Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • How old were you when you first tried houmous…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…obviously some of you wouldn’t of even heard of it if you’re from the North !

Seriously though I must have been 7 or 8 years old so that’s 1980, always had alternative parents…

Answers on a pita bread please….

Rockape63
    Free Member

Never! It looks disgusting and that’s good enough for me!

Drac

Absolutely no idea.

ElShalimo

Twelvty

myopic
    Free Member

The first time I had it, I ate it.

What kind of experiment did you do?

weeksy

I’ve made it to 46 without doing so thankfully

Drac

What kind of experiment did you do?

Something alternative.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not sure, but I was about 18 before I’d ever heard of garlic bread which would have been the early nineties.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

fried lamb, loads of houmous, chopped parsley and lemon juice. my god that’s good

joshvegas
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    I’ve made it to 46 without doing so thankfully

Missing out!

choppersquad
    Free Member

Yep, 46 and just the smell of it makes me want to vom.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m from oop nuuuueeerrrrrth and never though of Humous as being ‘alternative’, however my dad was (is) into cooking from various countries so always has something different going on in the kitchen. He built a make-shift Tandoor oven back in the day when BBQ’s were just kicking off, and we had a Tandoori cook-out instead of a BBQ. Though I guess I didn’t have the typical upbringing when it comes to food. About the only aspect of my life that wasn’t typical and boring when growing up.

midlifecrashes

19 or 20 probably. Pretty plain food in our house as a kid, except for the odd exotic Vesta curry. Plus there wasn’t the money for eating out with 5 kids.

P-Jay
    Free Member

4/5 is guess, some of my family are from the Middle East way-back-when so we had ‘odd’ stuff now and again.

redmex
    Free Member

Just tried an olive for the first time and might try and pop my salad cherry soon
    Spam, shippams meat paste, toast toppers mothers pride plain loaf and angel delight the staple food in Escotia

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh my.

BillMC

Answers on a pita bread please….

French stick?

slowoldman

It wasn’t invented when I were a lad.

Drac

He built a make-shift Tandoor oven back in the day when BBQ’s were just kicking off

Was that BH or after?

It wasn’t invented when I were a lad.

You’re over 700 years old?

BigJohn

There’s hummus you get out of a jar and there’s hummus you make yourself. Two different things. One isn’t hummus, the other is lovely.

binners

Its basically this, with some garlic flavouring added….

Like olives, nobody actually likes it, but if you’re prepared to endure the tiling grout/fairy liquid combo of those two vile substances then you’re accepted into the middle class, whereas if you’re an honest salt of the earth oik you are excluded, but at least you can shrug and have some primula on a thick piece of sliced white bread and a packet of Monster Munch

I think I know who’s winning 😀

jonnyboi

I didn’t realise it was such a momentous moment.

Feeling quite foolish right now

Drac

Me too I might see if my parents have it in the family album.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

4 or 5, and i’m from up north (born there). Though family is extensively from elsewhere.

This is what happens when you do your shopping from the lowest of three quotes. Same with the olives.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Piss off… proper olives that you can seemingly get from every french village are as addictive as crack.

The French are right, this island is full of inbres peasants and pirates. 😆

binners

Olives are the devils chug-nuts.

I periodically try them just to check if I’ve somehow magically become more middle class and sophisticated, like.

Invariably I haven’t, as I also end up asking myself the same question…. why do they inject them with washing up liquid?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Again, doing it wrong if your olives taste like washing up liquid.

chilled76
    Free Member

About 10 I think.

33 Before I made my own (didn’t use shop bought tahini (sp) paste either, toasted some sesame seeds and used a pestle and mortar.

kayak23

I can’t remember when I first tried Houmous, but I just cannot imagine life without it. Pretty young I reckon. Veggie since 14 so perhaps more open to eating that foreign muck.

I was wondering what my life was like BH recently as it happens. What the frig did I put on me sangers?

