‘tasty’. There is
    always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you. Let’s have three pennorth
    of chips! Run out and buy us a twopenny ice-cream! Put the kettle on and
    we’ll all have a nice cup of tea! That is how your mind works when you are
    at the P.A.C. level. White bread-and-marg and sugared tea don’t nourish you
    to any extent, but they are nicer (at least most people think so) than
    brown bread-and-dripping and cold water. Unemployment is an endless misery
    that has got to be constantly palliated, and especially with tea, the
    English-man’s opium. A cup of tea or even an aspirin is much better as a
    temporary stimulant than a crust of brown bread.

Ok needs to be updated for the modern era but you get the drift.

Teh whole text is available here. makes interesting reading

http://www.george-orwell.org/The_Road_to_Wigan_Pier/5.html

madhouse

I don’t get it.

If money’s that tight then you tell the kids their phone’s going, you don’t stop eating just so they can text their mates and don’t get me started on the “they’d be mad” excuse. You sure as hell don’t go out once a week (I don’t even go out once a week!) and you cut back or stop smoking and drinking.

I wonder how much Taxpayer money is spent on Beer/Fags/Sky TV?

Going to stop typing now before I get too annoyed.

nonk
    Free Member

mebee’s the new bairn was a bad move eh ? 😕

Trimix
    Free Member

One of the issues is that these people also vote 🙂

wwaswas

At least with beer and fags a fair amount of their discretionary spend goes straight back to the treasury.

Anyone how much beer and fag tax they’d pay in a year?

vinnyeh

Slightly skewed priorities, lots of room for belt tightening, but I’m not sure how much economising I’d be interested in doing after 10 years of no work, stuck somewhere in North Wales, not much chance of a job for the rest of my life. Pretty bleak really.

edit: The Orwell quote sums it up better than me.
    Was thinking ‘No future’ now got God Save the Queen stuck in my head.

‘I go out once a week, on a Friday night. I meet up with my mates in the pub and have three or four pints.’

Cost £20. Thought London prices were extortionate.

Interestingly, if the wife was single and on benefits, would her smoking be affordable?

bruneep

The family receive a total of £30,284.80 a year in benefits

My piss poor public sector wage is £31,263.

Hmmm

wisepranker
    Free Member

Everybody’s going to overlook that the wife has a serious illness then?

I’m sure she does. Most probably plays up to it to make sure she’s kept signed off on the sick. There’s plenty of people with bipolar and anxiety realated illnesses who still manage to work and hold down jobs.

It’s people like the ones in the article that screw the system and cause problems for the genuinely needy. This couple are spending £100+ a week on luxuries that plenty of working families can’t afford. We shouldn’t be paying for it.

I regularly deal with patients at work who are life long benefits claimants. They feel that they’re entitled to it and for some unknown reason, deserve the money. It’s not out of the ordinary for these people to have the big screen tv along with Sky HD, PS3’s, Xboxes and all the other things that the rest of us have to work hard and save for. It’s disgusting.

The more I see of it, the more I thnk that food vouchers rather than cash should be given to benefit claimants.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hold on a minute…. seven kids… SEVEN?!

Also was there ever a market for computer programmers in north wales? Would love to live up there but had to move down south for work.

rogg
    Free Member

mebee’s the new bairn was a bad move eh ?

Seems to be a topic lots of people don’t like to broach.
    When the former Mrs Rogg and I were thinking about having a second child, I was working full time, she was working part time, and we still had to think very carefully about whether we could actually afford a bigger family. Now I know we could have had loads more!

allthepies
    Free Member

Four pints for £20, pricey in the outposts eh.

wwaswas

and you’ll take home a lot less than that after tax and NI.

grum
    Free Member

Mine’s a lot less, and I don’t receive any benefits – but yet I’m not about to froth.

The fact is, I’d rather some people abuse the system, but we made sure those that really need it are cared for – than have a very strict system which means that some of the poorest/most vulnerable people don’t get what they need.

wwaswas

grum – I think the balance seems to be shifting towards people seeing a life on benefits as some sort of ‘human right’ and all the time they can live more than a ‘basic’ lifestyle there’s no incentive to do anything else. In my view, if you have a PS3/Xbox/Sky in your life you’re living beyond basic.

yes, there are always people for whom regular paid employment will never be an option but there’s really not that many.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘I see eight people here having to choose between eating or heating’ is closed to new replies.