Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How long for Tour Portes Du Soleil
  • pyro9n
    Free Member

Thinking about doing this loop tomorrow. How long does it take?
    Ridden the parts around Morzine and Les Gets, but what kind of time is realistic for the full lot. Don’t want to get stuck in Morgins 🙂

I ride at a decent level, and have done a fair amount out in the Alpes already.

chakaping
    Free Member

Only done the PPdS myself, which may take longer due to crowds and food stops – but it was a full day’s ride.

We didn’t get all the way round thanks to a couple of time-consuming mechanicals and too much eating.

pyro9n
    Free Member

The eating might be my downfall as well 😛

nickjb
    Free Member

Its a long day. You need to get on the first lift if you want to do the whole thing. You can miss bits if you start to run late. Its a big climb if you miss the last lift and a long drive if you need rescuing. Both these things I know 🙂

cabbage84
    Free Member

Its easily rideable in a day if you struggling for time make sure you do the morzine-les get-morzine bit last as I remember the pleney lift is open till 1730 where a lot of the other lifts close 1630 or 1700

rhys
    Free Member

It’s a funny one. Tried to ride it last year using the guide book but it did not take you down the good bits! E.g. The Chatel run with the gap was missed in favour if a fire road. Needless to say we got the lift back up.

chakaping
    Free Member

The PdS signs also miss out the amazing rooty descent before the switchbacks down into Morzine on the supermorzine side.

dday

Did it this year, started around 09h30, finished around 5. Plenty of time, even with a decent lunch stop. Great day, very well organised. Pretty exhausted by the end of it though, but nothing a good meal and beer couldn’t fix! As for those ‘missed runs’, that’s what the next days for..

tomaso
    Free Member

Almost did it in a day but missed the last cable car from Morzine and had to cycle back to Les Gets. It was made all the worse by a big spill on the drop down to Morzine that totally winded me and shock me up. Nothing a couple of bottles of Leffe couldn’t cure though 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

You may be able to do it in a day, but dont forget you may want to stop to take in the view, eat, fix punctures, mechanicals etc. Also there are options for DH bits etc.

Bear in mind the lift closing times may not be the same as advertised, so allow plenty of time in your assumptions.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Your biggest enemy will be thunder storms coming in and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere; after a few hot days out there, late afternoon storms are quite likely and could, if not shut the lifts all day, delay you for an hour or so.

Early last week, when the weather was worse than it is now, we trekked round to the Mosettes lift only to be turned away, and there wasn’t a hint of any thunder. After pedalling a Sunday from the top of the Super Morzine lift all the way there, I wasn’t best chuffed.

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

Did it this year from les gets, set off a bit after 10, got to the top of the last lift (pleney?) at half 4. Did a decent pace on a 120mm hardtail, ate on the lifts, got sightly lost a few times annnd absolutely soaked in the afternoon, but a great days riding. Take at least 2 sets of spare brake pads!

Spin
    Free Member

At least 2 sets of pads? Are they made of cheese?

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

If it rains, it’s 80km of incredibly abrasive mud, mostly downhill…

cabbage84
    Free Member

If you use sintered pads you will be ok we used the same pads for 6 days of riding in total about 230km of riding and the pads still going strong now after a few rides back in UK.

pyro9n
    Free Member

Left at 1000. Got back into Morzine @ 1710 just missing the last lift to Les Gets, but blagged a lift off the boss, so no long road climb at the end of the day! The trip is worth it for the views. I’m going to spend some more time in the Chatel area as I’m sure there are better options off the main route. Great day out!

pyro9n
    Free Member

Had two punctures and a lost three chain ring bolts which involved a push up the last few climbs as the bike was ghost shifting – so with better luck (or more loctite) you could easily manage it leaving at 1000.

A few people have mentioned dropping off down the Super Morzine run at Avoriaz, into Morzine, which is decent and would be quicker, however the views at Loc Montriond are amazing which you’d miss out on if you go that way.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How long for Tour Portes Du Soleil’ is closed to new replies.