I’m a big fan but something of a Houmous-purist. All these new fangled flavours these days are for amateurs.

DezB
    Free Member

Like olives, nobody actually likes it

My kid likes olives. Has done since he was tiny. And kids don’t fake shit like that! Weirdly, he prefers green to black.
    Anyway, houmous – prob in 30s, after I was married. The ex liked to do pita , olives and humous for lunch. Another weird one, cos she wasn’t at all posh.

Why are we all spelling hummus wrong anyway?

Daffy

My 7 month old loves the stuff. Myself, I have no idea. Not a fan.

binners

Again, doing it wrong if your olives taste like washing up liquid.

the last couple of times have been at our local Tapas place that Jay Rayner rates as one of the best eateries in the country.

Their food is fantastic.

Apart from the olives

They taste like…

avdave2

Try making it with roast chestnuts for a festive version,it’s very good

xherbivorex
    Free Member

it’s threads like these that keep me going back to wondering just how binners and i are such good friends!

ad, i shall bring you some of my home made houmous soon. it goes really well with a packet of space raiders…

jamiep
    Free Member

In the cinema for Star Wars on Monday, the person next to me (fortunately a few seats across) unpacked a selection of dips and hummus, and shovelled it into his gob with pitta. Off-putting

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

about 5 when I first pulled a cracker.. something about santa and self elf books

Now taramasalata is a different beast..

kerley
    Free Member

Olives are the devils chug-nuts.

I periodically try them

I couldn’t eat them at all when young but persevered with them and then one day went from hating them to loving them. Something about trying things enough times (around 10)

Have always liked houmous but don’t give me any kimchi (or any other fermented stuff)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Don’t remember exactly. Was also brought up on meat paste, tins of mince-meat, processed pork and jams. Even (especially) mayonnaise didnt feature in our house, nor any other ‘foreign muck’. Proper British. There came a time somewhere in the 1980s where the family love of pork had somehow let ‘paté’ slip through the net and into the fridge. On rare occasions. Yes, it was foreign. Yet it doesn’t have garlic in it (a foodstuff literally banned from the house I kid you not) – so it somehow passed the ‘test’. The Force of Pork is strong in the Black Country. Had to be Brussels paté.

Houmous, though? I don’t remember hearing it mentioned in the 70’s/80s. And isn’t it Arabic? That would be beyond pretentious. Completely alien goo territory.

So I probably tried houmous some time in the 90’s in my twenties. Then-girlfriend had a big family and they ate all manmer of ‘foreign stuff’. It was like a magical wonderland for my taste-buds. This immediately landed me in the ‘pretentious’ category back home. I think I may have mentioned once that I liked it. Black sheep status eaned.

Still haven’t found a foodstuff that I don’t like (apart from badly-cooked stuff of course) Probably will be an insect or some of that rotten-smelling Scandinavian tinned fish-horror I read about. Or that italian cheese made of cheesy maggot-poo and maggots. Although, have eaten a maggot once. Hmmm…

Andy-R

My wife makes the best houmous (revithosalata) that I’ve ever tasted, the important bit is not to boil the chickpeas. This is dry chickpeas, of course – not tinned.
    Soak them overnight then freeze them for a few days – the freezing is the important bit, because it softens them so you don’t need to boil them, which means that you don’t lose all the flavour into the water you’ve boiled them in.

And on a hot summer’s day you’re not heating your house up with all that boiling either……..

Then just as normal – tahini, garlic, rigani, parsley, lemon juice, salt, olive oil and blitz with a hand blender. Drizzle a bit more olive oil on top before serving. Result is more flavour and texture than if you boil the chickpeas and infinitely better than any of the bought stuff.

Eat with some lallagia with a glass of Plomariou ouzo. What’s not to like?

gerti
    Free Member

Probably about 24, so 2005-ish. Bit backward here in NI. The DUP tried to have it banned, along with line dancing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘How old were you when you first tried houmous…’ is closed to new replies.