Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Hunted !
  • teenrat

Just watched this and its good. Just shows you how difficult it is to get away and also the huge amount of tools the authorities have at their disposal.

Every place/ plan seems to have weaknesses and shows the amount of discipline needed to succeed.

nicks
    Free Member

Can’t help but feel maybe the doctor should have used one of his bikes to escape !

Very interesting and really makes you think “how would I do it”

everyone
    Free Member

Didn’t know that was starting this week otherwise I would have watched it. Instead I spent the evening battling with stupid braided hoses.

I hate braided hoses.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andeh

I’m just catching up now, it is quite good isn’t it!

I automatically think about bikes as escape vehicles, but doubt they’d be any good for any length of time.

Any good plans formulated yet?

Swelper
    Free Member

The doctor bloke seems to have it sorted for the time being

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Why do people automatically think they need to travel to the other end of the country? I’d be off the grid in about ten minutes.

chewkw
    Free Member

Impossible to get away without a trace …

Northwind

I could be hard to find in an hour, realisticall impossible to find in a couple, I reckon. A proper full-on manhunt would do it, if I’d murdered the queen or something but it’d take that sort of epic mobilisation. But I have literally no survival skills so I’d have to visit civilisation from time to time, I’d probably get caught that way. Or when I caved in and posted on STW about tyres.

fin25
    Free Member

A bike might be a good way of getting about “off grid”. Not 650b though, they make the trail come alive… 😆

rene59
    Free Member

Hide in plain sight. Go bikepacking or backpacking and blend in with others where possible.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Organise a posse of people to try and find you. Stay near but not at the head of the posse. They’ll never find you if you’re one of them

Lucan (Lord)

chewkw
    Free Member

ChubbyBlokeInLycra – Member

Organise a posse of people to try and find you. Stay near but not at the head of the posse. They’ll never find you if you’re one of them

Lucan (Lord)

In those days they did not have the technology …

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I might have to try and find that…

I reckon train and bike to somewhere and then start a long tour

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d use the bike. It’s what they’d expect me to do. I’d like to reach inside the telly and slap that one who keeps phoning home to find out about her kid though.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

I’d hide in my shed. I can never find anything in there.

mark90
    Free Member

If like on the show I knew it was coming I’d discuss false plans on e-mail in the time leading up. Have a grab bag packed ready to go instead of flapping around for 1/2 an hour. Couple of quick early cash withdrawals that would indicate a direction and mode of travel that backed up the e-mail plans. Then bugger off in a different (but not exactly opposite direction) on foot with a tent/bivy. A month with a bit of cash in the pocket shouldn’t be that hard. The main flaw in the plan is that my background would indicate a likelyhood of heading off grid to the hills camping. So maybe living on the streets in a city would be a less expected option.

Retromud
    Free Member

Debating whether to watch or not… Have to be slightly sceptical. Your every move is followed by a camera crew – so that’s 2-3 people inc a driver. You can move 24 hours a day – so is there more than one crew working shifts? If I was going off grid, they’d have to be properly prepared to survive some of the places I might go – food, shelter etc, with only a 10hour walk on foot back to civilisation. If I was on the run, I’d ditch my phone, take all my cash out the bank before leaving, and that’s me off grid. Living in the highlands, it’s pretty easy to avoid cctv, even when using shops – just avoid the bigger stores.

So who gets spotted – you or your camera crew?

sgn23
    Free Member

I’m a bit sceptical of the ‘reality’ element of this show. I watched the first one and some of the scenes seemed very scripted with poor acting!

nickjb
    Free Member

Watched an interview with someone from the show on BBC breakfast and it sounded pretty far from ‘reality’

agent007
    Free Member

I’d have prepacked a lightweight tent and minimal camping gear, grabbed the bike, ditched the phone, stayed local to withdraw all of the £450 in cash over the first 2 days, then paid cash to grab a train within a couple of days ride of say the Lakes. Spend the whole month travelling round the trails, mostly wild camping, paying cash for everything in small local shops, farm shops etc. Nice little holiday and how would they find you?

I suspect that the programme has rules about these sort of things. No doubt you’d have to remain accessible for a vehicle based camera crew at all times, otherwise they can’t properly film it. Can’t see a camera crew bing happy tackling some gnarly trails and possibly bad mountain weather day after day.

dknwhy

It’s an interesting concept but it’s just ridiculous with the camera crew in tow. Day one I’d be giving my cameraman the slip.
    Who’s to say they’re not tipping the chasers off to make good TV?

