Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How do you get foam grips on carbon bars?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Bought some Ritchey WCS Ergo foam grips and trying to fit them to my carbon bars (possibly needing to put some bar ends on as well). I’m really struggling to get them more than about 1/2 way on, any tips? I can’t remember how we used to do it back in the 90’s, haven’t used this type of grip for years. ta

aP
    Free Member

Hairspray.

m0rk
    Free Member

I seem to remember soaking (in water) foam grips to slide them on. Probably need to top up the water as they’ll be wrung dry when you grip them

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

tried the wetting with water option and worked. ta

podman
    Free Member

I’d imagine compressed air works well (it does for ESI), or window cleaner.

slinkybike
    Free Member

I was going to say air compressor.

IanW
    Free Member

As above, hairspray sprayed inside the grip , dlide em on leave for 12 hours or so.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve used Ritchey WCS foam grips on all my bikes for 10+ years, I just dip them in a bucket of water and they slide right on, to get them off I carefully slide a small screwdriver between the bar and the grip and squirt some water in the gap and let it work around and they usually slide off pretty easily.

Northwind

Air compressor or failing that a can of “air duster” which is just an aerosol of compressed air- useful for getting them back off too.

onandon
    Free Member

Hairspray always works or me.
    A quick squirt on the bar and in the grip , then on it slides.
    20 mins later it’s set rock solid and ready to go.

DT78
    Free Member

I used wd40…. Someone is going to tell me that’s bad for carbon now…

andysmiff1
    Free Member

I used alcohol gel (hand sanitiser) when fitting some ESI’s a couple of weeks ago-gotta do it quick before it evaporates off but when it does-those grips ain’t moving!

A

andyl
    Free Member

DT78 – Member
    I used wd40…. Someone is going to tell me that’s bad for carbon now…

Yup. It is!

stuarty
    Free Member

Andysmiff you are a genius
    Alcohal gel that might just be as much fun as the brakecleaner soaked rag thrown at the welders feet 😯

druidh
    Free Member

I never use anything to fit them. The trick is to “push” from the end of the bar and then “pull” the bit you’ve squeezed on further up. Pulling them on stretches the foam, tightening it and making it impossible to fit on.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    I never use anything to fit them. The trick is to “push” from the end of the bar and then “pull” the bit you’ve squeezed on further up. Pulling them on stretches the foam, tightening it and making it impossible to fit on.

That worked for one end, just, but the other side wasn’t having it when 1/2 way onto the bar, I tried pushing pulling it on for ages, again and again. A bit of water helped in the end.

I don’t have hairspray, although do admit to it when I was 15 (20 years ago).

jameso

I was advised to try 3M spray adhesive (photo-mount) for foam grips – it’s pretty much a permanent fix if you want them to stay secure in all weathers. If you need to get them off it may involve forcing a chopstick between grip and bar and a lot of faff.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How do you get foam grips on carbon bars?’ is closed to new replies.