Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • I gave a hitch hiker a lift today
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Coming back with a load of gravel in the trailer, I picked up a hitch hiker. He’d been climbing in Torridon and had a week of sunny weather up there, he was headed south back to Nottingham.

When we toured the States we had to hitch a couple of times, a couple of times with the bikes and another time without. So some good Karma reciprocated.

Surprisingly he said he had no bother getting lifts, even single women with children, and old ladies going to church had helped him out.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i bet he killed you and raped your dead body and you dont even know it yet.

stranger danger

binners

Careful now 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

i bet he killed you and raped your dead body and you dont even know it yet.

stranger danger

In Colorado, Mme Moonteresse, trapped a nerve in her shoulder. We were at a junction, the first pick up truck that arrived offered us both a lift to the nearest town 12 miles away. Mme M had no hesitation in getting a lift solo, she was happy for me to ride to town. Turns out the guys were two bow hunters off on a trip to snag some Elk. Two nicer guys you couldn’t meet. Fear? It’s all about perception.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=252651&v=ar

coffeeking
    Free Member

Careful now

Where do I sign up? 😀

richmtb

If I’m up north or on the islands touring round in the car I’m quite happy to stop for hitchhikers.

I was on Islay a couple of weeks ago and we picked up a Japanese tourist who was hitching his way around Islay and a few of the other islands.

He was going to see the same places as us for most of the day so we just drove him round. When we got to the Laphroig distillery he bought as some minatures for our trouble and when he dropped him off at Bowmore he bowed magnificently!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

When I was a student, me and a pal rode from Geneva to get through the Mont Blanc tunnel unaware that we couldn’t ride through it.

We attempted to hitch our way through. Loads of camper vans, buses and pick up trucks sped past us. After a couple of hours an Italian family of three in a Fiat 500, the tiny air cooled 50s model stopped. we explained our predicament, they said no trouble jump in. They rolled back the sunroof, chucked our panniers in on top of us, then placed our biked flat on the roof with instructions to hang on to them. The suspension must have been close to scraping the road, but they got us through the tunnel.

GrahamS

when he dropped him off at Bowmore he bowed magnificently!

He must have read the sign.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

i hitched from york to edinburgh when i was younger…got picked up by all sorts of different people…worst was a guy who wanted to give me a drink/food back at his place…just told him about me being in the army/kung fu was my hobby etc…

nice couple of ladies,WI types gave me a longish lift that made theyre week! they only did it because the sermon on sunday had mentioned helping a stranger….karma is good!

druidh
    Free Member

I was heading up the A9 a couple of years back and at Perth there was a couple if guys hitching so I stopped. Turned out they were Slovaks and the only map they had was like a page from a wee pocket diary. They were heading to Ullapool but wanted to see Loch Ness on the way. I explained that the A9 didn’t actually pass Loch Ness and took them via Laggan and Fort Augustus instead.

The lift before I got them was from some guy heading to Perth and he’d picked them up just outside Marseille!!

flip
    Free Member

I hitched all over Europe for a couple of years 1996 ish, i had lifts off the most random people, and as mcmoonter says single women a plenty.

Even had a lift in a 2CV in France with 2 sheep on board..

Only place i struggled was the road from the south to Andorra in the ski season, i tried all day but all the cars were full of skiers 😐 with lots of gear and no space for a scruffy Pom 🙄 So i ended up camping up a hill with the Wolves.

dewydd
    Free Member

A mate of mine spent 5 years at Paisley Uni and always hitched to and from Oban when home for the weekend. He never had any problems getting lifts and swore that hitching was always faster than the bus / train service.

cb

I used to hitch from Uni at Lancaster to home in Hampshire. Quicker than the train on most occasions! Is it legal now as I never see hitch hikers in motorway service stations anymore?

leffeboy

GrahamS – that is shocking. Naughty step for you

bland

I picked up a proper hippy from J19 M6 last weekend and took him to Heathrow, he was going to london so was well chuffed.

He was actually a really sound guy, friends on Faceache now and he is touring the UK while over from home in Austria for a month. Had a right blast on the way down too, made a rubbish journey enjoyable.

What made it funnier was my colleague who i met at the car park had done the same on his trip down from Llanberis.

Payback for all my journeys between Keele and Lancaster Uni as a student

Pigface
    Free Member

I once hitched from Peru to Santiago, was a fantastic way to cross the Atacama.

In my teens used to hitch up and down the M4 all the time only ever had one weird experience.

One trucker even knew the village I grew up in asked if a prominent member of the communities wife was still on the game? I was shocked and said I didnt know. When I got home I asked my dad and he said yes she was but I wasnt to talk about it. It was one of those things everyone knew about but no one ever mentioned.

Edukator
    Free Member

I still hitch from time to time and eventually get to my destinations. I give lifts too but there are less people to pick up these days. Both male and female lift givers used to chat me up though mostly men. Some quite forcibly, I got dumped on the hard shoulder half way between Grenoble and Chambery having turned down one guy. I didn’t turn all the ladies down though.

Hitching with girlfriends then Madame was easier so long as people had space. Hitching with Madame, junior and a broken tandem provied possible – a camper van with a motorbike rack picked us up and delivered us to our door.

Bad experiences: an attempted theft of my stuff, a near brawl with a lorry driver at speed on the motorway when he suddenly decided to peel off down a deserted slip road and I decided my chances of surviving a high speed crash were better than surviving the guys advances. One or two Senna wannabees; finding the Deudeuche had no brakes when the driver asked me to take over when he was too tired to go on; a driver chain-smoking joints; trying to hitch out of Cadiz (can anyone guess why?).

Some of the best times of my life.

keppoch

Have hitched a couple of times on holiday in Slovakia, Sweden and most recently in a race to catch flight I hitched across Lithuania and Latvia. Involved about 6 different legs. I was doing OK but had to get a taxi for the last leg, I paid slightly over the odds for a ‘fast’ journey. Think we did around 100kph through the border and the driver bottomed it out over a level crossing at one point – all whilst listening to hi-NRG eurodance remixes. I made the flight on time 🙂

Hitching is a great way to get around, I think the risks are way overrated and meeting people who would otherwise be having a dull journey is great. I have had worse experiences in taxi’s than hitching.

Don’t drive much myself but did give a lad a ride in the highlands last summer.

tops5
    Free Member

I used to pick hitchers up all the time until I picked a guy up at Charnock Richard services a few years ago. He seemed a bit strange but ok until he told me in an amiable and matter of fact manner that the previous week he had made guy take hin all the way to (can’t remember where) by threatening him with a knife.

I stopped on the M56/M6 interchange and made him get out, suprised and relieved when he did!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘I gave a hitch hiker a lift today’ is closed to new replies.