Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • how long does a General Anaesthetic stay in your system/have an effect ?
  • iainc

had a few over the yrs for various minorish ops. Last one 2 weeks ago today. My youngest son had a cold bug last week which I picked up on thu and am really struggling to shake off – like the mother of all colds. Yes, it’s MTFU time I know 🙂 , but wondering if the GA has an effect on recovery etc ?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Opioids and the immune sstem

http://pmj.sagepub.com/content/20/8_suppl/9.abstract

General anaesthesia and the immune system

http://medind.nic.in/iad/t02/i1/iadt02i1p8.pdf

along with general stress caused by the surgery I guess it’s possible. I’m sure someone with clinical experience can weigh in. See a doctor if you feel the infection is bad/on your chest.

br
    Free Member

I couldn’t keep warm for a couple of years after my op. (only one I’ve had, under for 2.5hrs), only this year its not bothered me.

Typical t-shirt in winter Northerner.

crikey
    Free Member

Bit of a long shot to be blaming the GA two weeks on, its much more likely to be just another cold.

iainc

crikey – I tend to agree, just wondering though..

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Took me at least 24 hours to become normal again. Depends on the Anesthetic used tho. I had profopol to be induced which took 7 seconds to send me under.

Spent two hours in recovery after the ops due to very low SATS (Oxygen Saturation levels) of 84.

It may have been to Morphine tho making me quite drowsy.

neninja
    Free Member

There are some really vicious viruses around at the moment.

I’ve had one for about 6 weeks. Elements are a bit like Flu but I’ve had the flu jab – chesty cough, blocked sinuses, headaches, general aching and fatigue etc which for 3 weeks of it totally set off my asthma.

Once I was run down it then lead to a bacterial chest infection and sinusitis which I’ve been on antibiotics for. My Dad and brother in law have both got the exact same bug (also both have the flu jab) and almost all the same symptoms. It’s meant I’ve ridden my bike twice in the past 6 weeks. Very peeved.

There is also a strain of adult whooping cough do the rounds locally.

mrdestructo

Depends if they gave you morphine too in recovery surely? I was delirious for 36hrs once after I had a wisdom tooth cut out of my jaw and they had me on a drip for only 12 minutes in recovery.

yunki
    Free Member

about 17 years

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘how long does a General Anaesthetic stay in your system/have an effect ?’ is closed to new replies.