Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 257 total)
  • How many women are on here then?
  • emma82
    Free Member

Just wondered, I reckon about 10 regular posters here? But then usernames can make it difficult to tell. Only ask as I was googling something to do with shecycles earlier to see if it was still around and women don’t tend to hang about much on forums and the forums with ladies only bits seemed to be more inhabited by men. However, I do think that this is one of the best forums, there is a lot to dislike to the others I’ve found but seriously there must be some ladies out there who ride bikes and post on forums? Just not many it seems….. so who is out there? 😮

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*waves* Hey Emma *waves*

TSY (Sammie)

emma82
    Free Member

😀 *waves* big girlie wave back….. 😀

allthegear
    Free Member

Hey Emma – there’s quite a few, really. I have a feeling it’s almost because the number of forums on here is kept to a minimum it is successful and everyone gets along, girls included.

Bex, who edited Shecycles, went on to setup Bike Envy (www.bikeenvy.co.uk) as another girl specific site. She was out in Morzine at the same time as me this year and I got to try out a few things she had for testing.

You’re right that people’s usernames don’t really help us to picture the person we are chatting with – mine being a particular example. Hey ho, we all lead complicated and interesting lives!

I do tend to “sign off” my posts on here with my name to help a little…

Rachel (waves to all!)

Pook

I strongly suspect there are more women on here than who post on here. Mark’s forum rules post has an interesting discussion about it.

I’m not a girl.

iDave
    Free Member

I am a woman and so is my wife

emma82
    Free Member

Mark’s forum rules? I just read them and can’t see anything about women? Apart from the bit about Kylie?

emma82
    Free Member

iDave, I saw a photo of you… you are an unfortunate looking lady but beautiful inside no doubt :mrgreen:

Pook

the discussion further down – I seem to remember some girls commenting on the ‘blokeyness’ of the forum putting people off. I might be confused. Typing, thinking – I can’t multitask!!

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

Me! I’m not much of a “regular poster”, I’m a regular time waster…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The biggest problem I have is finding women to ride with.

Sammie.

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

*waves*
    Hello, more of a lurker than a poster, coz I’m a bit thick and make a wazzock of myself :oops:.

I’m caz by the way 😀

Caz xx

crazy-legs

Mark’s forum rules about cracking down on the number of sexist/misogynist comments that get posted by the occasional sad or deluded forum dweller that fondly believes comments such as “She’d get it” or “I’d do her” are funny and endearing to members of the opposite sex…

Such comments usually put off a lot of women from actually posting. I think the general rule with forums is that the people posting make up about 10% of the actual number of readers.

Off the top of my head:
    cinnamon_girl, bumley, dirtygirlonabike, allthegear, Bunnyhop, Munqe-chick, Sue_W, joolze, MrsToast, MrsFlash.

edit: after reading Caz’s post above I must make note of the word wazzock, I want to use it more often in conversation… 😉

Elsa
    Free Member

Me!!

I also lurk more than post.

🙂

petrieboy

Are there any women here?

emma82
    Free Member

Ah, so there a few of us then, perhaps we should group up and take over the world 🙂
    I’m with tsy with lack of women to ride with although have never had a problem riding with my fella and his mates but they are all very fast and full on iykwim. I hold them up and I don’t really know any women to ride with. One mate does but because of her boyfriend but she just moans all the way round a trail. Constantly. Grrr.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

*waves*

😀

cranberry
    Free Member

Does it count if you are only a Lady on the weekends ?

restless
    Free Member

🙂
    i only just joined this forum a few weeks ago and haven’t posted much yet. i’m here most days though.
    jane

duntstick
    Free Member

Not forgetting the great work SFB is doing to redress the male/female ratio on rides. 🙂
    I think his pics are quite inspirational and show that the girlies can get out there and have fun too.

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

Littlegirlbunny, you are on MTB britain arent you? I was on there, but forgot all my details lol
    Caz xxx

mamadirt
    Free Member

Crazy-legs – you wazzock! You forgot me 🙁 😉

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

*Waves coquettishly*

CHASE ME!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Male:Female – I don’t understand the difference.

I’m ambidextrous if that helps.

juan
    Free Member

Crazy legs forgot a lot of them
    JoJo, tinkerbelle, foxychick, aleigth, mrs_mugsy, sarah (sorry can’t remember her login name) clarrey morris, loulabella.
    If you want to have a rather rough idea you can always have a look here:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mugshots

sharki
    Free Member

yep, i am one.

I make out i’m a bloke so i don’t get picked on or excess interest in my comments because i’m a female.

I learnt at an early age to hide my gender to avoid all that.

Ooops! i guess i just messed that up.

emsz
    Free Member

*waves*

Not been here long.

spacemonkey

I learnt at an early age to hide my gender to avoid all that.

Hmm, how exactly do you achieve that in “the real world?”

emma82
    Free Member

Wow that mugshot thread is epic! If I wasn’t so technically inept I’d resurrect it and post but there’s not a hope in helll I’d manage it

sharki
    Free Member

I don’t need to in the real world.

On the internet and in particular on male dominated forums it’s been a little more important to do so.

Emma82. If you have a flickr, fotopic or more commonly a facebook profile, it’s quite easy.

juan
    Free Member

Hmm, how exactly do you achieve that in “the real world?”

Ermm burka…

Ok I get my coat :'(

Kevevs
    Free Member

with all the macho manly sexist bollox and full on iykwim spouted on here (and I’m sure I’m guilty also in my finer moments) I’m not surprised ladies stay away, I bet you come on here just roll your eyes and just go “what are those daft blokes on about now!” Cycling is for everybody! and so is STW.

juan
    Free Member

Well it will be good to have this one resurrected emma 😉

MrsToast
    Free Member

Oh hai!

I know the mods get a bit of stick for toning stuff down when it gets out of hand, but I think it’s a better place for it. Sometimes I find other forums end up a bit like the letters page of Nuts. Assuming Nuts readers can write, that is.

spacemonkey

Does that mean you think that women struggle to “stand up” in places like this, therefore it’s easier to pretend to be a man?

EDIT: don’t worry, I’m not gonna get psycho-analytical with this

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sometimes I find other forums end up a bit like the letters page of Nuts

God, totally. But then it seems that a lot of the guys I ride with are always trying to exert their masculinity too. Most of them are pussy cats really. 😆

Bunnyhop

There aren’t many of us who post. However there are quite a few female lurkers.

The female regulars on here have been part of STW for a while and have got to know the male contributors to avoid and the ones to have a bit of banter with.

I love it on heremost of the time and have been known to cry with laughter at the humour.

Its always safer on the bike forum.

Blows a kiss to crazy legs.

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes – it’s only very occasionally when something that grinds gets posted – and then the regulars are very good at discouraging it. Really friendly bunch of people!!

Oh – and TSY – I’ve decided to keep the username – as you say, I can’t top it.

Rachel

sharki
    Free Member

No! when i first came on here 4-5 years ago and just lurked.
    There seemed to be a very macho vibe around all the threads.

Many of the comments made from users to female posters were a touch on the perverted side and although it was probably meant in good humour and for some, flattering, I personally felt uncomfortable when wanting to get involved in a topic.

Since then i’ve used a friend of mine and posed as him.
    The truth is, i’m very uncomfortable about my appearance, so by blending in as a bloke has helped me post more.

My mate however hasn’t been so happy with all the guiding he’s done and photo’s of him being put up on here under my user name.

I’a little more comfortable these days hence quietly announcing my gender now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 257 total)

The topic ‘How many women are on here then?’ is closed to new replies.