Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • how to re-proof my goretex?
  • retro83
    Free Member

I've been a nubbin and washed my goretex coat with normal washing powder in.

Water no longer beads and runs off the outer surface (just soaks in/through now). 🙁

Anyone know how to fix it?

Search results coming back with lots of different solutions* so I don't know what to do.

* Nikwax, Comfort Pure, tumble dry it, iron it(!)

If Nikwax is the way forward, which specific products do I need?

Thanks

mulacs

SHAZAM
    Works brilliantly for me. Highly recommended.

swoosh
    Free Member

i use grangers wash in reproofer

wash it with normal detergant, wash it with grangers stuff, then tumble dry for about 40mins.

works a treat. need to do it once or twice a year but worth it as it means your expensive jacket keeps doing what it should do

AndyRT
    Free Member

worth noting that Nikwax are the only ones able to use the Goretex logo on their products. They have a new tech wash and wash in that doesn't need a tumble drier to work.

grimey
    Free Member

I did the same thing with my Paclite Berghaus jacket. Got some TX-Direct wash in stuff from Nikwax and that seems to have done the job.

scruff
    Free Member

CRC sell nikwax btw.

BadlyWiredDog

What's happened is that the residues from the detergent you've used have masked the original water repellent treeatment, start off by washing the jacket again using either Nikwax techwash or the Grangers equivalent then double rinsing it. That should remove the remnants of the detergent.

You may then get away with simply tumble drying on cool or ironing the jacket – follow the care label – to reactivate the original DWR. If that doesn't work, you need to use a reproofer from Nikwax or Grangers, spray-on if it has a liner, wash-in if not and follow the instructions.

gonzy
    Free Member

i've use the grangers xt on my jacket before without any problems, and i've only ever needed to do it once every 4-5 months, but i've never used nikwax so i dont know how good it is.
    if you want it reproofing professionally Lancashire Sports Repsirs (www.lsr.gb.com) can do that for around £30.

retro83
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the help everyone.

Will get either Grangers or Nikwax depending on what's available locally.

Undoubtedly, repairing my waterproof will have the side effect of ensuring we have the sunniest & dryest autumn of all time now 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Grangers, that's all you need to know.

Grangers is the stuff that they use in the factory when they make the garment. Nikwax isn't.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘how to re-proof my goretex?’ is closed to new replies.