Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How much do you pay for a service and MOT?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Just had The Mighty Vectra (2.0 TDi) done.

Full service, MOT, oil change, filters, additives, flush, brake clean, pollen filter, courtesy car etc…

£241.

I think it is OK considering how the car feels as a result but my in-laws and therefore my wife, because her dad knows best, think it is extorsion.

tron
    Free Member

My gaffer recently had her car done, same day, pick up and drop off at work, came to 130 quid. At that money I’d bet it’s only an oil and filler change &, mot, not a full service as per the schedule.

CHB

MOT £25 half price from Halfords.
    5 litres of top spec synthetic oil £40
    Oil filter £6
    Carbon pollen filter £14
    Brake fluid for brakes flush £8
    Air filter approx £10-15

I do a lot of my own servicing and so to me £241 is a lot. But for a garage if they have changed lots of filters (maybe fuel also…another £15 for the part, maybe recharge aircon?) then its not crazy expensive, but not cheap either.

lapierrelady

MOT KwikFit £40
    Full service £350 (ARGH)!
    Interim Service £150
    But that is a SAAB service at the dealer

wwaswas

HtS I just paid almost exactly that for service and not on my Renault diesel. Included £40 for working on wiring for clutch pedal switch.

Harry_the_Spider

Looking at the bill.

The labour was £80+VAT, MOT £45, courtesy car £10 and the rest was parts.

I’m happy with that. The F-I-L can stick it up his ass 😉 .

supertacky
    Free Member

Local garage MOT + interim Service £180 total including all parts and VAT.
    Glasgow.

LMT
    Free Member

MOT cost me £35 last july, got a discount due to being a repeat customer, i always go back to the same garage. The service ive been quoted £200 can be cheaper if they don’t use authorised parts, but best to stick to the same bits. Seems to be the going rate, won’t have a courtesy car as the garage is round the corner from home.

winston_dog
    Free Member

The MOT is obviously standard.

So about £200 for isn’t bad for a full service. A big chunk of that would be just for the oil.

Seems about standard.

Drac

Free well all paid for under the lease.

porter_jamie

vw t4:
    cambelt, diesel pump belt, new water pump, new alternator belt, new front disks and pads and new LH bottom ball joint – all genuine

£862!!

the main dealer wanted 775 just to do the cam/pump belts.

i do the oil and so on myself, but the cambelt is far too scary.

terrahawk
    Free Member

sounds like your father in law is trying to pretend that he’s awesome. he’s not. that price isn’t too bad really.

superfli
    Free Member

Just got a groupon offer that I have bought for the wife’s car. £49 which includes a “Full service”??!!, oi+filter change, aircon recharge, wheel tracking, vacuum and car clean. Not a bad price at all I thought!

Have yet to see if car is returned….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I take my car to our local council fleet services MOT tester. They charge £40 for the MOT, but are not permitted to undertake any repair work, so there is no incentive to fail on marginal or needless stuff.

I usually do all my own servicing, but I have to say it doesnt amount to much these days. Cars have come a long way since Series IIA Land Rovers!

oddjob
    Free Member

Sounds good to me, service on our Mazda 6 usually runs to between 7000 and 10000 Danish Kroner which equates to £800-£1000 😯

motox2k
    Free Member

i would sell the mazda.

saying that my honda is expensive @ the dealership.

One thing I have learnt is for FSH all you have to do is use original parts and keep the receipts, you can then stamp your own book and its perfectly fine to do so.

I have Autodata (upto 2007), this is basically what the garages use and tells you every step for every service level, its accually a small amount of work, for the price they charge.

kudos100
    Free Member

Mot – I’ll be finding a new one as the last one shafted me. Servicing I do myself. About £50-60 quid all in.

GJP
    Free Member

Sound perfectly reasonably to me. A service on mine to broadly the same spec would be £249 plus £49 for the MOT insurance (in place of paying for the MOT). Audi main dealer in Surrey

jota180
    Free Member

2.0l Toyota diesel

Intermediate service and MOT £160 – Main Dealer

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think it is OK considering how the car feels as a result but my in-laws and therefore my wife, because her dad knows best, think it is extorsion.

Extortionate unless it’s had replacement parts other than oil and filters. I’m with some above. MOT is £40-50 quid, oil and filtes are about £30 in total. An hours labour.

Still, it’s worth what you’ll pay for it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

One thing I have learnt is for FSH all you have to do is use original parts and keep the receipts, you can then stamp your own book and its perfectly fine to do so.

You can always stamp your own book, whether it’s worth the paper it’s written on is a different matter. FSH means very little with the monkeys out there.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Had an oil change for the XC90 yesterday at National tyres. All done reasonably quickly using the correct Castrol Edge oil (6.5l) for £52 less 10% discount voucher printed off tinterweb.
    I couldn’t even buy the oil at Costco for that price!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Mines going in tomorrow for MOT and service (Mondeo est 2L TDCi) , £241 I would be chuffed with, it sounds like a pretty good price to me, what I would expect to pay for just the service. I’m expecting £500ish with definitely 2 new tyres, possibly pads and discs and other probable odds and sods. Hasn’t cost me anything over and above the usual mots and services in nearly 2 years tho, so I’m expecting my luck to run out tomorrow.

jlf1970
    Free Member

Cmax 1.8 TDCI – major service (without cambelt) £160 and MOT £35
    Quite reasonable for the money I thought from local trusted garage.

restless
    Free Member

If you don’t have any service history with a car, how do you know when the cambelt needs changing?
    Without having to ask the garage as they may say it needs changing when it doesn’t really.
    I mean is there a certain age or mileage when one should be changed?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Usually between 50 and 70K, or after 5 years, with a few notable exceptions. It’s usually cheaper to replace the belt without it needin it rather than being wrong and smashing your valves into your pistons. Of course you could have a non-interference engine where it doesn’t matter if the belt snaps, but they’re not common these days. Take a peek yourself – the timing belt top cover will be fairly easy to whip off, any cracks, scoring or tooth splits, or fraying, would suggest it hasn’t been changed.

Northwind

Service I do myself (it’s an older Focus, all you need to service it is a big hammer and a bucket of tar). MOT I pay, I think, £30 to a local place.

That’s working on the assumption the car’s roadworthy when it goes to MOT mind, always curls my toes a little to hear people talk about all the repairs they needed “for the MOT”. “I needed 4 new tyres for the MOT”, no, you needed 4 new tyres for safe driving, just that you didn’t change them when you should have done.

restless
    Free Member

Usually between 50 and 70K, or after 5 years, with a few notable exceptions. It’s usually cheaper to replace the belt without it needin it rather than being wrong and smashing your valves into your pistons. Of course you could have a non-interference engine where it doesn’t matter if the belt snaps, but they’re not common these days. Take a peek yourself – the timing belt top cover will be fairly easy to whip off, any cracks, scoring or tooth splits, or fraying, would suggest it hasn’t been changed.

I got my car 18mths ago and haven’t had it serviced yet, it has very little history with it.
    It is an ’05 2.9litre diesel. So i should assume it might need changing then.
    I wouldn’t know where to start at looking under the bonnet, i don’t go there. It’s too dirty. 😳
    Garages see me coming a mile off, typical girl, knows nothing about cars.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How much do you pay for a service and MOT?’ is closed to new replies.