• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ronnie30-spam.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How much to have your house painted?
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Just wondering what roughly it would cost te get someone to paint the exterior of our house? It's a two story, three bedroom 1960s detached house. Fairly bog standard in most ways.

I want to know if it's worth the hassle of doing it ourselves, or if we're easier just paying someone to do it.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just cost me £600 to have front, rear & gable end done in white with all pipe work & window sills in gloss black.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I'll do it for £500 ex materials 😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Thing is, now the next door neighbours have removed the sodding great tree from their garden my white gable end glows like a headlamp if you're heading up the hill!

Thinking of a giant mural along the lines of Cameron & clegg in a passionate clinch… 😆

Marin
    Free Member

Depends, is it the whole structure as in all the brickwork, do you have PVC windows, plastic drain pipes etc. If you live on Merseyside let me know I'll come round and give you a quote! 😉

kennyp
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. The house is actually in Edinburgh, and it's just for the external walls (all rendered). Folk in my office have talked about it costing several thousands to get houses done, though that includes tons of paint.

I was trying to get an idea if it would be much cheaper to do it myself (including buying all the paint at B&Q prices) or getting someone proper in to do it who gets discount paint, but obviously I need to pay their labour costs.

I know it's almost always cheaper to do things yourself, but somethings aren't worth the hassle. I want to know if this is one.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Same question but in Southampton. 3 Bed detached

pjd
    Free Member

2 bed semi, but with most of the paint on 2 walls needing removed as is flaking. Is going to cost me 1300. But that is going to be a coat of sealer on the bare wall. And 2 coates weathershield. Plus eaves, pipes etc in gloss.
    If you have a good starting surface then it should be a smaller job.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

putting totally dull hat on…

when you say

gable end

do you mean the side of the house up to the apex?

we have a semi and the side of the house is exposed to a carpark and rendered all the way up and its on a slope we need to get it painted and i reckon it would cost a fortune as it would need scaffolding?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Monkey boy – the chap doing my house charged me £600 incl. paint and the hire of a scaffy rig/tower. TBH it only needs the tower to finish off the chimney stack and about 3ft at the apex.
    He's a bit of a wideboy but he's done all he said he would so far.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Just done two in Harrogate. One large detached took almost 10 days due to the scalloped type rendering, as it had to be done with a brush. 9X15 ltr tubs of paint costing around £300 + £150 a day labour.
    Other house was rendered in a sand finish so that only took 4 days and around 6X5 ltr tins.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How much to have your house painted?’ is closed to new replies.