Tiger6791

I’d put myself with my car keys every morning.

They are the masters at hiding

martinhutch

Presumably they don’t actually have access to ANPR, ATM data and CCTV, but the accompanying camera crews give the pursuers the equivalent information.

It’s a great concept for a show, be interesting to see how it develops.

Personally, I would have thought the ‘Rogue Male’ approach of hiding in a hollowed-out hole in a ditch with a bunch of canned food would be hard to counter, but wouldn’t make great telly, would it?

colournoise

Missed the show (is it on 4od yet?), but caught some of the interview on BBC Breakfast where one of the hunters said the hardest people to catch were those with no plan who made it up as they went along as it was obviously really tough to see a pattern and predict their next move.

So, you’re all caught.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The doctor bloke seems to have it sorted for the time being

Pretending to be Salman Rushdie for a few years gave him some good practice.

totalshell

hide in plain sight.. the folks you meet in the dales/lakes highlands would know you immediately as an outsider and up to no good and the very few shops you d stand out like a sore thumb.. hide in plain sight.. rock up at winny mandela builings squat a flat and i reckon you could live normally without anyone of the squillion folks who d see you every day suspecting a thing

MoreCashThanDash

I’d get my wife to tidy me up. Can never find a **** thing after she’s tidied it up.

Or put myself through the washing machine with my favourite socks. 50/50 chance of going off grid forever!

Drac

It’s TV so it’ll be 70% bollock with 30% reality and that’s being generous.

hammerite
    Free Member

Not watched this yet and I know it is a different beast to Mantracker… But on there it was a genuine man hunt. The scenes where the hunted were followed by a camera closely with Terry in close pursuit were reproduced based on what actually happened during the manhunt – crime watch reconstruction style.

Could this be similar?

martinhutch

Mantracker… But on there it was a genuine man hunt.

Mantracker has elements of a genuine manhunt, but the number of times he has them at close quarters within a couple of hours of the start, but basically lets them get away (in order to prolong the chase into the second day and make enough material for the show) makes me think that a lot of the formula is engineered rather than natural.

I’m also sure some of the competitors could disappear into the brush and not pop out until the finish point if they really wanted – sometimes it’s as little as 30k to bushwhack over a two day period.

The old mantracker was better, too. His liberal use of the word ‘bugger’ endeared him to me.

hammerite
    Free Member

Agree on the finding and losing them (usually down to terrain unsuitable for a horse) and his use of bugger!

martinhutch

Agree on the finding and losing them (usually down to terrain unsuitable for a horse)

It’s more obvious with the new one as he likes getting off and chasing on foot, but always seems to give up quite easily on the first day…or decide it’s time to make camp!

Fun show though.

TheDTs
    Free Member

The covert ops guys could earn a fortune, finding all the passwords, important pieces of paperwork and information we all lose.
    A great public use of public money, think how many hours we all waste every year looking for all this stuff and re-setting passwords.

sadexpunk

hide in plain sight.. the folks you meet in the dales/lakes highlands would know you immediately as an outsider

s’wat i was thinking to…. seems silly trying to get as far away as possible, running the risk of more anpr sightings etc. a chaser could probably pass you in the street and not give you a second glance as you would just be a member of the faceless public, so just stay in the city where you live.

Tiger6791

a chaser could probably pass you in the street and not give you a second glance as you would just be a member of the faceless public, so just stay in the city where you live.

Hiding in plain sight is a good idea if you can blend in, but…

Camera crew following you round might make you stand out though.

Drac

so just stay in the city where you live.

I don’t live in a city.

AlasdairMc

I watched it and noticed one of the women had a SPOT tracker attached to her belt. If they’re so determined to be anonymous, why are they using a Spot tracker??

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’d head to my nearest large city, rather than the mountains as even in the middle of know where you have to come in to shops and people will notice you as a stranger. With a decent amount of cash it would be easy to be lost? Could even get a cash job and stay indefinitely.

g5604
    Free Member

They are clearly using the camera man to fill in the gaps – all the guys in the secret room seem to be doing is looking at Google maps.

I am bit confused how they shot the lady getting cash out from the ATMs point of view…

sadexpunk

Hiding in plain sight is a good idea if you can blend in, but…

Camera crew following you round might make you stand out though.

good point 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Hunted !’ is closed to new replies.