Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How can I remove individual strips of wallpaper?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Our kids have just decided they preferred our Laura Ashley wallpaper with added extra crayon effects and we haven’t been able to remove the marks (tried all the usual tips but the wallpaper simply isn’t wipeable so the surface is now ruined.

Fortunately we have enough left-over paper to replace the two strips that were re-coloured – but is there a way of removing two strips in the middle of a wall without ruining the paper either side?

Liftman

Lightly go down the seam with a stanley/craft knife and peel slowly.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Our Laura Ashley wallpaper

😆

RealMan
    Free Member

+1 to both replies.

RustyMac

Stanly knife down the centre of each of the 2 sheets and steam from the middel out.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Wait a few years MF, then replace stuff. Trust me.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Wait a few years MF, then replace stuff. Trust me.

If I didn’t have some left-overs I would do.

Bl00dy kids 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Our Laura Ashley wallpaper

It goes well with this…

teef
    Free Member

Wallpaper expands when you apply the paste and how much depends on how long you allow the paste to soak into the paper. So you may need to experiment with soak times to get the replacement paper to fit the gaps.

jonba
    Free Member

Might be a bit late as you say the surface is ruined but did you try an eraser? The other thing worth a go is a solvent such as nail varnish remover (acetone). If its a wax crayon this might help, be careful though as it may remove ink as well.

Otherwise, to remove just be really careful and start in the middle staying away from the edges. May need to find a way of directing the steam more accurately?

Would it work to just paper over that one strip or is the paper too thick so will look wrong? Might work with thin paper.

seanodav
    Free Member

Teef has it, the chances of you filling the same gap is very slim.
    Normally you need to strip back to the nearest corner ime.
    If it was me i would splice a piece in to replace the damaged bit, not easy though if you dont know what you’re doing.
    Dont go anywhere near it with steam

seanodav
    Free Member

Try some ipa on it, magic stuff!

edit. just noticed this so ipa is no good.

(tried all the usual tips but the wallpaper simply isn’t wipeable so the surface is now ruined.

kaesae
    Free Member

Just draw on their bedroom walls and even the score 😈

chorlton
    Free Member

Assuming the paper was put on properly in the first place with butted joints then you won’t need a knife. You can’t get a good straight line anyway and will show when you put your new piece on and you’ll end up cutting through the lining paper as well.
    Don’t forget, when you pull the paper away from the wall it will probably leave the backing part behind which needs to come off as well to keep it level with the rest, which means you’ll need to carefully wet it with a sponge.
    As long as you soak it as per instructions then the new paper will end up the same width as the old although not perfect so as seanodav says it may be better to go back to the nearest corner.
    You could give the splicing a go first but it depends on the pattern, texture and age of the paper as to how well hidden it’ll be. Done carefully you can’t see the patch.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

M-f, 😆

Haven’t had an excuse to put that one up for ages. Nice one! 😛

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Might be a bit late as you say the surface is ruined but did you try an eraser? The other thing worth a go is a solvent such as nail varnish remover (acetone). If its a wax crayon this might help, be careful though as it may remove ink as well.

Didn’t try an eraser but did try nail varnish remover – it removed the silver finish to the flowery print.

I will have to measure the leftover – I might have enough to go to the closest corner.

Or just leave it.

DD 🙂

seanodav
    Free Member

If you strip both lengths carefully but leave as much as you can on the second length without having any crayon on, run sharp knife down at that point where you want to strip to.
    hang 1st length from good edge towards bad then the second length should overlap the bad edge, at this point when smoothed out, run a very sharp craft knife vertical and as plumb as poss using spirit level as guide through both new and old paper.
    carefully peel back new paper and strip old to the cut you have just made.
    once this is stripped you can stick new paper down so that cut edge becomes the new joint.
    Hope this makes sense!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How can I remove individual strips of wallpaper?’ is closed to new replies.